Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been out for over a week and am going nuts, but that's the way it goes. Bought a new house and having kid three in a week or so, sprung ribs and a sinus infection top off the fun.

At this point, even if I ever get a black belt in BJJ I'll be almost 50 years old so it's not like I'm gonna light the grappling world on fire by working a little harder. I'm just grateful I can still train at all, I took five years off once and it sucked ass.

Ditto to Bry, if you commit to yourself to train that many hours you gotta take care of business at home with the family. I got rid of my xbox when I started training a lot and started doing more dishes, helping put the kids down, etc. I already dropped out of BJJ for September because we have a new baby coming. Just have to buckle down at home for a few weeks. I paid October tuition as insurance so I don't drift away. I also let both my coaches know to remind me to come back in a few weeks.

Another thing is that it's just good self care. Sounds kind of gay, but it's true. If you are someone who loves being on the mat and gets exhilarated by training nothing can change that or replace it and you just get bitter if you have to give it up. Not training was harder on my marriage than being gone 6-8 hours a week to train because I was so miserable. I think I'm a better employee, husband, and dad when I get my grapple on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 1:09pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Morning work outs-do they get easier with time-kind of for me anyway.
    I love lifting weights in the morning. I have tried doing it at lunch or after work, but I am usually not motivated.
    Now my cardio routine is ghastly in the morning. I can't jump rope to save my life before 9am. I usually end up with really sore toes from hitting them with the jump rope. But it doesn't interfere with wife/kids so I still go out there and whip my toes a couple times a week.

Cheers!

Bry

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 4:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    Morning work outs-do they get easier with time-kind of for me anyway.
    I love lifting weights in the morning. I have tried doing it at lunch or after work, but I am usually not motivated.
    Now my cardio routine is ghastly in the morning. I can't jump rope to save my life before 9am. I usually end up with really sore toes from hitting them with the jump rope. But it doesn't interfere with wife/kids so I still go out there and whip my toes a couple times a week.

Cheers!

Bry
    I can run in the AM if I have to, but don't like it. I have committed to myself to do as much of my working out at home as possible so it's pseudo family time. Time away from home is all technique / rolling. I like to skip rope and am watching craigslist for a good rower.

With the baby coming in a week or so, I've lined up some training partners and am ordering a 10x10' mat for the family room at home. Gotta stay creative. Like I said, last time I quit it took me five years to get back. Five years from now I'll be 42, so that would suck.
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 9:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oscar

It seems me and you are the same age and dealing with alot of the same problems.

I have looked into buying a mat for the house, but with all the other expences involved with training, I have been reluctant to push it. Wife has alot of other ideas on what to spend the money on.

Good luck with the new baby. And keep us posted on how things go once the little one arrives.

Bry

Posted On:
    9/07/2006 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    Oscar

It seems me and you are the same age and dealing with alot of the same problems.

I have looked into buying a mat for the house, but with all the other expences involved with training, I have been reluctant to push it. Wife has alot of other ideas on what to spend the money on.

Good luck with the new baby. And keep us posted on how things go once the little one arrives.

Bry
    Thanks Bry. My secret trick to getting mats for home was to enroll the kids in Aikido, LOL. I'm slowly tricking them into becoming judoka.

The ones I'm getting will run me about $500 total and they roll up into 17 inch rolls for storage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2006 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried getting my kids into martial arts, didn't work. I was able to get some new equipment at home since I haven't been able to train in class for the last three weeks, got a staph infection. So the wife has felt sorry for me. Bought a double end bag and a couple of other little things. But wife wants to remodel bathroom and put a fence around the patio so I think those two will come before mats.
    Been in our house two years now so I don't think I can keep putting off the honey-do list.

Bry
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123