Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 7:34am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

All great info

Great info thatks all

Abe Frohman - Most bodybuilding workouts that I have seen do have a lot more exercises per body part and don't they usually do more of a split routine. Push/pull or grouping bodyparts together? Well I have an Olympic weightlifting set. I have a mega smith system with pec dec and dip station. Also have rack of dumbells that go up to 80lbs. Did not want to add in squat or deadlift just yet. Wanted to strengthen lower body before I went into that direction. By olympic style are you refering to "power cleans" "clean and jerk" stuff like that? Thank you for the input....

RoninPimp - I looked at the crossfit sight. Seems extremely interesting I will definitely strat to hunt through there website and get the info there. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It will be really useful.

Repulsive Monkey - Not only do GP's not know much but the doctor who did the surgery was not real helpful either.... Thank you for the advice. Funny about the lighter weight thing is that I knew so many people who were in gyms that always would say "go heavy or go home". I agree with you on the endurance part it was also part of the workout to only take 15-30 seconds in between sets to help get your body use to recovering quicker. Again thanks for the advice I will be adding very light squats and light deadlifts.

Thank you all that replied hopefully I wll be able to get myself firing on all 8 cylinders again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 8:07am

Style: isshinryu googlefu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 on lighter weights, more reps... Your not trying to be a monster, you'll gain endurance, and not screw your joints...

ez
    Last edited by ///ez-prey; 8/24/2006 8:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 8:18am

Style: n00b.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've looked at some of the stuff on crossfit.com, and while I don't claim to be an expert, many people who know what the **** they're talking about (doctors) have told me that doing squats with your knees bent beyond 90 or going down further than parallel to the ground is bad. I'd be leery of their stuff, if I were you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 9:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CrapKnee - I have heard a number of people say that about breaking the 90 degree plain while squating but then again I have known some power lifters who move a ton of weight and have not had issues at all. I guess if your predisposed to knee injuries any type of strenuous lower body work will f your knees up. Alot of times not sure who to follow..... Anyway thanks for the input you do bring up some great points.

Hey all would anyone like to share a workout that they have had some real good success at I can modify it around my issues until I can go all out again?
    Thanks all

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 1:06pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Powerlifters will go lower than 90 degrees, but not during the training season. It's only in the period leading up to competition that they'll start dropping.

There's still discussion on what movements ultimately put the greatest amount shearing forces on your knee, but most authorities recommend not going past parallel.

Also, doing push-pull sets is not exclusive to bodybuilders. It's a good time-efficient way to work out and take advantage of reciprocal inhibition (fatiguing a muscle that will serve as an antagonist in your next exercise)

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 1:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would try pick up drop sets to boost endurance for now. It's the exact opposite of what your doing. Squats should be ass to calves, because when you stop at 90 degrees, your making your knees act as brakes. Beyond 90 degrees just uses your strength in that full length of motion.

Yeah, start with easy plyometrics and learn perfect squatting and deadlifting form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:15pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Abe Frohman - Most bodybuilding workouts that I have seen do have a lot more exercises per body part and don't they usually do more of a split routine. Push/pull or grouping bodyparts together? Well I have an Olympic weightlifting set. I have a mega smith system with pec dec and dip station. Also have rack of dumbells that go up to 80lbs. Did not want to add in squat or deadlift just yet. Wanted to strengthen lower body before I went into that direction. By olympic style are you refering to "power cleans" "clean and jerk" stuff like that? Thank you for the input....
    Sure Bodybuilding can use a split or there are plenty of routines with full body workouts. Just depends on the coach and your goals. Myself and a few others on here are fans of Testosterone Nation (T-nation.com) and Chad Waterbury's programs which I highly recommend you check out.

I am in a similar situation to you, in that I am recovering from a surgery, only mine was to repair a torn achilles tendon and I am further along recovery wise. Working with my doctor I spent months just working on recovering range of motion and enough strength to work out. Once I was cleared I started up with a basic routine that I am actually doing right now. Check out NB3 (Next Big Three) http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459914 Its a simple program, but works your entire body with some excellent movements. Will especially help with your leg strength. Even if you dont like the program I would recommend something with similar type movements. Just make sure your doc clears you and dont worry about setting prs and concentrate on form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All great info guys this is awesome. Thanks Repulsive Monkey

baofuhaibo - I have done drop sets before when I had worked out with a few bodybuilder friends of mine. They are definitely killer on the endurance factor. Great Idea by the way I totally forgot about them. With plyometrics I heard they should only be done when you are at a 100% due to the fact the do put a lot of stress on the muscle group you are working. I could be wrong I am far from being an expert.

Abe Frohman - I checked out that workout at T-nation you suggested. It looks pretty good. I definitely want to give it a try.

Alot of the workouts you guys are suggesting look more to be workouts you would do for "strongman" comps.

At least I have a real good base of knowledge to start off with. Thanks for all your help!

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrapKnee
    I've looked at some of the stuff on crossfit.com, and while I don't claim to be an expert, many people who know what the **** they're talking about (doctors) have told me that doing squats with your knees bent beyond 90 or going down further than parallel to the ground is bad. I'd be leery of their stuff, if I were you.
    -Doctor are notorious for bad fitness advice. Many in the S&C world don't agree about this issue either. I always squat deep and have never had a problem with my knees.
    Last edited by RoninPimp; 8/24/2006 4:19pm at .

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go a lot easier for the first 30 days instead of exhaustion to get yoru various joints and ligaments back up to speed.

freetrainers.com has some good workouts that I've used with success and it really is free and they haven't spammed me or sent me **** in 2+ years.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast