Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 9:12pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Just to veer of slightly I have a question that doesn't really deserve it's own thread. Seeing as BJJ is trained both with a gi and without, do Judoka ever train no gi?
    Some, if not few. Most don't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 9:17pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a couple questions that are not deserving of a new thread.

What exactly do you guys mean by "aliveness" and "stiffness" or any other buzz word I probably should know?

I have the option of taking BJJ, Judo, or Aikido. I'm pretty sure Im not going to do try Aikido because its outrageously expensive and i alread shell out a lot of monkey for JKD, the other two are reasonably price. Should I take BJJ or Judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 9:33pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gi is important to hide ones beer belly. Looks at self and sigh!

GMW

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/05/2006 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    i have a couple questions that are not deserving of a new thread.

What exactly do you guys mean by "aliveness" and "stiffness" or any other buzz word I probably should know?

I have the option of taking BJJ, Judo, or Aikido. I'm pretty sure Im not going to do try Aikido because its outrageously expensive and i alread shell out a lot of monkey for JKD, the other two are reasonably price. Should I take BJJ or Judo?
    You'll do fine by doing either. If you could cross train in both, that'd be kick ass. I guess you should try both and see which one you like more. But if you could do both (either simultaneously or do one well and then try the other), that'd be fine.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "stiffness" (though I would assume it means resistance.) However, regarding aliveness, it means energy (training against truly resisting opponents), timing (knowing when to do things), and motion (.ie. footwork).

Check out the following clip for a good discussion of what aliveness is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AWfK6aqWiNU

Same with these links:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=252
    http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/200...aliveness.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:24am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To whoever said a judo pin is "playing for points" - a judo pin builds to ippon because of the existance of GNP in the real world. This is the reason osekomi is busted if your legs aren't based.

If submission and position are sabatoging aspects of game, then BJJ>Judo>wrestling is a spectrum. But do they sabatoge each other? I don't think so. I think one builds on another.

Now, if you look at takedowns as a spectrum it runs judo>wrestling>bjj

If you look at only submissions?

BJJ>Judo>Wrestling.

I train judo with some ex-wrestlers, and they are bulls. They clamp on like a mother. They try to make every aspect of a pin an ordeal.

Bjj beats judo in terms of guard game, pretty much without debate. This is something of a product of judo play not offering time to work into guard... Bjj offers more submissions, and more refined sweeps. Bjj trains nogi and judo usually doesn't.

I'm hanniballing here. I guess what I'm trying to say is fill the whole in *your* game, and don't take aikido.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A small point for consideration. If you want to play Aikido by all means go ahead. But it I were to make a reccomendation, Look for a Tomiki School or one associated with Tomiki (Fugakukai for example). Tomiki is very direct, and removes all of the fluff from the game. It may also be helpful for when you do not want to go the ground and mess up your nice clothes. And you minimize he risk of loosing footing as if you were to throw a kick. You will also find that the similarities in the Tachiwaza are almost identical to classical Judo, aswell as the Kozushi. I am a big fan of Unsoku and even use it when I box, alot translates very well.

You will also find that some traditional Judo schools will offer Tomiki,look into it and have fun. The only things I feel you should factor it is: Quality of instruction, Cost, Time, and the desire you have to study.

Good luck, and have fun.

LG

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I train judo with some ex-wrestlers, and they are bulls. They clamp on like a mother. They try to make every aspect of a pin an ordeal.
    Gold :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lovegod you wouldn't happen to be related to Hannibal by any chance would you?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345