Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 6:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

red dragon is okay!

I recently earned my bb at red dragon i glendora, ca.(4 years of study)...Having read the posts here I'd like to put in my two cents. I researched extensively karate/tkd schools in my area and found that RDK offered a great environment and comprehensive study of the martial arts (heavy on shotokan and tae kwan do). The sparring was more than tag...I saw several guys break noses and separate ribs etc....I'm in my mid thirties and some of the "code of the dragon" stuff etc was corny...but lets be honest...in order to stay in business these karate schools are forced to market to kids...and kids love that stuff...Would u tell parents that the sparring gets bloody?? Hell no you wouldnt....I'd say only 3% of adults stayed with it thru to black belt so u have to gear your product to children and parents. Was it possibly overpriced at $140/month...yes. Was there a little milking of customers on the price of weapons/uniforms etc...? At first I thought so but realized the quality of their stuff was far superior to what I found online. There were no shortcuts there regarding testing etc. There was a bb club and a masters club for an extra fee each. I avoided these and there was no pressure to join them from the owner. I think with any karate school you have to keep your eyes open and take from it all u can. I found Red Dragon to be great fun, a great workout, and a great achievement. More importantly I feel confident my skills get can me out of trouble if necessary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:22pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take your kid to a Judo school. Or if his school has a wrestling program, sign him up. Grappling will get him in great shape (fewer fat kids in Judo than Karate), teach him discipline without any marketing gimmicks, and if he gets in a fight with a bully, he will be able to take him to the ground and control him rather than trading punches and kicks (which are frowned upon by school officials)

Here's a link to the USJA club finder. Search by state. There's lots of Judo in California.

http://usjamanagement.com/public/charteredClubs/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, use this to find a club, it's better:

http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/bro...ate=California

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 10:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like it's Chris Casamassa's father. He was in a tonne of MA related movies and that silly WMAC Masters Karate show on Saturday mornings.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 11:19am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeone
    I recently earned my bb at red dragon i glendora, ca.(4 years of study)...Having read the posts here I'd like to put in my two cents. I researched extensively karate/tkd schools in my area and found that RDK offered a great environment and comprehensive study of the martial arts (heavy on shotokan and tae kwan do). The sparring was more than tag...I saw several guys break noses and separate ribs etc....I'm in my mid thirties and some of the "code of the dragon" stuff etc was corny...but lets be honest...in order to stay in business these karate schools are forced to market to kids...and kids love that stuff...Would u tell parents that the sparring gets bloody?? Hell no you wouldnt....I'd say only 3% of adults stayed with it thru to black belt so u have to gear your product to children and parents. Was it possibly overpriced at $140/month...yes. Was there a little milking of customers on the price of weapons/uniforms etc...? At first I thought so but realized the quality of their stuff was far superior to what I found online. There were no shortcuts there regarding testing etc. There was a bb club and a masters club for an extra fee each. I avoided these and there was no pressure to join them from the owner. I think with any karate school you have to keep your eyes open and take from it all u can. I found Red Dragon to be great fun, a great workout, and a great achievement. More importantly I feel confident my skills get can me out of trouble if necessary.
    You should be ashamed making us read in such a format.

You just described a Mcdojo my friend. Mcdojo doesn't necessarily mean bad martial arts just a extremely profit driven school. I've met enough of the Red Dragon guys over the years and my experience is less than admirable including some direct run ins with Chris Cassamasas himself. I found 70% of them to be very full of themselves.

Case in point I fought one of their guys in a full contact tournament. I complimented the guy for going hard and his response was "That wasn't even hard". My comment was "**** you then". After some exchange of words where I lectured the guy in taking a compliment gracefully I welcomed him back out on the mat in which he declined. One of their instructors whined and complained at every tournament she ever went to.

Does this reflect on all Red Dragon instructors and students? No, but these were my experiences. I'm happy that you're happy with them.

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 1:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Red Dragon Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Red Dragon experience

This is an old thread but I came across it and wanted to put my experience out there. I studied Red Dragon Karate for about five years and am a black belt in the style/system.
    I felt the martial arts training I recieved was very good. I did a lot of studio shopping before joining them. In comparison to other studios(in example SKA shotokan, JKA shotokan, San-soo) I felt the training was superior. The instructors take the time to teach you the basics until youv'e mastered them before moving on. I noticed other styles have you learn the moves,even if done incorrectly, and move on then clean up your technique later. I will say though that it depends on what studio you attend.
    Yes it is a Mcdojo for sure and some studios are more geared towards adults and some more towards children.
    It is also true that there are some very cocky people( Iv'e had my share of dealings with them). I was never like that and I met a lot of great instructors out there.
    From my limited time there the style is shotokan attacks, judo throws but with circular movement from a "kung-fu" or natural stance. Judo is part of the curriculum but only more towards sho-dan and above.
    In closing my overall experience was a good one. I think for children it's great. For adults it's great but it's not an easy style to learn correctly. You will have to put a lot into it. Iv'e tried to be as unbiased as possible and hope this helps anyone who wanted an insider view on the RDK style.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 10:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that Red Dragon BB breeds a bunch of fucking paranoid retards. Seriously what's with these guys. The thread is brought up and dies without much controversy and then resurrected 3 years later and goes dead and then you feel the need to resurrect it again. Seriously just start a different thread.

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 12:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Red Dragon Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize if you are offended by my posting on this thread. The intent was to inform not offend or start any controversy. I felt that for someone surfing for information on the style my posting would be of more help on this thread along with everyone else's opinions. In regards to your colorful language ; I suggest you take a look at RDK yourself for some classes. You may learn some respect, courtesy, and how to convey your thoughts in a more adult manner. (both in real life and while hiding behind a keyboard). End of conversation.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 12:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Red Dragon"

Is that that name of the dojo or the actual style of the Karate-do ?

Is it of Japanese or western origin ?

If it's Japanese (which I doubt) who was the the style founder and when ?

If it's of western origin who was the founder and what was their background before creating it ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 12:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine-Wave View Post
    I apologize if you are offended by my posting on this thread. The intent was to inform not offend or start any controversy. I felt that for someone surfing for information on the style my posting would be of more help on this thread along with everyone else's opinions. In regards to your colorful language ; I suggest you take a look at RDK yourself for some classes. You may learn some respect, courtesy, and how to convey your thoughts in a more adult manner. (both in real life and while hiding behind a keyboard). End of conversation.
    *Read these comments and realize I'm not challenging you to a fight.

1. You live in LA I live in SB I will be more than happy to tell you this face to face.

2. Don't lecture me on respect. I'm not offended by your post. Just because you don't know the basic etiquette around here it's not my fault. That's lack of respect on your behalf.

So I guess my original assessment of RDK was right. They do breed arrogant blackbelts.

Now after this if you still have your underwear in a twist and you want to come knock my block off we can do this. Loser buys the beer though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast