Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    99
    Style
    Aikido
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Have we lost sight of what martial arts really means?

    Just a thought here.... Have people lost sight of what MA really mean? I recall when learning martial arts was learning a tradition, learning discipline, learning how to defend ones self if need be, but today I see alot of people who are only proponents of arts that are found in MMA/cage fighting/ufc etc. Suffice to say, at least to me, isn't this the wrong focus of what true martial arts really is. It seems to me that many people have fallen away from what the core beleifs are vs. teaching that total destruction is the way. any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah man, we've totally lost site of the time honored traditions of the 80's and 90's. That's when martial arts first started, right?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  3. #3
    Anna Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,358
    Style
    Dancing the Spears
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, yes we have, because of people like you.

    Martial arts are first and foremost about fighting. Not about discipline and tradition, though one can practice for those things aswell they are not the point. The point is to be better able to physically impose your will on another human being.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    99
    Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    yeah man, we've totally lost site of the time honored traditions of the 80's and 90's. That's when martial arts first started, right?

    sorry, i am a little older than that....and apart from that... I learned MA's from old japanese and korean men, you knwo the ones who really knew what they were doing....

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Salford, UK
    Posts
    452
    Style
    Muay Thai/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh **** off

  6. #6
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could they fight, or does your definition of "know what they're doing" involve only performing choreography and hitting inanimate objects?

    Deporting this to YMAS.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    99
    Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Yes, yes we have, because of people like you.

    Martial arts are first and foremost about fighting. Not about discipline and tradition, though one can practice for those things aswell they are not the point. The point is to be better able to physically impose your will on another human being.


    piss off rookie, what are you 15? You have no fucking clue waht you are talking about... MA is about discipline, honor, courage, strength of character, not inposing ones self on another.... aren't you not allowed to patrol noobs here....?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    129
    Style
    Judo + Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiguy
    Just a thought here.... Have people lost sight of what MA really mean? I recall when learning martial arts was learning a tradition, learning discipline, learning how to defend ones self if need be, but today I see alot of people who are only proponents of arts that are found in MMA/cage fighting/ufc etc. Suffice to say, at least to me, isn't this the wrong focus of what true martial arts really is. It seems to me that many people have fallen away from what the core beleifs are vs. teaching that total destruction is the way. any thoughts?
    You should definitely post this outside of Newbietown; I think you'll find a very receptive audience for your point of view.

    Edit: Nevermind, already done for you.

  9. #9
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiguy
    sorry, i am a little older than that....and apart from that... I learned MA's from old japanese and korean men, you knwo the ones who really knew what they were doing....
    Oh man, this is going to be another one of those "All martial arts are asian" conversations, isn't it? We can never have enough of those.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    99
    Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Could they fight, or does your definition of "know what they're doing" involve only performing choreography and hitting inanimate objects?

    Deporting this to YMAS.

    yes they could fight..... one of them was the Korean JR. Olympic trainer, the other was an immigrant to NY from WWII... one fought in a war, the other trained people for competition. kind of adds up ...

Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in