STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Blood

New article i wrote, not particularly on anything just a descriptive piece on a gym noob :> just submitted it but here is the SPESHAL prescreening! Based on a true story.

The kid fumbled with his skipping rope and looks around, wide eyed, attempting to see what the other boxers were doing. He clumsily rotates the plastic cord and leaps over it slowly, managing to jump five more times before it once again hits the front of his shoes. He looks incredulously at the two boxers in front of him whos ropes are an effortless blur, as they chat and laugh- for them skipping is as natural as walking. The more experienced boxers in the room glance at the kid and share knowing smiles, skipping faster and faster to further fluster the newcomer.

Why was he here? Who knows. Perhaps he had been the recent victim of bullying- maybe he was related to someone who knew the gyms owner. Maybe he had simply heard or seen an advertisement for the gym and lived close enough to bother checking it out. Maybe he held a darker reason like so many others at the small gym, tucked away behind a church in a rough part of town. It's even possible he had realised the truth behind immortality isn't in your genetic legacy, but the record you leave behind in the history books.

The egg timer rang and a look of relief washed over the kids face as he put down his rope and nervously grasped the worn old gloves he had been lent. Several of the students stalked towards the newcomer with mischief in their eyes, but the coach had seen this game before- he called out to one of the younger students, roughly the kids size. The student was lean, with spiky hair and a tattoo round his arm, but a friendly demeanor. The coach could trust he would not be too rough on the kid.

The newcomer held the pads akwardly and looked to the older man who had accompanied him- his father no doubt, eager to see his son learn the most primal of human skills- for reassurance. The student smiled and quickly explained to the kid:

"One is a jab like this, two is a cross like this. Three is a hook. Push the pads out slightly to meet the punches but not too far. This is a warm up round- you call the combinations. Oh, and im a southpaw- that should be enough for now."

The kid nods slightly and concentrates, holding up the pad and quietly saying

"One"

The student leaps forward covering several feet in split seconds and slams his fist into the pad, sending the kid wobbling back. The student smiles at his apparent concern, and advises him to stand in a squared stance- both feet close to each other is a poor way to recieve a punch. As the round moves on and his arms are thrown back by the punches from a person not much larger than him, he hfelt the sensation all prospective boxers have when they realise that most people in that room could wipe the floor with them. Hell, maybe even the kids.

The egg timer rings once more and pads are exchanged. The kid awkwardly puts his hands up and stands bolt upright, unsure of himself and suddenly feeling very unco-ordinated.

"Put your right foot behind and to the right of your left, like you are standing in a square with your feet in opposite corners. More. More. Good. Now punch."

The kid throws an awkward right, not moving his feet at all but secretly the student is surprised at his power. With training, he might be able to throw a noteworthy blow. The coach stops walking and corrects the kids posture, demonstrating with the student how to throw a fluid punch. Again and again he makes the newcomer throw until finally, a respectable jab joins the other sounds of fist meeting pad in the gym. The coach steps back and the newcomer turns to the student expecting to see resentment at being usurped, but instead sees only a deep respect as he bows to the coach.

Sweat covers the kids face as once again the student smashes his left into the pad. He winces slightly and drops his arm before raising his other arm. The student moves forward slightly, turning his toes and dropping his weight, before turning his hips and driving his right hand through the pad, again knocking the kid off balance. The kid was tough, for sure. He wasn't used to this, but again and again he lifted the pads- seemingly made of lead now- for the student. When his turn comes he feels weak and awkward, not realising how much he has improved in a mere hour. The student smiles, and hops around flashing up the pads, his energy seemingly inexhaustable- the ability to hide pain and fatigue behind a poker face is something the kid wouldn't learn for a while yet. Finally the egg timer sounds and the coach instructs the students to put away the pads and warm down. Probably the best thing the newcomer had heard all day. The student grabs the kid by the hand and quietly says "thank you" before walking to his equipment bag.

Would the kid come back? Maybe. Probably not. The gloves he gingerly placed back on the shelf had seen many students once or twice, like the aging coach as he smiles and shakes the kids hand, telling him he will want to buy his own gloves soon. He too had seen so many young men who faced the realisation of what hard work truly is, but had shied away. The kids hands visibly shook and he walked slowly as he left the gym into the cold night, a tough decision waiting for him the next day.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 5:23am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's an okay fic, but when are they going to have sex?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 5:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man dont spoil the next episode!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 6:23am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It makes me want to take up boxing.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 6:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    VERY nicely written--and I second namaste's conclusion.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 10:43am

Style: n00b.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I third that, albeit I've kind of already decided to take it up, so this just... strengthens my resolve? :P

One thing I see right off the bat is that you switch tenses from past to present and back again, which is jarring. *shrug*
    Last edited by CrapKnee; 8/28/2006 10:49am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    man dont spoil the next episode!
    Oh, so thanks to MJS's spoiler, we now know there will be sex in the next episode :tongue3:

Nicely written btw.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was very good.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrapKnee
    I third that, albeit I've kind of already decided to take it up, so this just... strengthens my resolve? :P

One thing I see right off the bat is that you switch tenses from past to present and back again, which is jarring. *shrug*
    I know i did that in the first paragraph. Im terrible with tense, i went back and checked it over but i imagine there is still a few lurking in there.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this story sounds so hot
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast