Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:30pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why all the Aikido bashing?

Out of curiousity, why does everyone here seem to have the opine that Aikido is not MA? Has anyone got anything to say that does involve trre-hugging, granola, or circle jerks? Or is this just the bandwagon thing where everyone mocks an art they have not studied, and i do NOT mean studied in the Academic sense, but in practical, or is it that aikido represents something other than using your fists to fight?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:33pm

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiguy
    Out of curiousity, why does everyone here seem to have the opine that Aikido is not MA? Has anyone got anything to say that does involve trre-hugging, granola, or circle jerks? Or is this just the bandwagon thing where everyone mocks an art they have not studied, and i do NOT mean studied in the Academic sense, but in practical, or is it that aikido represents something other than using your fists to fight?
    1. Search function

2. Because it doesn't work

3. Many of us have studied it.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lack of truly resistent / Alive training and the view of many Aikidoka that Aikido is a complete art that deals effectively with all ranges of fighting.

Other than that it's fine

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiguy
    You can find answers to your question by either using the #@#%@!~! search function, or by gayishly trotting towards the end of the rainbow where a golden pot with all the answers you seek is guarded by a masturbating leprechaun.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by missile
    1. Search function

2. Because it doesn't work

3. Many of us have studied it.
    how can you say it does not work? there are countless ways to prove this, and there are countless people who have done it. and what is search function? forgive my ignorance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    You can find answers to your question by either using the #@#%@!~! search function, or by gayishly trotting towards the end of the rainbow where a golden pot with all the answers you seek is guarded by a masturbating leprechaun.
    i'm sorry, that didn't address the question.... I never asked where the pot of gold was...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Lack of truly resistent / Alive training and the view of many Aikidoka that Aikido is a complete art that deals effectively with all ranges of fighting.

Other than that it's fine
    i will agree that it is not a complete art... but done correctly can protect you in most situations... cept for the ground o'course.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Countless? Who has made it work? Did it work on a fully resisting opponent?

Name names now, and they better not be O-Sensei or Steven Segal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:42pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikiguy, they're referring to the fact that Aikido doesn't work in a real fight. We all know it works just fine in the dojo.

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:43pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is great for dealing with drunk guys and people you're larger than, without getting yourself into legal trouble.

But it's not a fighting art and never should be confused with one.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast