Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 12:25am

Style: Muay Thai, RBSD Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido would have been better suited to a place long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, such as that in Star Wars. The esoteric mysticism must have links with the jedi 'force'. And besides, just look at the similarities here:

long live the 'force'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:10am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Aikido and Judo seem to go well together. I would also suspect Aikido and boxing woudl be a good blend.

Most Aikidoka woould disagree with this which is why it is not generally respected
    Agreed. When I train MMA I often find myself getting into viable poistions to start ikkyo, rokyo and irimnage. So Id say training some good standup will help make your aikido more funtional.

Having said that I do tend to spar with mostly beginners (less than 1 year Muai Thai) and doubt Id have the same sucess against more advanced practicioners of serious striking arts.
    Last edited by DDale; 9/27/2006 10:24am at .

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we have enough "why you hate aikido?" threads without reviving old ones

as a matter of fact, here's one just for you

AIKIDO

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DDale
    Agreed. When I train MMA I often find myself getting into viable poistions to start ikkyo, rokyo and irimnage. So Id say training some good standup will help make your aikido more funtional.

Having said that I do tend to spar with mostly beginners (less than 1 year Muai Thai) and doubt Id have the same sucess against more advanced practicioners of serious striking arts.
    Have you started throwing people in your Muay Thai class yet? It never occured to me before that you could throw people with boxing gloves using Aikido.
    カンフー

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 11:22am

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Have you started throwing people in your Muay Thai class yet? It never occured to me before that you could throw people with boxing gloves using Aikido.
    Irimi nage and kaiten nage are not too bad with boxing gloves on.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/27/2006 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we still talking about how badly Aikido sucks in the face of other MA?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 9:38am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Not Muay thai, MMA we wear padded grapling gloves.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 10:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to toss my 2 cents in. I played around with the UGA aikido club for a couple of months and I have to say, if one of those guys gets a hold of you then can toss you around pretty good. I worked with the instructor and was uncooperative on the throws, not to the point of punching him in the head or anything, but mostly I was just checking out the mechanics. He was able to toss me pretty hard even when I was being uncooperative, trying to escape, etc... So it seems like the principals behind the mechanics are sound. Though I think you would have to be quite good to apply those principals in a confrontation.

I do have an eyewitness account of Aikido working on T3h Str33t though. No video to accompany it unfortunately. I was at a friends house, we came back from dinner, there was a cop in the parking lot talking to a guy. After a minute the guy turns around and takes maybe a half step away. The cop grabs him by the left wrist and by the head and face plants him into the ground. The motion was identical to ones I saw with the Aikido club.
    So yeah, you can't say that getting someone to faceplant onto the concrete isn't going to be effective. It's whether you can pull that off or not for real that will make the difference.

Kintanon
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678