Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:37am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijon
    In the first part of the class the Blue belt said he has been training for six years, and nothing during the course of the lessons made it seem like they were making things up on the fly. Their technique seemed solid to me, but what do I know. The club is student run.

I see what you are saying, and I would much rather be taught by a black belt with a hell of a lot more experience. I've found another judo school, I'll email the instructor and see what they are like. Next class at the current school I'll be asking more questions.
    Ask him (belut belt) approx. how many hours per week and if it was six years straight.

As others mentioned, belt ranking system in Judo isn't as solid as BJJ and blue in Judo is about middle or lower middle rank. Some Judo belt systems don't even recognize blue as color. So for the student club run, I'd definitly ask more questions regarding how he trained, how long, and where.

Imo, his Judo belt should be higher than blue if he really did six years of continous training and put in decent amount of hours per week.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 6:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to weigh in again, I asked a friend who's brown in judo and close to getting his black if he thought blue would be good enough to teach - and it turns out that, in the UK at least, you have to be at least brown and pass a coaching exam to teach Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 7:42am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I received a reply from the instructor at the other judo school. He told me that the university club and his club train together once in a while, and that there really isn't that great a difference between the two.

It turns out that the green belt that I mentioned earlier is the leader of the club. I asked him if there are ever any black belts around; he told me that not in the beginners course, but once I graduate to the next level we would be training with them. So that essentially means I'll never see them since I'll only be around for one semester. I asked him how long he has been training and he said for nine years. He said he believes that he is brown belt level, but he hasn't had the opportunity to be tested because he has been busy. On to the class...

The class was smaller than last time. But only smaller by one person, which made for a total of five people, two instructors and three students. We started out with some jogging and stretching. Then we practiced rolls from knee level: forward rolls, backward rolls, and then I was asked if I wanted to try something a bit more advanced, so I said sure. It was basically a backward roll, only upon completion you end up on your feet, in sort of a stand. I didn't really get it down but I kept trying until we moved onto break falls. After I had practiced the break-falls a bit on my own the green belt had me practice them from a throw. We then played a game; this time involving forward and backward rolls. Rather uneventfully.

Then we played another game to help us work on our balance. It consisted of hopping around on the balls of our feet(butt about a foot off the ground), while trying knock our partner off balance. One last game, Sumo, was just a sumo match between two students, as anyone might have guessed.

Time for ne-waza. We just worked the basic scarf-hold position, and two escapes from it. Since the blue belt I was practicing with knew I was already familiar with the guard he wanted to do a bit of free rolling as the others were going through some guard work. He started off in my guard and soon enough I had control of his left hand. So I moved it into a triangle friendly position and threw my leg over. Locking it in with my other leg I remembered to control his head; but that's about as far as I got. I wasn't able to get into the right angle to finish it off because he just decided to pick me up; well above his waist. So after a few seconds in the air I just decided let go and reset. Once I got to my feet he told me that in some sports could have incorporated a slam. I told him slams like that aren't permitted in jiu jitsu. Overall I noticed his movements were pretty stiff, not smooth at all, and he used a good bit of aggression, strength, and general assholery. We rolled a bit more after then went onto a few throws.

We just practiced O Goshi and Uki Goshi. I wasn't able to get down Uki Goshi but the other one is simple enough so its workout quite well. Class ended soon after that with a bow and some meditation.
    Last edited by Dijon; 9/01/2006 8:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 8:45am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guard slams aren't permitted in judo, either.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked him how long he has been training and he said for nine years. He said he believes that he is brown belt level, but he hasn't had the opportunity to be tested because he has been busy. On to the class...

That actually makes sense. I'm technically only grade 1/12 in WT even though i've been training for 4 years - only thing is my instructor holds gradings on a saturday, when i'm at work, and grades arent important enough for me to miss work.
    He started off in my guard and soon enough I had control of his left hand. So I moved it into a triangle friendly position and threw my leg over. Locking it in with my other leg I remembered to control his head; but that's about as far as I got. I wasn't able to get into the right angle to finish it off because he just decided to pick me up; well above his waist. So after a few seconds in the air I just decided let go and reset. Once I got to my feet he told me that in some sports could have incorporated a slam. I told him slams like that aren't permitted in jiu jitsu.
    Regardless of the rules, you don't want to be picked up. Even if slams arent allowed, it's going to be very hard to finish the triangle, and if they are , you're in trouble. See Matt Hughes vs Carlos Newton 1.

Consumer warning: I'm a puny white belt in BJJ, these are just some things I've used to avoid getting picked up when triangling someone.

There's a few things you can do to stop someone picking you up when you triangle them: first of all, practise keeping your shoulders on the mat when someone attempts to pick you up in guard. If you're doing this right, you can still keep your closed guard even when they get to their feet. From this position there are sweeps that can be used.

For a triangle, you should be pulling the head down at all times. It is very hard to pick someone up who's triangling you if you can't get your head up. If they do manage to get to their feet, hook one of their legs and pull it so they fall down onto their ass.

Overall I noticed his movements were pretty stiff, not smooth at all, and he used a good bit of aggression, strength, and general assholery. We rolled a bit more after then went onto a few throws.
    Judo guys tend to be like that. If you only have a matter of seconds to finish on the ground, and not much class time devoted to groundwork, you're going to be aggressive and go nuts in order to get your pin/submission before you run out of time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 1:48pm

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overall I noticed his movements were pretty stiff, not smooth at all, and he used a good bit of aggression, strength, and general assholery.
    You'll find that Judo players are on average much more intense and agressive on the ground than BJJ players. It's a byproduct of the rule set. As stated before, in a Judo comp the second you stop actively trying for a submission (sometimes before) the ref will stop you and stand you back up. BJJ players as you know like to work for a good position before they start trying to submit you. Ne Waza is usually balls to the wall. The stiffness is an individual thing. Some of the more advance Judo players are very smooth and loose.

A green belt running the class seems a bit strange to me. I guess if it's just the intro to Judo stuff then it could be OK, but there really should be a senior brown belt or higher in charge. My Sensei has had me work with noobs before on their first day with breakfalls, stances, grips, etc., but he is always watching us out of the corner of his eye.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 2:34pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    That actually makes sense. I'm technically only grade 1/12 in WT even though i've been training for 4 years - only thing is my instructor holds gradings on a saturday, when i'm at work, and grades arent important enough for me to miss work.

Regardless of the rules, you don't want to be picked up. Even if slams arent allowed, it's going to be very hard to finish the triangle, and if they are , you're in trouble. See Matt Hughes vs Carlos Newton 1.

Consumer warning: I'm a puny white belt in BJJ, these are just some things I've used to avoid getting picked up when triangling someone.

There's a few things you can do to stop someone picking you up when you triangle them: first of all, practise keeping your shoulders on the mat when someone attempts to pick you up in guard. If you're doing this right, you can still keep your closed guard even when they get to their feet. From this position there are sweeps that can be used.

For a triangle, you should be pulling the head down at all times. It is very hard to pick someone up who's triangling you if you can't get your head up. If they do manage to get to their feet, hook one of their legs and pull it so they fall down onto their ass.

Judo guys tend to be like that. If you only have a matter of seconds to finish on the ground, and not much class time devoted to groundwork, you're going to be aggressive and go nuts in order to get your pin/submission before you run out of time.
    Dont forget, if you can turn your body to the side and grab on to his leg/ankle, he wont be able to pick you up. This usually leads to a guy rolling over and you getting a mounted triangle (unless he really knows what is going on).

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Dont forget, if you can turn your body to the side and grab on to his leg/ankle, he wont be able to pick you up. This usually leads to a guy rolling over and you getting a mounted triangle (unless he really knows what is going on).
    You mean the tech here?

That was the other one I was thinking of as well as the scoop I described.

You have no clue how happy i was to learn these.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's kind of weird to see someone that's not a black belt in judo teaching. See, as it's been mentioned here, the belt system in Judo is not the same as in BJJ. Not that the former's belt system is less stringent or rigid. It's that the meaning of the belts are not the same, nor are the focus of the two arts the same.

This is not a very correct statement, but it may serve the purpose. A black belt in Judo may be compared to something in between the meaning of BJJ purple and brown belts. I read that somewhere... will provide a link if I find it.

That comparison is not 100% accurate as the focus of both arts are different and the meaning of the belts are different, too. But from that, I find it weird that a Judo brown belt is teaching a class. Never heard of that before.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bear in mind the instructor is actually a green who thinks he's of brown standard.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast