Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 8:37pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    well, BJJ is much more focused on submissions & chokes, and you know that's what every single student is gonna want to see, limited instructional time or no. I'd be concerned that they'd start throwing half-assed triangles & RNCs on each other & their friends, even if they aren't shown how, and probably while watching Ultimate Fighter and drinking a couple of 40s.

Personaly, I'd be a bit more concerned with someone taking a judo class and showing their buddys a poor hiptoss or leg reap then a choke. My first major injury was from a failed leg reap. In fact, when I started judo I was allowed to choke, but not armbar from the first day. After he knew I had control I was taught armbars and key locks.

I do however agree that free sparing is probably not a good idea. However, if my instructor takes up the task of teaching this class then I'm sure he will have that all under control (He's a Carlson Sr. brown belt). However, I do feel it is important to stress that the goal of this class is to act as an introduction or a foot in the door to bjj (as a gateway drug into a real club). I'll probably have a better idea of what direction to take it in after I talk to my friend who does the same thing at a major university. I do have fall back though, I know a judo instructor who would love to get into the college as well an aikido instructor who is interested. Personally as I enjoy bjj more and I want to help teach the class (I think it would be a good experiance to assist in teaching) I want to get bjj in there.

Of course this all assumes I can get the college to purchase decent mats.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 10:49am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could just print out the Front Page thread about the guy who accidentally killed his friend with a drunken choke. It'll serve to bring home to them how dangerous some of these techniques can actually be - although people don't get choked to death in the Octagon, it is very easy to do. It's also recent enough that it should make even the most arrogant student pay attention.

I've been thinking about other stuff you could do, and I don't know much about the American way of doing course in this regard, but could you perhaps have an entirely academic portion of the course set outside your mat time? Effectively give them homework to introduce them to the history and context of the art, such as its connection to Judo, the development of the UFC etc. Just a thought so you could get alot of background work done by them, whilst leaving your mat time open to techniques. It'll also give you something else to test them on potentially at the end of the course.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123