Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cskidd359
    huh. thats ironic because in fencing if you start coaching(not helping beginner out with a technique, but actually coaching) alot you usually start doing worse then if you were just focusing on your own technique. Seems to be the opposite in martial arts...
    I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that one should replace training with teaching, that's kind of an absurd assumption to make.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knowledge is power. hide it well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 11:21am

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no secrets, Pauli, only work.

Kidspatula: fencing requires some very hardwired reactions. When you coach, to an extent you dilute those reactions by intentionally making the mistakes upon which you want your student to learn to capitalize. It's a specialized case that does not really apply to the m.a. world at large because of the significant differences in pedagogy.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 2:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I taught (Shotokan... yeah, I know!) I found my kihon techniques improved because I had to show the long version of techniques, and pass those techniques on. My stances were good (and utterly impractical), and everthing was rosy in the garden.
    I ate **** sparring though, because I found I was doing ridiculously stuttering kicks from neko ashi dachi and had begun chambering my punches (something I hadn't done in years). I also forgot how to sidestep.
    I'd never been a technical karateka, but had always considered fighting my thing, so it was a shock to find out I'd become sucky.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12