I'm an asshole.
    Fixed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 5:51pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Riddler I really don't see the need to become so upset simply due to the fact that a few gentlemen in the gym failed to lift their pinky while sipping tea. Seriously if this gets under your skin you need to find a better way of de-stressing. In the gym I go to, guys routinely forget to put their weights back on the rack. The guy who "stole" your seat probably just thought you were finished with your sets and were too lazy to re-rack the weights. There is one guy in particular at my gym who does a leg press with 1000 pounds. The fucker always does 3 sets and leaves without even attempting to remove the **** load of weight he put on it.

From the other point of view, earlier this week I was in the gym with only one other person. This man started off by placing weights on around 5 or 6 machines. After completing one set, he switched machines. He did this until he had done at least 2 sets per machine. He seemed to think that he "owned" all 5 machines for the entire duration of his workout and that I couldn't use any of them while he was in the gym. So 1 man tied up 5 machines for nearly 30 minutes.

Just take a breather man. Every gym has a few jackasses. The gentleman you spoke of probably didn't mean to offend you. If he continues to bother you then calmly explain the gym rules. If he still fucks up then you should get pissed.
    Last edited by Shamash; 8/29/2006 5:53pm at . Reason: Typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 6:21pm

Style: Hashashin.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    It wasn't trivial for him, obviously. Maybe he had chest surgery and could barely lift 70lbs a few months ago?
    You're right. I just used the standard of the working class. Since most of us are working class, and thus have a very good chance of doing physical labor...most adults on Earth can probably bench 115 for 6 reps or whatever it was.

When I first started lifting, I benched 90lbs. Not everybody is strong. I'm still not strong. When I hit 115 it was an accomplishment for me. I'm not the type to yell, but that guy was obviously happy.
    There is no shame in benching 30 lbs. Improvement is great. But judging an event by the standards of a society...isn't that sensible? Is everything relative to the point of accomplishment having no general meaning? (Aside from the definition).

If a mentally retarded person learns how to do some thing which is trivial for the normal person, I wouldn't say, "Hey! Calm down 'tard!" But in terms of normal humans, which they probably were...I think it's relevant to have standards of achievement, especially in physical results. (You recall standard placement tests, SATs, etc? They're all done for that same benchmarking reason, to define educational or some other kind of achievement, roughly).

In conclusion: who the **** cares if you think it's trivial or not? He pushed himself and made a gain and he was happy about it.
    Yes, you're right. It's insensitive of me to compare him to a human average. And really, despite the probably larger group of people who work physical jobs vs. people who don't, there are also 1/6th people suffering from malnutrition or starvation, and that population probably has a large portion who can't bench 90 lbs, let alone 115.

Bumping into you while squatting can do some nasty stuff, but it didn't look like he did it on purpose. People with iPods tend to be assholes. That's why I only bought a nano.
    Serious injury could have resulted. Most likely the guy was nervous, he probably is new to lifting and wasn't feeling comfortable. There's a chance he didn't understand how badly a person can get hurt by twisting around and falling with lots of weight on them, etc.

But the two guys on the bench didn't come there to for you. They came there to work out however they see fit. If they are excessively loud and rude, then yeah, 45lb plate to the face city, but it's not like he was in your face.
    You challenge my right to judge their accomplishment, but you judge their character as well. If they were loud and rude, why not put their accomplishment into perspective?

Edit: Also, the issue isn't whether anyone cares about my opinion. If all of us didn't offer our opinions, what kind of board would this be?
    Last edited by Tef-the-Persian; 8/29/2006 6:23pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda see what the OP talks about... at least regarding the first dude who took his rack for squats. I always ask around if anyone is or has been using X or Y equipment. That's my pet peeve.

Actually, no, it also annoys when I see wife beaters screaming like Conan because they are lifting fucking 35lbs plates. I mean, c'mon. I've seen pro bodybuilders benchpressing 300+lbs without making any big noise about it. And then we have human chopsticks squealing at 35lbs plates just to get attention? I dunno, that's just fucking stupid.

What I hate is when people leave the weights all over the fucking place. I hate that ****. That's why I dropped LA fitness and went back to GoldGyms. Another thing I hated about LA fitness is that there are waaaay too many fucking weirdos that stare at you when you are bench pressing or squatting. I mean, starting, fucking starting. That's just fucking wrong. :new_shock
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 7:32pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamash
    Riddler I really don't see the need to become so upset...Just take a breather man. Every gym has a few jackasses...If he still fucks up then you should get pissed.
    I completely agree with you. I do not think about these people with horror disgust, so on. My purpose was to illustrate how certain behaviors can disrupt the gym environment.

The iPod guy, for example, seemed a decent person, if a bit clumsy. The two guys on the bench were a loud annoyance, although the situation of my acquaintance may have angled my judgment.

I liken this to people in the Movie Theater. A certain degree of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' and laughs add to the experience. It's when people begin to act up and shout, yell spoilers, etc. that ruins it for everyone else.

So I say it's probably not a good idea to change the radio station without asking. Or shout to the heavens about a lifting accomplishment, certainly this latter is a more personal thing which can be celebrated better with a self pat on the back rather than letting everyone in the room know.

And of course it's fine to work in sets with another person, but it's a good idea to let that person know, and either spot or give him/her a wide berth while off.

The gym is an environment to work out in, some people forget this. Ask for help if you need it, or are knew, people are usually friendly when it comes to the common goal of lifting heavy things and putting them down again.

Oh, and I realize I have a few typos in my OP...my bad.

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 8:00pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You absolutely must give people space when they are doing squats or cleans. It's fucking dangerous to bump them. Give them an absolute minumum of 4 feet.

About the enthusiastic 115 pound benchers. Silly, but no biggie.

Don't knock on people becuase they only bench 115. I've got long arms, and carry most of my weight in my thighs. It sucked in high school that at 185 lbs, I could only bench 175, even though I spent a lot more time in the weight room than most of the guys. Fuckers would tease me relentlessly, or at least until we got to the squat rack where I'd put them all to shame. My upper body finally filled out when I got into my late 20s. Now my bench is much better (barely respectable), even though I'm not lifting as frequently as I used to.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's much about putting people down for benching only 115. It's more about the loud screaming as if it were some sort of amazing feat (which it isn't). It always scares the **** out of me becuase the scream could be due on an accident.

Most of us stop at the sound of the scream, spooked and looking around think "what the ****? somebody got hurt?" Screaming and yelling is really unwelcome and it's a manner of tresspasing someone's personal space. This is particularly true when you are trying to concentrate and mentally zero in to a particular heavy set of squats or bench presses when somebody out of the fucking blue goes AHHHHGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! YEAHHHH!!!! ONE MORE BEAITTTTCHHHH!!!! YEEAAAAAAH!!!!

I think i's just impolite, just on the same level as talking aloud in a library or loudly blowing the mucus out of your nose in a restaurant.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 8:49pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time when they scream, just run up shouting: "oh my god! I saw it happen are you all right!?" Then when he reports in his confused, ashamed voice that he's fine, be like: "Oh, with all the noise I thought you might have hurt yourself bad that time."

My gym pet peave is the weight slammers. We had some idiot doing 65 lb dumbells and felt the need to slam them with a shout: "UURRRGGHH---yeah!" one of them upended and shattered 7 years of bad luck on his ass. The worst thing was is he was fine, but a housewife cut her foot a little and bled all over the place. Yeah, that guy was a dumbell.

I can kind of agree in some way with the above. I am more of an effort person, so if someones trying I'm not going to rag on them because of the amount their lifting, but the shouting and screaming **** is more symptomatic of a lack of respect for others I think.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 10:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone bumped my rack while I was squating, we'd have a problem. I don't like squatting, so I already would have been crabby.

The other idiots aren't really breaking any laws, but they're the reason I wait until 11:00 pm to go lift.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 4:10pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you all did your did your lifting in Ryno's basement, you wouldn't have to deal with any of this ****, would you? Olympic bench and squat rack. Yep, be jealous.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast