Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

which MMA league do u like best Pride or UFC? which do you think has the best competitors? The best fights to watch?

Personally I like Pride. I think they attract better fighters. Pride is practically the national sport of japan and ompetitors are well paid. UFC isn't as popular and I'v read that even the best fighters only make 1k-2k a fight. I also find the UFC fights to be rushed by the fighters, Pride is betterto watch IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride. Hands down. The UFC could be a lot better if they stopped making stupid decisions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride by a landslide is better. The fighters are better, fights are more exicting, fighters are treated better, and it has more potential to make it into mainstream.

I herd somewhere that the UFC might have to shut down because they aren't seling enough tickets for shows. Melt Down only had something like 6,000 seats.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 1:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride has the better fighter base overall but UFC is more exciting.

Besides that I agree with what Katana says.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride by a mile

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC! UFC! UFC! (Just to be different...go against the trend, man!)

Seriously though, besides location, what are the major differences between the two anyway? Ring dimensions? Rules? Rounds? Time limits? I've never understood the difference.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Wake me up.
    Bid my blood to run.
    I can't wake up.
    Before I come undone.
    Save me.
    Save me from the nothing I've become." -Evanescence, Bring Me To Life
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2003 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Pride/UFC are both fighting sports and I can't say one is better than the other. Also, because I haven't seen any Pride matches, only clips from net. But I'd have to say that so far, UFC strays from just being fighting-fighting and tries too hard to bring in fans by making promos that bring in "personal" problems (something America really likes on the media, just not attractive in fighting, I guess?)...I almost felt a reminiscence of WWF/E during UFC40 promos/intros, and that isn't too good. If UFC was just about the fighting and fighters respected eachother just a little bit more, just a finger nail more, then it'd be all good. It's okay to raise hands in victory or yell but when you are running around in circles, screaming your head off, then continue to rampage on nat'l television how people can shut their mouths, and how this person ain't **** or that person ain't nothing, etc. well, I get turned of by it. Just raise your hands, take one yell, shake the other guy's hand, and get the hell out. Well, that's just my opinion. How's Pride like with the respect thing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 10:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC

Pros:

- Decent divisions in most weight divisions
    - The cage
    - Beginning to gain a decent audience, translating to an ability to hire better fighters

Cons:

- Shitty judging (one of the judges @ UFC 41 was a stand-up comedian for ****'s sake!)
    - Pro-wrestling like antics in order to compete with WWE for the lowest common denominator (Tank Abbott's comeback, etc.)
    - Questionable hometown decisions(Busta/Liddell)
    - The cage, and athletes usage of it.
    - Rules system needs an overhaul. (Points given for escapes, etc.)
    - Commentators: Half the time they have no fucking idea what they're talking about

Pride

Pros:

- Remarkable heavyweight and middleweight divisions
    - Rules very close to original vale tudo
    - The ring eliminates a lot of the "stack against the cage and stall" behaviour seen in UFC, resulting in some spectacular displays of stand-up and groundwork
    - Large budget enabling them to get the world's best heavy/middleweights

Cons:
    - Shitty Japanese tomato can Pro-wrestlers constantly brought into events for a beating at the hands of a decent fighter. The next time I see some poor sap brought in for a vicious beating at the more-than-capable hands of Wanderlei Silva, I will not be a happy camper. Unfortunately, they bring in DSE's bread-and-butter.
    - Questionable hometown decisions
    - Lightweight divisions? What Lightweight divisions? You're not going to see Pequeno, Sato, Vasquez, Sudo, or any other first-class light- and flyweights here anytime soon
    - Commentators: Quadros must be replaced! As soon as it hits the ground, Bas loses the ability to communicate the situation effectively.

Both of these organisations have a shitload of problems, and they won't be resolved anytime soon. However, a good event in either of these comps is definitely worth watching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, well, I almost kinda figured Pride has alot of the talking **** to the media and destroying the image of the other. SO what actually does go on? Like, is it very serious, like "Tyson brawl in suits at conference" serious? And I've always wondered, why is that? Why is there no light/fly weight division? Because I wanna see Sato and others...not everyone in unarmed combat is 199lbs and pumped up with proteins and it'd be nice to see smaller fighters on the set. One more thing: do those fighters use protein/creatine supplements?

Posted On:
    6/28/2003 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC has too many dam rules now. It sucks!

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast