Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 5:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No martia art is effective against knives!
    But ypu can porbably get fewer cuts and even survibe if you try the martials arts that comes from parts of the world were the knife culture is still alive. So a tip would be Kali, Escrima and Silat styles.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 5:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think its going to boil down to style as much as it does to outright skill. You can learn all the technique in the world, but without reflex, speed and feel you're never going to pull them off.

McDojo, is it what you do or is it what you think?
    I am the biggest fucking wanker on the internet - Proven fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 6:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is NOT knife aware! You will only get kileld!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 6:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Physical stats will always be a factor. But combine it with right bare handed technique (in this case only taught in Kali, Escrima and Kali IMHO), and you will egt better leverage out of your strength, reflex and speed.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >No martial art is effective against knives!

WRONG!!!!

What you fail to realize is that MA involves more than Asian empty-handed figthing techniqes.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would study knife fighting .. that would help you learn more about what to expect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Athletics is the best art when dealing with knives, sprinting and middle distance running. And learn to run in pain....because in real street attacks, by the time you will know that the attack involves a knife, 90% of the times you will be already cut. Hopefully not so bad as to prevent you from beating a few sprinting records. ;)
    No seriously. But IF you must stay because nowhere to run nor any way to defuse threat (eg give wallet), then best defence is grab object of longer reach then knife (eg chair / tennis raquet / rubbish bin / anything).

C

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luck, luck and more luck. Getting the hell out of there works well too. The Filipino martial arts give you a 51% chance verses a 50%. A person never knows their opponent, the knife needs no power, a mistake by either party could be fatal. Don't play, because no one has the answer. As a former bouncer, knives were scary because the least likely individual could have one hidden. And what do you think is the best block for a hidden knife attack, it is your body..... I have been cut in least expected places, trying to prevent myself from being dead....All the techniques and theories in the world can only give you so much, practice can give you only so much, experience can only give you so much, knowing your environment and your setting gives you at least 1/2 %. I have trained in the Filipino arts for many years, and this is to as someone else was saying, learning to be a knife fighter to understand what you are up against. Be careful, don't be stupid.

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    9/02/2002 10:46pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school gives plenty of respect to knives and knife defense. I was just wondering what the rest of the MA community thought of this very deadly and underestimated weapon. A man can study the martial arts his whole life and a novice knifefighter can kill him by simply stabbing him in the guts. Knives can be easily concealed and can be used by anyone making in many ways worse than a gun.

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2002 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >WRONG!!!!
    >
    >What you fail to realize is that MA involves more than Asian empty->handed figthing techniqes.

WHat you dont realize is that I have studied bladed arts like Silat, Kali and Escrima... and even if they are the most effective styles vs knives, still I would never bet my life on that I can survive empty handed vs knife. So no style i seffecti. and never think thatr you shoudl go into such a confrontation. To increase your chances to get out of such a confrontation alive, do Kali/Escrima/Silat.

I quote Guro Dave Gould "If you can pass the knife once, your lucky. I fyou pass the knife twice, god smiles onto you and your extremelt lucky. If you pass the knife three times, what are you doing here? You're probably god himself"
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast