Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 1:57pm

Style: Kukki-Taekwondo, Yudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einar Fridgeirs
    The "japanese dude" is Yuki Nakai, the proud owner of probably the biggest set of brass cojhones in all of martial arts.

Gerard Gordeau(the savate fighter) repeatedly eye gouged him on purpose without the referee noticing despite being 50+ pounds heavier than Nakai, who was a featherweight shooto grappler(I think 135 lbs - he was TINY!), that's how afraid of Nakai's ground game he was.

If Nakai had been a striker, these gouges would probably have cost him the fight, but the cool thing about grappling is that you don't really need to see clearly to do it if you are good, you can still get the tap by feel only.

And yes, Nakai is blind in one eye today. He should have torn Gordeau's foot right out of the socket with that heel hook if you ask me, Gordeau is notorious for using "deadly street tricks" if he hits the ground. He also bit Royce Gracie's ear in their UFC 1 match. Take note that he lost both fights anyways.

That Nakai went on to win another fights virtually blind in both eyes, and gave Rickson Gracie his all in one night stands IMO to this day as the greatest display of Bushido valour in martial arts history. Today Nakai is one of the few japanese BJJ black belts, and a hell of a grappler despite his loss of eyesight.

A true legend, and to me the real star of Choke. Pity they didnīt follow him around instead of Kimura.
    blind in one eye huh? that's rough... i feel bad for him. gordeau's a complete fuckhole.

were eye-damaging eye gouges like that common back in the early stages of nhb/vale tudo or was gordeau just being a complete assfuck?

also if you ever get into a street fight, should i have to worry about some fucker trying to take my eye out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 2:13pm

Style: no-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKDer
    blind in one eye huh? that's rough... i feel bad for him. gordeau's a complete fuckhole.

were eye-damaging eye gouges like that common back in the early stages of nhb/vale tudo or was gordeau just being a complete assfuck?

also if you ever get into a street fight, should i have to worry about some fucker trying to take my eye out?
    I wouldnīt say that they were common, but they happened more often than they do today. Iīve never heard of anyone being permanently blinded by them other than Nakai, and Iīve NEVER heard of an eye gouge turning the momentum of a fight back then - most often it was a desperation move by non-grapplers who didinīt have a ground game. Also, the fact that refereeing wasnīt any good back then played a role, people could get away with more because the refs had little experience or understanding of what they were doing.

Iīve even been eye gouged myself while rolling, not on purpose.....but not by accident either if you know what I mean. Some newbies get so freaked out when they are being choked, like in a triangle for instance that they do stuff they donīt conciously realise they are doing, like poke you in the eye or fish hook you or something. Itīs a mixture of inexperience, claustrophobia and an overcompetitive attitude. In my case it sort of pissed me off but today that guy is a good grappler

As for your question of should you worry about eye gouges......yes and no. In a striking situation the mechanics of evading or blocking eye gouges are the same as for punches, in a clinch situation itīs the same as dealing with crossfaces/neckties and on the ground itīs just an addendum to regular grappling. There are no seperate "anti-eye gouging maneuvers".

Oh and if you really want to eye gouge someone(as in scooping the eyeballs clean out of the skull), there is no better position to do it from than the mount. See the climatic end battle from the most excellent "28 Days Later" for a demonstration.

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 2:17pm

Style: Kukki-Taekwondo, Yudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who said im going to do it? i dont roll with that dishonorable ****. ii was asking because im worried it might happen to me should i ever get into a street fight. it's brutal what happened to nakai

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they try to eye gouge you, bite them. Or rip out their trachea.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or armbar
    カンフー

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 2:27pm

Style: no-gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKDer
    who said im going to do it? i dont roll with that dishonorable ****. ii was asking because im worried it might happen to me should i ever get into a street fight. it's brutal what happened to nakai
    Sorry dude, didnīt mean to insinuate anything. Just wanted to namedrop one of my favourite movies! :laughing7

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 3:52pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, first off I sw the earbite vs Royce in UFC 1 and thought he was a bastard then, but blinding a guy!?!?! WTF, I'm off to kill his family now...

And about eye-gouges, if they can't hit you in the head, then they can't gouge yer eyes out.

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 4:11pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone here read No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry. It goes into the background of early Mixed Martial Arts around the world and sheds light on things like...
    - the Muhammad Ali vs Inoki debacle
    - Gerard's eye gouge
    - Art Jimmerson's one boxing glove

It's a great book and it'll clear up a lot of questions when it comes to early Mixed Martial Arts. As for the eye gouge. The chances of it being seriously damaging are extremely low so I wouldn't ever worry about it. It's not terribly hard to defend either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 4:34pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David Bowie got into a fight when he was 15 and had his eye gouged (could have been poked with a compass or a rign - many theories). Thats why his one eye is permantly dialated.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 4:42pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Einar Fridgeirs
    Oh and if you really want to eye gouge someone(as in scooping the eyeballs clean out of the skull), there is no better position to do it from than the mount. See the climatic end battle from the most excellent "28 Days Later" for a demonstration.
    Now THAT was an eye gouge.

* shudder *
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast