221312 Bullies, 4004 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 7:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Losing weight - hunger?

Is it bad to let yourself feel hungry for a couple of hours when you're trying to lose weight long term? I want to lose about 6 kilos over the next couple of months, and have always been renowned for eating a lot (was never fat, and my weight never fluctuated ), so one of the things I'm trying out is reducing my portion sizes and frequency - I tend to find that my stomach really feels empty and it's quite distracting (can you tell I haven't done this before?) - does it mean my metabolism will pack it in completely or is it okay to get my body used to eating slightly less?

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 7:34am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay it won't let me edit, but I meant to say I was never "fat" but never in supermodel condition either.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bro, losing 6 kilos (13.2 lbs) in a few months is not that hard. Having said that, starving yourself is not the way to go. You'll end up losing muscle rather than fat.

Also, depending on your current state of fitness, you may want to reduce your body fat and get lean muscle rather than losing weight. The best way is to

1) gradually reduce your daily food intake,
    2) as you do that, break it into small rations (5-6 per day), and
    3) make sure that most of your dinners/late snacks are rich in protein.

If you combine that with a proper exercise plan, you should be able to drop body fat in a safe and permanent (or almost permanent) manner. There are a few supplements out there than can give some teeth to an existing diet and exercise plan.

But this is all moot if we don't know a few things about you.

How old are you?
    How tall are you?
    What's your current weight?
    Are you trying just to lose weight, to get lean and defined? Are you planning in adding muscle mass in the future?

Let us know dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 7:56am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's possible you're just thirsty too. A lot of people confuse "My body is telling me to have a glass of water" with "OH GOD I NEED TO EAT A HAMBURGER".

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 8:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    It's possible you're just thirsty too. A lot of people confuse "My body is telling me to have a glass of water" with "OH GOD I NEED TO EAT A HAMBURGER".
    LOL. Dude! Where the **** you come up with this crap?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 10:12am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    LOL. Dude! Where the **** you come up with this crap?
    I've been hearing this more and more lately. Supposedly a lot of people have a hard time distinguishing between hunger and thirst and find that if they chug a lot of water throughout the day, then they don't "feel" as hungry. Until I see some documented research by a respectable institution I'm inclined to think it a load of bollocks.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    I've been hearing this more and more lately. Supposedly a lot of people have a hard time distinguishing between hunger and thirst and find that if they chug a lot of water throughout the day, then they don't "feel" as hungry. Until I see some documented research by a respectable institution I'm inclined to think it a load of bollocks.
    Oh. Never heard that one before either. I'm inclined to think it's bull as well, but there is so much **** going on (more and more boys with ADD, more and more girls developing mega-boobs at a waaaaay too early age), who knows.

On another note, what I've read (and I've practiced) is to drink lots of water before eating as a way to control the size of your food rations. The sensation of hunger is first triggered by a feeling of emptiness and it takes quite a long time after the stomach is full for the brain to determine one is not hungry anymore.

That's one reason behind overeating (the other being a total lack of discipline or knowledge about eating healthy).

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sis, you should keep your meal frequencies the same (or more, so it's like 6 if possible), just smaller portions.

Try to cut off as much junk food as possible from you diet, too. Junk food is the Devil.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pretty consistently lose about a kilo a week if I keep a regular diet. I eat about 2-300 calories meals whenever I get hungry, which is generally about every 2-3 hours. With that and my regular workout of 2-3 hours a day 4-6 times a week I lose weight pretty consistently. Everyone's different, of course.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast