Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 10:41am

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1- they should change the schools name to Premiere Martial System. Or PMS for short.

2- If that chick with the red gloves in the left hand corner of the menu screeen is over 18 I would **** her.

3- I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this thread.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 8/30/2006 10:43am at . Reason: add

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:13am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Satori ! You got me freaked out now! I really don't want to ask for a referral though. I feel like he's going to try and talk me into staying etc. It's like breaking up with a clingy girlfriend. The school I want to go to has a competition team and everything. I don't think the head instructors MMA record is that great, but he has loads of grappling experience, and supposedly was involved in the creation of the ADCC. They even had a commercial during last weeks episode of TUF season 4! DO you think they're not going to take me seriously?

Also, Datdamnmachine - I found out about this whole changeover on saturday, a fellow student had a private session with our head instructor, and he told him how they were changing the format, etc. B/c PMA offered them more in the ways of Marketing, etc. so it's definately all about the $$$. I got sick when he was saying how they were going to start pushing TKD ....
    Last edited by Copperpot; 8/30/2006 11:21am at .

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:24am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone know anything about these Premier people? They must be seriously big, because they took over the major McDojo in my home town (that in England for those who can't be arsed to read my location), what are the (forgive the pun) the McDonalds of McDojos? Having franchise owners run off the company name for recognition?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:35am

Style: Bok Fu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    I found out about this whole changeover on saturday, a fellow student had a private session with our head instructor, and he told him how they were changing the format, etc. B/c PMA offered them more in the ways of Marketing, etc. so it's definately all about the $$$. I got sick when he was saying how they were going to start pushing TKD ....
    Copperpot, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Can't imagine how it must feel to have a school you put time and effort into turn around and sell out in such a way. Hopefully the new (and closer) school works out, good luck to you!

:blob5:

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - Mention Bruce lee & UFC on instuctor page check!

Brandon Durham also clamis
    Throughout the 80's and 90's Sifu competed in several point and full contact tournaments. These early competitions helped Master Durham later develop the components of Black Dragon Martial Arts
    Can someone with a better idea of there way round sherdog etc check this?

The other instructor:
    Aaron Smith (1st Degree)
    ...teaches our PMA and Gracie jiu-jitsu programs. He holds a 2nd Degree Black Belt in PMA, a black belt in kung-fu and a blue belt with 4 stripes in Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
    BB in chinese sytem intresing... also no mention of the style of kung-fu is this normal in ligitemate areas?
    Last edited by Nate1481; 8/30/2006 12:28pm at .
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 11:49am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, Aaron trained with Brandon for many years under some instructor.

As far as the technique of Aaron and Brandon, they are both legitimate. Brandon is definately a talented grappler and martial artist. I've seen him roll with purple belts from other schools (during a Royce Gracie seminar), and he seemed to kick the crap out of the other purples. I did seem him, however get tossed around by a brown belt from a different school (who is currently being promoted to black).

Aaron is also a very good bjj player, but I haven't heard of any competitions he's competed in.

As for sherdog, I've never heard Brandon or Aaron make any claims as to having competed in MMA. Honestly they're all nice people, and tallented MAers, and they've never said anything that recorded spikes on my Bullshidometer, but they seem to have sold out big time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 2:47pm

Style: pa-kua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    It's so weak...THe gracie jiu jitsu program section seems tacked on like an afterthought. Uggh.
    Even worse, they managed to make it sound like a cheap training system, kinda like one of the SD seminars McDojos sell to women (pay $200 and in 2 hours you can defend yourself against any opponent anywhere!). It makes it sound like you don't have to train to get good, or that if your a 100 pound smoker with asthma you'll have no problem learning it.

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 1:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Choy Li Fut Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

sad but true

I came home from college this summer and decided to stop by the school to say hi to sifu and si-hing (even after the westernization of the school I'm clinging to tradition). I'd passed by before and seen signs in the windows advertizing the new martial art du jour but thought nothing of it (sifu has always been an entrepreneur and i was around when he first introduced Gracie Jiu Jutsu to the school). What really let me down was when I received a copy of their schedule and nowhere on it did i see mention of Kung Fu of any sort. I knew the adult classes weren't getting much turnout, but I used to be an assistant instructor in the kids programs and the turnout was huge (more often than not, filling the entire studio).
    I worked at a wine store in the same shopping center this summer and I noticed some business cards for "Premier Martial Arts", and i put two and two together... All I can say is that I'm kind of ashamed that the same sifu that taught me all I know about Choy Li Fut and Lama Pai, is more concerned with the money than with what it is he's teaching. Perhaps the severity of the change is what turns me off the most: When I joined the school It was a branch of Master Parella's Kung Fu, Michael Parella being one of Chan Tai-San's disciples (as was Brandon). All the names of the techniques were in cantonese as were classroom phrases (counting, bowining in, thanking the sifu). We all knew what we were learning - a combination of Choy Li Fut and Lama Pai that had been taught to Brandon by Si Gung Chan Tai-San himself.
    After a few months, Brandon bought out the franchise changing it to Black Dragon Kung Fu. A short while after the change and the cantonese in the classroom stopped almost entirely, as did some of the formality (at least, in the newer members). A few more months and Sifu brought back a new style - gracie jiu jutsu. It was a welcome change by most, but I was confused as Choy Li Fut is known to incorporate grappling extensively into the style. Also, the Gracie system created a division in the school - grappling was no longer taught as part of the Kung Fu curricculum; one had to pay extra to learn that.
    I guess it's been a long change, but I don't think gradual would be an appropriate word.
    I'm just wondering what Sifu's gonna do with the giant neon "Kung Fu" sign above the studio. Can I have it?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 9:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali, TKD, Jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least they grapple a little. There's an ATA (Super McDojo) for sale in Chanhassan Minn, supposedly and they just play tag with a wavemaster. ATA vs Premier battle of the McDojos. How much does a McDojo cost I wonder?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate1481
    - Mention Bruce lee & UFC on instuctor page check!

Brandon Durham also clamis Quote:
    Throughout the 80's and 90's Sifu competed in several point and full contact tournaments. These early competitions helped Master Durham later develop the components of Black Dragon Martial Arts
    Can someone with a better idea of there way round sherdog etc check this?

Brandon Durham also clamis Can someone with a better idea of there way round sherdog etc check this?
    Master Ike Bear is the head of the Black Dragon Kung Fu system, located in St. Louis MO. You can email him at ProfIkeBear@gmail.com and see if he knows anything about this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12