Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 3:37pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What really sucks for my training is the practices are from 8pm-11pm on weeknights and I live a half hour away (although I work next door to the gym/dojo) so it killsa bit. Basically I just need to keep at it and paced, sounds good. Maybe a morning workout if I can spare the shut eye.

Salary Man is what the japanese call a white collar worker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaryman

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 3:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    What really sucks for my training is the practices are from 8pm-11pm on weeknights and I live a half hour away (although I work next door to the gym/dojo) so it killsa bit. Basically I just need to keep at it and paced, sounds good. Maybe a morning workout if I can spare the shut eye.

Salary Man is what the japanese call a white collar worker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaryman

Damn, man! Find a school that trains during normal human hours. Who the hell wants to work out until 11:00p.m.?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 4:22pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its ike celery man training, but with a lower water content...

The UK is a bit **** for 24 hours gyms (well where i live is) so i just get to classes two- three times a week and do weights at home, or work a slightly later day and go in the morning, when im not a cripple. but as someone said, meals get really really simple.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow this is a tough question. I mainly solve the time problem by being 20 years old and in school, with no other obligations!( this semester mostly online classes). I'm just rubbing it in sorry man!

Don't know how you guys that work full time and such do it but I assume if like me you have no other intersts it works out well. I go to the 24 hr gym and schedule my work/school around my BJJ classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 2:08pm

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a wanna be fighter I have run into this same problem.
    I am married with three kids and a 40 hr/week job-sometimes more.
    I work out at gym Mon-Wed-Fri before work, Tue-Thurs morning is bag work stuff, Tuesday and Thursday is 5:30-7:30pm class, Wed 7:30-9pm class, Sat 11-1pm class.
    I run on Monday and Friday nights.
    The time I am home, I have made it a big point to do things with the family.
    I cook Mon-Wed-Fri-Sat-Sun nights. I make sure I spend at least 45 min a night talking with wife and family.
    I cut out video games except the occasional weekend. I generally made a unspoken agreement with the wife that if I trained this much, then I would make sure I gave her and the family attention when I was home.
    Before I got into MMA I spent more time playing on the computer and reading then I did interacting with the family. At first the wife didn't believe me but when I cancelled both of my World of Warcraft accounts she realized I was serious.
    Don't get me wrong-occasionally I will get a remark about never being home. This is my clue that I have gotten lazy.
    Hope that helps.

Bry

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 3:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I am in a very similar situation Bry. I am newly married (2 months) and a former WoW addict. My computer broke before the wedding which seemed to free me. It still lies in disrepair because MA has filled the void. I see my wife more, even with the training since a computer screen != wife, and the relationship is even better than before the marriage.

The big reason I am worried about training times is I wish to tag on a second art, most likely BJJ/MMA if the school I am looking at lets me. My current schedule is Tues/Thurs 8-11pm, Sat 2-5pm for Tomiki practices. The BJJ/MMA stuff would lock me into 1-2 nights a week of 8-10pm classes in addition to my Tomiki stuff.

The mornings suck as it is, do early morning workouts get easier over time?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:05pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you live close enough, do your roadwork on the way to work. If you have a gym at work, use it in the morning and/or lunch. 1-2 classes a week for a newlywed is good. Get your wife interested in the martial arts, and you can make even more classes, this is kje

Once you add kids to the picture, it becomes even harder to find the time to train.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread hits very close home for me. I've been one month w/o training because I've been working 10:30-8:30 non-stop, and most likely the month of September is going to be the same again :angry4:

My BJJ class starts at 7 and ends at 8:30, with sparring until 9 or beyond. So as yu can see, I have a dilemma with my current job schedule. It's been like that for almost anything, gym, dancing, BJJ, etc. :icon_cry:

The one thing I always try to do is find the closest place either to my home or to work. If I have to drive more than 30 minutes it's out of the question for me. My current BJJ school is just about 15 minutes from work or home, so that's good. I'm also lucky that from work there are several muay thai, bjj, judo, san shou and vale tudo schools within 30 minutes driving distance.

I can only praise those that have kids and still manage to train. That requires some good managerial skills and dedication, I tell you that.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got the wife/child/mortgage/job thing going on, as well.

I train Tuesdays and Thurdays from 1830 - 2130 and some Saturday mornings, though not as many as before the little one.

It's a choice. Do you value your training enough to keep it up? I personally feel that my time in class keeps me sane at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 11:23pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 hours X 3 times a week, if you're not getting in a good work out during that time you could have one of two problems: 1. gym sucks, get a new one with a harder training regiment. 2. you're taking a laxidaisical approach.

I'm in the same boat, with almost the same schedual. I'm lucky in the repsect that I have both freewieghts and kickboxing in the same location and its 15 mins away. during that time I do my basic conditioning routine and lifting during the first hour. the next two I use for training in my art during the class. The key is to manage your time at the gym, don't stand around talking or waste any time-youre paying for it after all. A good way to save some time too is to come stretched out, so you can go right to it. Carry your water with you and time everything with a watch, so you can set a pace. My first hour or so looks like this:

12min jumprope (10min +2min rest)
    10min~ sand bag routine ---shin conditioning/combo drills for warm up
    squatsX4 15min
    leg machines 10 min (quad and hammy 2X12)
    dips 3X12
    pushups 25X5 (or until class begins)

This varies per day depending on what I'm working on. For me this leaves not much time to waste, its not professional level, but its taxing and thats the point.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast