Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 1:23pm

Style: Can't afford one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Franklin is too smart to pull a Leben with Silva. Plus, Franklin is a much better striker than Leben is. Faster and more mobile. His head won't sit there like a piñata waiting for Silva to crack it.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 5:11pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliKyle
    I'm going to assume you're a knowledgeable MMA fan and not be a dick about this. But Dana and the UFC has tried to play ball with PRIDE for awhile now. Occasionally it's actually happened, although it was awhile ago. Remember what Rampage did to Chuck?
    Yes, it's true that the UFC sent someone over to Japan. According to the PRIDE bosses, they've tried to send someone over to the UFC. Why that hasn't materialized, they couldn't say. The most likely explanation is that the UFC isn't willing to pay what PRIDE fighters make. And why would they? They're not going to keep them around long enough to build them, and because they are virtual unknowns in the US, they're not going to sell PPVs.

Also, don't you guys get the feeling that the UFC is trying to get people to think MMA = UFC? I mean, PRIDE is always just "Japan." Of course, I can't prove it; it's just the feeling I get. It also seems to make sense in the context of what I percieve to be Zuffa's business strategy, where the focus is more to build the organization brand than the actual fighter brand. I don't know very much about boxing, but it seems that the organizations matter a lot more in MMA than in boxing. I've never heard my boxing acquantances debate this boxing promotion vs that boxing promotion.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 5:14pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think Silva is going to take out Franklin. I don't know much about Silva's ground game, but he survived (an admittedly smaller) Carlos Newton on the ground. It's going to be a war though, but my money would be on Silva.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    8/30/2006 5:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter

Also, don't you guys get the feeling that the UFC is trying to get people to think MMA = UFC? I mean, PRIDE is always just "Japan." Of course, I can't prove it; it's just the feeling I get. It also seems to make sense in the context of what I percieve to be Zuffa's business strategy, where the focus is more to build the organization brand than the actual fighter brand. I don't know very much about boxing, but it seems that the organizations matter a lot more in MMA than in boxing. I've never heard my boxing acquantances debate this boxing promotion vs that boxing promotion.
    From a business perspective, that's just smart branding. But they're walking a line with that so they don't lose the "Ultimate Fighting" trademark, from what I can tell.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 1:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rich is gonna tear Silva up.

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:24pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    It's the exact same thing IBM did back when the personal computer market was getting off the ground. Like IBM, I seriously doubt the UFC will be able to sustain that kind of branding ad infinitum.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 4:39pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a similar note, Xerox had a similar ad campaign in the 80's so they wouldn't use the trademark to public domain. "It's not a Xeroxer, it's a copier from Xerox."

Posted On:
    9/01/2006 5:40pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yodaman
    On a similar note, Xerox had a similar ad campaign in the 80's so they wouldn't use the trademark to public domain. "It's not a Xeroxer, it's a copier from Xerox."
    Too bad xerox let Gates steel all that **** from them- they'd still be on top, or close to it. I can't put Leben anywhere close to the same class as Franklin- he's tough, but I think Franklin has more skills, and won't fall for the same stuff. I say, Franklin by GNP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 9:21am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rich is way too tricky. He's the kind of guy that will make Silva feel over confident then lure him into a trap. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that he just has that way about him.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    Franklin always relies on his striking skills in fights
    Except for the five fights he's won by submission and the four or five he's won by ground and pound, of course.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast