Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 1:42pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Syllabus for Intro BJJ college course?

Hello,

As some of you might know, I work at a local community college. I was recently approched by our enrichment faculty about getting a BJJ course for winter term. It would be 1 hour a week for 14 weeks, or 2 1 hour classes a week for 7 weeks. This of course will probably lead into a more full time course or club offered on campus.

Of course I am not qualified to run a class like this (I only have 6 months bjj exp and a little over a year judo exp. However, I think that I could get a blue belt, purple belt, or my instructor (a carlson brown belt) to teach or co-teach the class.

Providing I can get one of them to go along with it, what would you feel would be the proper grading system that should be used? Attendance only? Attendance + physical skill? Written knoweldge + attendance? And what kind of materials do you think should be required? Just bring yourself, and some shorts and a shirt, or should we find a suitable book to supply them with for reference? A copy of why aliveness by matt thornton?

Basically, describe your ideal course Syllabus for a grappling class.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Hello,

As some of you might know, I work at a local community college. I was recently approched by our enrichment faculty about getting a BJJ course for winter term. It would be 1 hour a week for 14 weeks, or 2 1 hour classes a week for 7 weeks. This of course will probably lead into a more full time course or club offered on campus.

Of course I am not qualified to run a class like this (I only have 6 months bjj exp and a little over a year judo exp. However, I think that I could get a blue belt, purple belt, or my instructor (a carlson brown belt) to teach or co-teach the class.

Providing I can get one of them to go along with it, what would you feel would be the proper grading system that should be used? Attendance only? Attendance + physical skill? Written knoweldge + attendance? And what kind of materials do you think should be required? Just bring yourself, and some shorts and a shirt, or should we find a suitable book to supply them with for reference? A copy of why aliveness by matt thornton?

Basically, describe your ideal course Syllabus for a grappling class.
    If the class is going to be a credit-based PE class, I would imagine there will be a writing requirement. At least when I was in school, every PE class required students to write an essay or essays for a total of several thousand words with an acceptable level of grammar and composition. At least, that's how it is down here in Florida. If the same is in your state/college, they will need to write something to complete the course with a passing grade.

I dunno, the easy way would be to ask students to write their experiences in the BJJ class (expect a lot of flowery bullshit), or an analysis of BJJ (expect a lot of copy and paste from BJJ sites.)

A more complex and serious writing requirement would be to make students keep a log and present a synthesis of them or a status report either in intervals or at the end of the course. Now, if the PE classes at your college do not have a writing requirement, then this point is moot and bullshit. :tongue6:

BTW, will you allow rolling in the class? If so, will there be enough time for it?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will be an encrichment course credit. Which basically makes it not very important. A final test is required though. Which is written. Other then that, there are no written requirements. Other enrichment courses are classes on pottery, tai chi, tkd, how to use a ipod. Basically filler classes for kids to have fun at. It is possible a class like this could move into the PE realm, but that would require some auditing and changes to meet requirements.

For the final I was thinking a very small test asking basics like positions, questions about dominance, possibly questions on compeititon point systems and rules, and maybe a demonstration of basic positions and submissions. Similar to low kyu level judo rank tests in the USJA.

A very much want sparing in the class. I think sparing is very important to learning bjj. I'm not sure how much sparing can be included due to time limits (we are limited to 1 -2 hour classes, with a total of 14-20 hours for the course (This is a 1 credit hour course). However, there is nothing keeping us from having sparing after class (The mat space is basically unused at the moment and we can hold 'office' hours as much as we require).

Looking at the Tai Chi course currently offered here, their grade is based on 75% attendance, and 25% ON Tai Chi and Qigong movements. The goals of his class is to teach 25 Qigong movements and several Tai Chi movments while under the direction of the instructor. As well as improved balance, felxiblity and focus. He has two book supliments listed as optional: 18 Buddha Hans Qigong, and Tai Chi a step by step guide to acheiving Physical and mental balance. His testing is a single written test and a few 'movement' tests where students perform the movements in a group and solo.

Of course, getting this going is mostly required on me convincing either a high rank or my instructor to teach or co-teach this course. But I would really like to see a BJJ class take off on campus. If none of the bjj guys want to teach it, I am going to approach my old judo instructor and see if he would be willing to teach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 2:40pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took swimming at my college. We had quizes, but it was like go watch life guard vids. We were quized on how to properly pull out a child out of the water and stuff. Also there were tests we had to do as we were going to be giving Red Cross swimming ranks at the end of the semester. (I was a level 6).

Now, for BJJ, you don't want to be MCDOJO UNIVERSITY. So I would say, have diagrams of drawings to distinquish which position is which. i.e is this guard or not.

maybe.. gotta think on it more some. get back to ya.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eviechu
    Now, for BJJ, you don't want to be MCDOJO UNIVERSITY. So I would say, have diagrams of drawings to distinquish which position is which. i.e is this guard or not.
    Oh yea, no rank would be given for the course. Even the TKD guy who teachers here will not give rank for his students. If they want rank they need to join a full time club. This will basically be a intro/primer into the world of bjj. Enrichment courses are ment to broaden the horizons of the students and show them what is out there in the world. Of course the upside to this is that it could very well boost attendance at my instructor's school, or find us new amature fighters for our shows. It could also be a good way to help push some of the training philosphy behind bjj. I could see open ended questions on how this training model differs from 'traditional' models, and what the benifits and weaknesses are. If anything maybe we can teach these kids the right way to train and then later in life they might not fall for mcdojo scams.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:24pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In swimming he had us do a final all out swim fest were we had to do all of the strokes we no, all of our dives, and all of our live saving drills.

I would probably grade on how well someone got the basics down. If they knew the basic guard, mount, side control, back escapes.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess the biggest question is: "How much can you reasonably expect someone to learn in 14 hours?" I think they can get an idea of what should be going on in 14 hours, but I'm not sure if they can exibit any technqiue well enough to grade by. Unless of course we get a class of wrestlers. But I think its far more likley we get a class of kids who are also doing the TKD course and want to experiance grappling. If that happens, these kids won't be the most physical bunch. There really isn't enough mat space for more then 14 people either, not if we are going to all roll or drill at the same time. Although I think a 2 line drill (people line up in two lines, then procede out on the mat, complete a drill, do some pushups, or other exercise and then get back in line) would work good if mat space is at a premium.

I've been putting a lot of thought in this (and neglecting my real work). I can't wait to get home and talk to my instructor.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 4:52pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the testing goes you could pull out a few old UFC videos, pause it at certain points, ask them to name what position or lock is shown and possibly (depending on how much depth you've managed to fit into the course) ask them for a viable course of action or escape from that position.

With the limited amount of time you have I don't think you'll be able to test in an alive environment, but you could get them to demonstrate position etc with a partner.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 11:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should be able to demonstrate some escapes and basic sumbissions for their final. Physically.

Otherwise, this is the sort of thing that should be graded on participation and attendance - especially because there's no guaranteed rate of skill acquisition that you will be able to grade in a meaningful way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 8:21am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should require them to keep a training log. This is something that will increase their knowledge retention in addition to giving you something to grade.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast