Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 4:33am

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo newaza stiffer vis-a-vis BJJ?

Hello people,

I was lurking at E-budo and I came across these two post and thought it is interesting what the poster said. Click on here
    and here. What do you guys/gals think, do you agree/not agree?

Personally I am into judo rather than BJJ, and if I ever get into katamae-waza, I tend to hold on to randori partner like dear life and wait for the 25 seconds count. I tend to be stiff and muscle my way to get the ippon.

I have heard some aikido-ka said BJJ is like aikido on the ground; i.e., very rolly, blendy and flow with the go. Is that a fair description of BJJ?

Thank you.

GMW.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 5:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    I have heard some aikido-ka said BJJ is like aikido on the ground; i.e., very rolly, blendy and flow with the go. Is that a fair description of BJJ?

Thank you.

GMW.
    No. Choke them out for trying to validate what they do by attempting to link it with bjj.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 6:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    flow with the go.
    Rickson... is that you?
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 7:51am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello people,

Personally I am into judo rather than BJJ, and if I ever get into katamae-waza, I tend to hold on to randori partner like dear life and wait for the 25 seconds count. I tend to be stiff and muscle my way to get the ippon.
    See this is one of those things that bugs me about some players. Playing for the points like that, in BJJ or Judo, to me gets in the way of the practical aspects of the art. Also, it's kinda weak. Always go for the win man. Whether it be a KO, a Pin (wrestling) or a tap, always go for the win.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 8:11am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far I've only trained at two separate BJJ-, two SJJ- and one judo club. The judoka and SJJ players have all had a much tighter (not always from muscling but quite often) grappling game. No BJJ player has ever squeezed the air out of me so hard that I tapped from it. At the judo club, this happens very frequently.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    So far I've only trained at two separate BJJ-, two SJJ- and one judo club. The judoka and SJJ players have all had a much tighter (not always from muscling but quite often) grappling game. No BJJ player has ever squeezed the air out of me so hard that I tapped from it. At the judo club, this happens very frequently.
    It's the osaekomi game in a (good) Judoka's arsenal. I'm always getting tapped with both, but the feelign is different. In BJJ, the guys just walk through my craptacular guard, and no matter what I do, they are like swirling spaghetti, and by the time I realized I'm at the receiving end of a kimura or RNC.

With the judo guys, I just get bulldozed, flattened like a tortilla. Good judoka train and train their holds and pins ad nauseum. BJJers don't because in their game, a pin is not a win (so they concentrate in other areas that make more sense for their game.)

The only one guy I've felt the same bulldozing effect in my BJJ class is a dude who has done wrestling. His pins are not as nasty as what I've seen in judoka, but they are nasty nonetheless.

Once you get held in a pin, the best thing to start with is by working your way towards NOT having your back flat, tilt yourself a bit on your hips or shoulders.
    The flatter your back is, the more effective the pin is applied to you. And if you are doing judo, try to scramble into a turtle; try to outmuscle, just don't stay flat.

Leaving my back flat and lying there thinking what the **** to do w/o actually trying anything is a mistake I keep doing all the time.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:10am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello people,

I was lurking at E-budo and I came across these two post and thought it is interesting what the poster said. Click on here
    and here. What do you guys/gals think, do you agree/not agree?

Thank you.

GMW.
    Aikido =/= BJJ

That's pretty much it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point system of Judo is different from BJJ. Judo in its simplicity, requires clear physical domination of an opponent to score. Sub, pin and throw are all clear and deciding events that are easily displayed.

BJJ is more geared toward a slower developing game and clear dominance in one area. There is only the Submission as a full score. Throw/pin mean little to nothing but positional dominance is factored in. There is points given on the danger placed on the opponent, even if the position is escaped.

Depends on what you like. The end result dictates the mentality of the practicioners.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:22am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always find it funny how on the one hand, judo is the gentle art, a game of subtle action and reaction, with its ideal of maximum effect with minimal effort, then it hits the ground it's JUST FUCKEN MUSCLE OUTTA DAT ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:26am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperpot
    See this is one of those things that bugs me about some players. Playing for the points like that, in BJJ or Judo, to me gets in the way of the practical aspects of the art. Also, it's kinda weak. Always go for the win man. Whether it be a KO, a Pin (wrestling) or a tap, always go for the win.
    Uh, holding onto osae-komi for 25 seconds in Judo IS going for the win. (Dammit, I'm getting old. In my days, it was 30 seconds!)
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast