Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 8:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    This would probably be a good time for me to ask - any of you more experienced BJJers wanna suggest something I can do to mitigate a nasty knee-on-stomach? At class last saturday I was rolling with a massive guy (i'm not that big myself) who wasnt able to get any subs but his knee-on-stomach was so damn painful that I had to tap. That evening at a party my damn chest hurt whenever small females were hugging me goodbye.

So - anyway to mitigate it, or should I just get better at escaping real fast?
    Push his far knee away from you in a horizontal fashion. It prevents him from fully bearing his weight down onto your chest.

I prefer knee on chest to KoB. My knee is pointing toward his opposite shoulder or ear and my kneecap is bearing down on his far pectoral. Everytime he exhales I push down harder so he can't subsequently inhale. Newbs tap to this all the time.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 9:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well tapping noobs isn't exactly the hallmark of a viable technique.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 10:28pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put a 45# on my chest and practice conciously holding it out while I breathe.

I don't know if the weight is developing any muscles but it makes you breathe with your diaphram and not your rib muscles.

Flexibility helps - I had to work the specific muscles used rolling quite a bit before I got over some pretty intense knots that would form in my shoulders and back during my earlier sessions.

You also, with time, get better at the art of the scramble, so that when you get a guy on you, he's not on you like leather on a baseball
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 11:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaganista
    Well tapping noobs isn't exactly the hallmark of a viable technique.
    Unless you're Pe de Pano, KoB will only submit wussy newbs. Any mat hugger worth his salt should be able to tolerate a vicious KoB.

I thought this was implied when I said, 'newbs tap to it all the time.'
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 1:47am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what i get new people to do
    - tap
    - go maybe 25% on them so they figure out what to do
    - repeat 50%
    - repeat 100%

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 3:42am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    This would probably be a good time for me to ask - any of you more experienced BJJers wanna suggest something I can do to mitigate a nasty knee-on-stomach? At class last saturday I was rolling with a massive guy (i'm not that big myself) who wasnt able to get any subs but his knee-on-stomach was so damn painful that I had to tap. That evening at a party my damn chest hurt whenever small females were hugging me goodbye.

So - anyway to mitigate it, or should I just get better at escaping real fast?
    Isn't escaping hugs what _ing __un is all about? You shouldn't have to go here to learn about that.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is some great advice in this thread. I just in the past couple months have gotten used to that feeling after about six months of training. One of my coaches commented when he rolled with me that I had "calmed down".

Read the Aesopian escape fundamentals thread here in DHS and start focusing on those things. If I'm just getting destroyed by an upper belt or a judo guy that has 50lbs. on me, I'll just make it a training opportunity and just focus on like one or two things like getting to my side or keeping my hands between us. If you have something to focus on that is simple, you won't be as likely to feel trapped and panic. It's training, you don't have to escape every time, but you should work on your escape.

I rolled with a purple last class and spent the whole time under any position he wanted to take. I decided the only thing I would do is not get armbarred by letting my arms flail around or come out from between us. I obviously got submitted, but I was able to hang on for a minute or two at a time without getting armbarred and when I did get armbarred he had to take my arm from me, it wasn't wrapped around his back or pushing up on his chin or something stupid like that.

Having a plan helps a lot. Just trying to get out without a methodical approach will not work for long. You might get away with it as a new white rolling with weaker white belts, but that's it. One of my instructor's instructors likes to let a guy bridge three times, he says in his experience a guy has three good bridges in him on average. When I start using up my energy bridging or just pushing on whatever body part is closest without setting up the escape I end up exhausted and flattened out.

Sorry for the long post. I'm kind of a long scrawny bastard and that feeling of being dominated by a wrestler / grappler was very uncomfortable for me at first. Hang in there, in 6 mos. a newbie who is bigger than you will come in and you will be able to dominate him. Then you will see how much you have improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all for the advice.

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Unless you're Pe de Pano, KoB will only submit wussy newbs. Any mat hugger worth his salt should be able to tolerate a vicious KoB.

I thought this was implied when I said, 'newbs tap to it all the time.'
    You said you liked KoC better than KoB because you could tap noobs with it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want discomfort? Try KoF.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast