Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 8:49pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Red dragon mcdojo or no?

Being as though most of you are fonts of knowledge in MA's and have much more text book knowledge than I, I invite you to view the following page http://www.reddragonkarate.com/default.asp
    and tell me what you think. I looked there today for my son, and was not pleased. if any of you have studied here... let me know if my impressions were wrong, and if the instructor was just having a bad day....

the one thing that stood out to me, was that the instructors were called shihan sensei... isn'tit usually one or the other?

btw... they refer to saprring as a special game of tag...... lol.
    Last edited by aikiguy; 8/28/2006 8:54pm at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 8:59pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    # Highlights of Shi-Han Sensei professional achievements.

# A U.S. Marine decorated in the service to his country 1958-1963.
    # Began studying Judo in Japan in 1958.
    # Trained at the Kodokan in Japan 1958-1963. His instructor was Tochiko Yogami.
    # Risei Kano, son of Dr. Jigaro Kano, promoted Shi-Han Sensei to black belt in Judo. He was one of the first ten Americans ever to be promoted on December 8, 1960-he received his 1st Degree Black Belt in Judo at the Kodokan in Japan .
    # Opened the first Red Dragon Karate in Bethlehem , Pennsylvania in 1966.
    # Voted policeman of the year of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Police Force. 1967

This is not so bad. If it's all true, than that's a very good judo pedogree, at least.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Allow me to be first to comment. The name is a dead giveaway for one thing. When I went to the link , first thing to catch my eye was some crap about a quest for excellence and then something about "The code of the dragon".
    I felt I neeed read no further.... AVOID!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:23pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Special game of tag? Geez...point sparring. Whoopie...

And 'Red Dragon'...well...I hope Mavado doesn't hear about this. Otherwise he'll be adding more then Kano to his list....

Anyway: I'm not really one of the better suited members to be telling you whether or not this is a good place to train. I'm sure one of them will be along soon.

For those browsing, this is there 'compitition' thing.

Kata- A kata is a routine of self-defense moves put together in a pre arranged pattern. Competitors are judged by Black Belt officials and scored based on their balance, focus, power, intensity and degree of difficulty. Beginners traditionally perform the “Tioga’s” and then progress to the American forms. Often called Open Kata because the type of form that is allowed is not restricted. The most popular forms performed in Kata division are the dynamic American forms featuring spin, jump and flip techniques, fast punch and kick combinations.

Weapons- Scored similar to kata except they add the overall control of the weapon into the scoring. Another ‘Open’ division, where a participant can demonstrate their skills in a kata that features various martial arts weapons like the knunchaku, Bo staff and Kamas.

Sparring- a special game of tag where martial arts skills are used to win points. Matches are won when a participant gets five points or the highest score at the end of two minutes. There are two corner judges and a center judge or referee to call each match and there needs to be a majority decision for a point to be called. Score one point for a punch to the body, two points for a kick to the body and one point for a kick to the groin. There is no face contact allowed for any of the color belt divisions, and chest / rib protectors are required for competitors’ age 17 and younger. Good sportsmanship and a high level of respect are a must for this division.

Musical- your favorite weapon form or kata set to music, a very dynamic and fun division. Ask your Sensei or Shi-Han for help on music selection.

Showmanship- Special demonstrations: team katas; fight sketches and other special demos with 2 or more participants often performed with music. Ask your Sensei if you want to participate and check the tournament flier for rules regarding this division.

Traditional Forms- these are the Katas handed down through the generations from Japan, Okinawa and Korea. They emphasize power, precise technique, low stances and intensity. Wearing a ‘traditional’ gi or uniform is recommended but not required. See your Sensei for more details on this division.

Oh HELL they have musical kata AND Point sparring...*sigh* My inexperienced mind cannot describe the opinion this will get.

So i'll let the better suited members take it from here.

Arg. i was beaten to the first post cuz my computer was being mean to me.

Can someone explain how this guy could get decorated as a Marine while studying at Kodokan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:37pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...."and one point for a kick to the groin."

Sure this aint WC?

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:40pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The unrelenting patriotism which boiled down to "America YAY!" almost made me sick.
    In keeping with yankee ingenuity and American tradition he took the best 7 major martial arts forms and combined them into one new powerful and effective style which is known as the Red Dragon style of martial arts.
    Because no-one ever thought of doing this before. In history. Ever.

He started his martial arts training in his native country of Iran at the age of 9. His real training didn’t start until he came to the United States, at the age of 16, when he began training in Red Dragon Karate under Shihan Louis D. Casamassa
    America has 'teh R3AL training!'

As Americans, we all know the value of competition
    Can anyone explain the value of competition to me? I am after all only English.

The entire fucking site is the MA equivalent of the films U-571, Pearl Harbour and Independence Day.

Rant over.

The site claims the school combines the following:
    The American Style of karate taught in each Red Dragon Studio is a combination of the 7 major Oriental styles of martial arts. It is a very fast and powerful martial arts for that requires each student’s desire, effort ad commitment to excel.

The martial arts style included in American Karate include:

Japanese (Judo, Aikido, Shotokan)
    Chinese (Kung Fu, Wing Chung, Kun Tao, Kenpo)
    Korean (Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Moddykwan)
    Okinawan (Go Ju Ryu, Isshin Ryu)
    Indonesian (Javanese Silat, Penjack Silat)
    Filipino (Kali Escrima, Thai Kickboxing)
    Tibetan (The Monks, forms, animal styles)
    Which isn't bad if it's true, but could easily be a nice selection of words that are in the public consciousness to make it attractive to parents.

They do compete, but have a weapons and musical division, which is a big indicator of McDojo status.

Their head instructor has (if true) an impressive Judo pedigree (as Scrapper has already mentioned) but it's unclear as to how much direct teaching or even influence he has over the syllabus and standards. Also apart from his First Dan in Judo there's no other mention of where he got his promotions/gradings from (with the exception of his self-created American Karate Kung-Fu Federation) which could mean he's one of these self promoted 'Masters' like Jacques Patenaude.

I would say investigate further, but if you were only looking at it for your kid and weren't impressed, I'd say don't bother. Go with your instincts, find the kid something that'll develop into viable combat skills later in life and take him to a BJJ, Judo or Boxing club.

As ColonelPong said, AVOID!

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he had actual more familiarity with the styles he claims to teach, one would think he would list his credentials as he did with Judo. To be frank, I would not be surprised if his serious study ended with his shodan in Judo.

--J.D.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked his judo stuff...but it was 40 years ago and it does not appear to have found it's way into his current curriculum.

I would look elsewhere.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 9:50pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me or is that a few more styles then seven?

And when did Muay Thai become Filipino?

And, adding onto that: Isn't Okinawa part of japan now?

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 10:01pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosai
    Is it just me or is that a few more styles then seven?

And when did Muay Thai become Filipino?

And, adding onto that: Isn't Okinawa part of japan now?
    Evidently Mathematics, Geography and Modern History aren't on the curriculum.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast