Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 3:02pm

Style: tkd, kickboxing, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Minneapolis. I train kick boxing at "The Cellar" in Arden Hills. I train BJJ at "Revolution Self Defense and Fitness" in Eden Prairie. Obviously I like both schools or I would not waste my money.

The Cellar is run by Chris Chicon who is an amature fighter. They have a bunch of good amature fighters to play with there and the atmosphere is great. They also have an MMA class taought by a guy who I belive has 6 fights.

Rev Self Defense and fitness is run by Damien Hirtz who is a BJJ black belt under Dave Camarillo. I know Damien has a strong Jui Jitsu competition back ground himself and works with Brock LARson.

Minnesota Martial Arts Acadamy has a strong reputation and The have Sherk and I belive they also have Brock Lesner. I have never trained at this school but their tournements are very well run so I can only assume good things.

Finially the U of M judo club us super cool. I have not played with them much but whenever I have gone they are very welcoming to outsiders.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: danzan ryu/drunk fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info on the cellar and nelsons school. as to green dragon kung fu/ stay away.the get whay into secrets and spying on there students. its was either the reader or city pages that did a story on them a couple of years ago/didnt paint a good light on them.also call there sometimes all you get is there machine. check it out for yourself but theres got to be better real kung fu in mpls. try united martial arts. there in a.v. http://www.uma-mn-.com/index.htm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:21pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know of an SAMBO schools in the area. The Minnesota Martial Arts Academy has a good reputation and the teachers there know their Muay Thai. I believe their MMA team is by invitation only but their BJJ classes are available.

I train Mongolian at the Avatar Martial Arts Association in Hopkins. The Mongolian has throws and groundfighting. Its interesting to see if you just want to check it out. If you've done SAMBO I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on where in Minneapolis you live another school to look at would be "Combat JuJitsu" that is actually located in the City of Minneapolis. It is Japanese JuJitsu, but I have seen there guys at BJJ tournaments and they roll for like 20minutes at the end of every class.

The guy who teaches MMA over at The Cellar got his start in JuJitsu there and he is really quite good. Granted I am new to grapeling, but I out weigh the guy by probably 100 lbs and he usually kicks my ass on the ground so at very least he is good enough to over come a big weight disadvantage. So based on the statistical sampeling of one student and the fact that I have seen their students and instructors at tournements, Combat JuJitsu seems solid.

Just to help narrow things down, where in the Twin Cities area do you live. It might help narrow down where people recomend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BASE853
    Just to help narrow things down, where in the Twin Cities area do you live. It might help narrow down where people recomend.
    Its nice to train close. BASE, I work in Arden Hills, where exactly is The Cellar and is it open during lunch hours?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hands
    Its nice to train close. BASE, I work in Arden Hills, where exactly is The Cellar and is it open during lunch hours?

Here is their website:
    http://www.cellarkickboxing.com/

They do not have classes over lunch time, but Chris is usually there. We have had our MMA classes during lunch time when there were fights at night that we wanted to go to in the past. I would give him a call and talk to him about it, he may have open gym hours, but I DON'T KNOW so I may be wrong. Give him a call.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: danzan ryu/drunk fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the info guys.no i have not taken sambo but would love to.its suppose to be frickin amazing ground skills.the cellar looks cool but a wee bit out of my way. warriors cove burnsville would be closer.i work weird shifts so reg. classses are normally out of the question.called the guys on mongolian wrestling/seemed straight forward.did a little at running tiger/castro schools,nice people but a little too mcdojoish for me.so the eternal look at schools and styles continues, at least beers close by.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by in sorte diabol
    thanks for the info guys.no i have not taken sambo but would love to.its suppose to be frickin amazing ground skills.the cellar looks cool but a wee bit out of my way. warriors cove burnsville would be closer.i work weird shifts so reg. classses are normally out of the question.called the guys on mongolian wrestling/seemed straight forward.did a little at running tiger/castro schools,nice people but a little too mcdojoish for me.so the eternal look at schools and styles continues, at least beers close by.
    If you want ground skills and are on the south west side of the metro check this place out:
    http://www.revdefenseandfitness.com/

This is the BJJ school that I train at in Eden Prairie. It is run by a BJJ black belt and it is super fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BASE853
    If you want ground skills and are on the south west side of the metro check this place out:
    http://www.revdefenseandfitness.com/

This is the BJJ school that I train at in Eden Prairie. It is run by a BJJ black belt and it is super fun.
    Do they have any open classes? I would like to see how my training in Mongolian compares to BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hands
    Do they have any open classes? I would like to see how my training in Mongolian compares to BJJ.
    I have never seen a Mangolian Wrestling player before, I am very curious.

I would give Damien a call at the nuber from the web site. I know that at the end of every class there is open mat for a long time but I DON'T KNOW if people can just walk in and start rolling. I don't want to guess and speak for the school, so give him a call.

If you can't get anything going at the BJJ school I would open to meeting up for some FRIENDLY rolling somewhere else if we can find mats...maybe at the U of M rec center???? I am not very good at the grappeling, but I do enjoy it and am always looking for more stuff to learn.

That extends to anyone in the Twin Cities area. I really am proud of the Martial Arts comunity that we have here in town so if people want to get together for some FRIENDLY training I would be all about it. I really enjoy both of the schools I am at, but if we can find open mat space it would be fun to train with differnt people and different styles.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast