Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/enshin karate/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What a Good Martial art for someone with flat fleet.

i just went to a free boxing class at my college for the first time and i picked up some of the stuff real easy,but i had a hard time staying on the toes of my feet which made doing some of the combo's hardbecasue i had to move around on my heels and having flat feet makes it hard because i have no arch in my feet.

so should i quit MA completely or are there other arts i can take. preferably a stand up art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 3:27pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have massive flat feet, and I'm doing fine in Judo.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pull guard. FTW.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 4:14pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have flat feet and I've never thought of it as ever hampering my ability to learn martial arts. As a matter of fact I'd say I pick up things quicker than the average person due to being highly athletic and playing baseball and basketball very competitively when I was younger (another thing flat feet never affected). Did you ever think that maybe what you are doing is hard because you've never done it before? If you really do have experience in MMA/JKD/Muay Thai/SAMBO then you should be no stranger to new and unnatural body movements that take time to pick up.

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 4:34pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have flat feet. You *want* systems that encourage you to stay on the balls of your feet because your knees are more likely to be properly aligned. If you use any postures where your feet are flat, your knee will drop inward, leading to long term injuries.

As I just got out of surgery to fix such an injury *today*, I can vouch for the truth of this.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When the hell did flat feet become a fucking disability?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    The moment we became a nation of pussies.

Seriously though, lazyartist101, you are either trolling or you are whining a bit too much. Seriously, MA is not supposed to be comfortable. By its very nature, it will be very uncomfortable at a times.

The discomfort, if any, that being flat footed brings you should not be reason enough to even consider quitting MA. I'd say you are not that seriously interested, which is totally acceptable... OR you wanted to avoid the hard physical work that comes with it (and which makes training sessions to suck ass.)

But in the unlikely event you are actually feeling a discomfort that is truly, truly bad, it could be then that you have an existing condition on your foot, microfactures maybe. I'm just throwing that out in the event what you say is true (since I know what a microfacture in the foot is like.)

Apart from a microfacture, the most likely cause is dorsiflexion inflexibility. Your ankles may be weak and inflexible, the articulations in your feet may be weak, and/or your calve and shin muscles are weak and inflexible. Nothing than cannot be corrected. See www.exrx.net for advice in how to deal with it.

If you still can't cope with the discomfort, then I'd suggest you see a doctor or something. It can't possibly be just because you are flat-footed, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Do you have some kind of textual Tourette's or something? Did anyone use the word "disability?"

Flat feet usually aren't a problem (or "disability") for most things except when it comes to high-stress activities that involve changing direction/pivoting while bearing a load. Wih flat feet, you will tend to bear your weight too far inward on each foot. People with flat feet also tend to be flexible in other joints, because your arch is a function of low elasticity in the bottom of the foot. If you have that, you probably tend to have loose knees, hips, etc.

The net efect of this is to draw your knees and hips out of alignment into a "knock-knees" posture. When you drop your weight onto a knee positioned like this repeatedly, the stresses can cause eventual injury.

(Incidentally, this means that some forms of Wing Chun training and bad karate training are biomechanically dangerous to the practitioner.)

When your weight is on the balls of your feet your feet create the tension and positioning associated with a proper arch. Physiotherapy exercises to help create arch tone generally force you to push the ball of your foot near the big toe down and back for this reason.

Before my surgery I was given a set of exercises to help with this sort of problem. They're easy to do and can't hurt you:

3x15 was recommended to me.

1) The grabbing the towel with your toes exercise. It's borning and frustrating, but it works. Scrunch up a towel with your toes. Add weight when this gets easy.

2) Stand on one foot -- with your eyes closed (this forces you to rely in proprioception.

3) Tense the bottom of youre foot to create an arch. Once the arch is created raise your toes, slowly and lower them, keeping the tense arch.

4) Calf raises. Lots and lost of calf raises.

5) Stretch calves and ankles. Especially the outside of the ankle (tou want to aim for tone/tightness in the inside).

6) Squats using an exercise ball, while concentrating on maintaining knee/ankle alignment and your arch.

Again, this is informtion provided by the physio program I was on, so it comes from professionals, *but* be warned that it was tailored for me to complement surgery and prevent re-injury. On the other hand, it's very light exercise and can't hurt.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyartist101
    i just went to a free boxing class at my college for the first time and i picked up some of the stuff real easy,but i had a hard time staying on the toes of my feet which made doing some of the combo's hardbecasue i had to move around on my heels and having flat feet makes it hard because i have no arch in my feet.

so should i quit MA completely or are there other arts i can take. preferably a stand up art.
    stop being a whiny ***** and making excuses. flat feet isnt the problem here its your victim complex.

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a **** of a lot of **** talk for a thread that is:

A) A reasonable topic started without much fanfare (the OP didn't fucking say "disabled," idiots. He said he was having a minor-sounding problem and reasonably asked for suggestions on how to tune it up).

B) Doesn't even belong in YMAS.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast