Posted On:
    8/26/2006 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Wait, you sucked my mom's penis?
    Yeah, but it was for money, so it didn't really count.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Why exactly do they wanna change position? MMA, they can just pound your head in. In sport BJJ, they're usually up on points if you're mounted or whatever. You may wanna learn some escapes.
    In MMA, if people actually want to harm you they have to move. I know this sounds incredible, and I'm sorry to say I have no MMA record to back this up, but hitting people while holding position is diffcult, don't you agree?

When it comes to sport BJJ, yes. As I said I'm in a slump on this. Since I also do Sport JJ where the hold down is actually scoring points I know very well of the way points will simply stack up if you lie there doing nothing. I'm not suggesting doing nothing but staying still like a corpse. But exerting yourself in desperation to escape and being frustrated about it won't do much. Plus, holding a position is never a static thing to do. When people move to get away, you have to move with them. I don't have the strength to create opening so I have to wriggle around to see what happens. Not necessarily try escape after escape when people allready have a good solid position.
    More human than human is our motto.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Yeah, but it was for money, so it didn't really count.
    Oh. Yeah, in that case, it's cool.

Fanatical, what do you do if someone gets you in a position and just sits there? He gains energy, you slowly drain yours anyway. That's my problem. They don't want to move. They just stay there. ****, that's what I do. Wear them out before moving on.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 12:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone is way better than you and is like Villain said purposefully simply holding you down without any attempts at submitting or improving it's pretty easy to say that you will have to get tired no matter what, since the problem itself is like wondering how to escape submission from people who are better than you.

The point I tried to make was to not scramble, not panic. Basically relax and pick your attempts well. In BJJ, thank heavens there is no 10-20 second hold limit which suddenly awards the other person points, and you have that time to try to move without expending a lot of energy right away. It could be someone is up on points and are just trying to ride it out like Villain said. But lying there doesn't give him extra points and if he's not trying to submit, you have a smaller risk when attempting your escapes. And all the more time to set it up.

There's no perfect scenario for stuff like this as I'm sure most guys know. I'm not suggesting the ultimate solution, just stuff that often has worked for me. If he has established a really good position and is just content on holding it then of course it will be difficult. And like I said the only thing that works for me, is to "pick my shots" and to stay immobile to provoke a reaction I can use. Last ditch attempt could be baiting a friggin submission, but I don't like that game.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 12:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Erm, no. Hitting people with short, controlled shots isn't too difficult. This is why you mount a bag in training and beat the **** out of it. And put on boxing gloves when you roll sometimes. Striking should be integrated into your BJJ and a couple short elbows shouldn't miraculously send you flying off of mount.

Now, as someone WITH an MMA record, I can tell you from experience that if your strategy is to wait til the bombs start dropping, you're fucked. If they settle, you're in trouble. If they settle and start dropping ****, its probably game over.
    I hate dissecting posts, but ok.

My meandering experience is that settling in is always the problem. That keeping mobile usually makes that tricky. Nor should strikes make you fall off anything. But any time I focus on striking, I have to give up, if even for a very limited time for instance the posts provided by my arms.

But I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing more training for striking and/or MMA. But I'll see about that when I get the interest to deal with the Muay Thai thing where I train. There's a general rule that we have to go through a beginner course of both BJJ and MT before being allowed to train MMA. So far I'll just see what the future brings.

No ****.
    Yeah, no **** :P

Yes, from one dominant position to another. My flow for troublesome guys on top is simply mount to modified mount. If they wanna just wiggle, I won't even bother. I bag my gi over their head and cook them. I only shift when threatened with a real escape. Even then, if they stop escaping, I simply reset. I'm not gonna go for some hail mary armbar.
    I've never been cooked in any position yet. I may just be exceptionally calm or maybe people just haven't been very good at it. My main problems come from threat of submission and crappy skill with lack of escape and defence.

Thats now how escapes are supposed to work. Mine are all based on shrimping, bridging and/or scissoring. None of those things rely on a lot of muscle. Lets say Im under side control. I bump once to get the inside arm across their stomach (down towards my feet). Thats all. I don't lift them, struggle with them or anything. Just a bump and a move. If they wanna keep pressure on, which they will, I wait a sec, let them start settling and bump again for the full escape.
    This is my fault for not being clear. Any "wriggling" I've mentioned isn't just mindless worming. I should have just typed attempting escapes instead.

Wriggling will just get you cooked. Your escapes don't necssarily have to work 100%, but THATS what should keep them from settling, not aimless wriggling.
    Like I said. Badly worded by me. Sorry about that.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 9:10am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need to learn how to let stuff go

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganista
    You stated your preferred technique and then listed tapping noobs as your only stated reason for that preference.
    I can see how you would interpret my post that way, but that was not what I meant.

Tapping newbs with positional control happens, but it should never be a goal. If you can't submit a skilled practitioner with a move then it's not a solid technique as a submission.

On topic, when I'm in an uncomfortable position I try to relax as much as possible. This includes focusing on my breathing and improving my position, usually in small increments if my opponent is a skilled one. There are some guys where I train who have phenomenal control in side control, N/S etc. When they are smothering me I usually have to wait for them to start a transition to make my reverse/escape attempt.

Occasionally, when I was a white belt, I let big guys crush me for as long as I could take it to learn how to deal with pressure from underneath.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345