Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 12:40pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Improving my Jiu Jitsu

I've been training(sporadically) in BJJ for about a year now and I want to continue my training. The trouble is I have recently moved(for studies), and as far as I know there are no BJJ schools close by. So I'm trying to choose between Judo and a "Submission Wrestling" club that are here in Bergen, Norway.

A submission wrestling club seemed like the obvious choice, so it's the first place I looked into. Basically the club is pure no-gi rolling; no real teaching or instruction going on at this point in time. The club leader is a brown belt in Judo and it certainly shows in the techniques that everyone uses (i.e. a lot of Judo subs that I haven't seen before). They say that they will start doing some teaching later on in September, but it will only be for one day a week.

I haven't visit the Judo club yet but it seems to me like it's more of a complete program. The first two weeks of the beginners course will be about demonstrating how Judo can be used in practical situations. After that it'll probably be just like any other school.

Given my options which of the two would be a better choice for improving my jiu jitsu game?

I'm leaning toward the Judo club since it seems like it will be a more structured and productive environment, and of course I'll learn plenty of throws/takedowns.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your choice is between a structured Judo curriculum or an unstructured Judo curriculum (taught by a brown.)

I think your choice is pretty clear. Neither is really BJJ, but good Judo should be good judo. Unless the rolling-with-no-instruction guys are creative geniuses, I doubt they're going to synthesize something better than standard Judo simply by rolling.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo.

You stick with Judo for a year you will have takedown skills that very few BJJ people develop. If you just wanna roll with guys and not make noticable improvements go with the subwrestling.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^What they said.^

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 1:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijon
    (i.e. a lot of Judo subs that I haven't seen before).

???

Could you elaborate on all these Judo subs you haven't seen in your year of practicing BJJ?
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should have said that I was caught off guard by the Judo subs. They were just variations of arm-locks that I have seen before but just done in a way I'm not accustomed to. They applied some pins as well; not used to those either. Of course I tried to shrimp and upa my way out, but I haven't trained in over a month so my attempts weren't the best.

When I said I've trained sporadically for a year, I meant horribly infrequently. I'd train for maybe 3 weeks, twice a week, then not train for another few weeks, and then repeat the process.

I went to the Judo club earlier today. Most of the teaching was being done by a green belt but there was also a blue belt present. Both said they have been training for several years. We started off with three different break-falls, then we moved onto a sort of game where one player starts off as the "Hawk". Everyone but the Hawk would move from one side of the room to the other, the hawk's job was to pin the other players and convert them into hawks until there was nobody left.

Then we did some one-on-one "rolling". I was paired off with a guy that had trained in TKD. At the start I pulled him into my guard, and worked at controlling him, which wasn't too difficult. But in not knowing what to do, he worked hard to break free, and it seemed like he tried an armlock somewhere in the process. Again the point here was to pin the opponent, so in an effort to get him on his back I was setting up a scissor sweep, and then my calf cramped up. I sat out for a bit then we got into the throws. We went through two different throws, finished with some stretching and a lesson about dojo etiquette.
    Last edited by Dijon; 8/29/2006 5:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 6:19pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It creeps me out whenever I go to a school and we get the song and dance routine, the instructor is there, he shows you all the flashy stuff, lets you roll around and make a fool of yourself...you choose that school out of others with the same song and dance routine and on the day of the your first class, the instructor isn't there and it's always the green belt or the blue belt "teaching". Next thing you know, it's the same stuff for the next months....reason? From money issues with the owner of the gym, to his restaurant buissness. Be careful on that.:new_cussi

PS- Choose the judo club.

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 4:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classes taught by a green or blue belt? That's quite worrying. You've got to understand that Judo is not like BJJ - generally it is much easier to be ranked in Judo than BJJ, and so anyone below Brown/Black really shouldn't be teaching. Maybe it's different in Norway to over here, who knows. Just in my experience, a Blue belt in Judo wouldn't be qualified to teach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the first part of the class the Blue belt said he has been training for six years, and nothing during the course of the lessons made it seem like they were making things up on the fly. Their technique seemed solid to me, but what do I know. The club is student run.

I see what you are saying, and I would much rather be taught by a black belt with a hell of a lot more experience. I've found another judo school, I'll email the instructor and see what they are like. Next class at the current school I'll be asking more questions.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast