Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 8:52am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with workout

Hey all,
    Just getting back into training after some time off. I had surgery on my leg which kept me from training with any amount of consistency til now. Now it is ready to go. I am 36 5'8" 170lbs. Wanted to get some opinions on what I am currently doing.

Mon, Wed, Sat - Martial Arts Training

Tues, Thurs, (Sunday optional depending on is I missed during week) - Weight Training
    Weight Training:
    Benchpress Warmup 1x35 then 5 - 4 -3 - 2 - 1
    Dips 3 x of as many as I can get out
    Pullup 3 x as many as I can do
    Bentover Row 3 x 12
    Dumbell Shoulder Press 3 x 12
    Tricep Pressdown 3 x 15
    Thigh Ext 3 x 20 (Have to gain strength back in leg before I squat)
    Leg Curl 3 x 20

Anyway what do you all think about this. I also plan to add windsprints on my weight training days within the next 2 - 3 weeks.
    Please critique..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:31pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did not say what your goals were? have you been cleared to properly exercise the leg?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 1:54pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you had some physical thereapy after surgery, is that the routine they had suggested?

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 3:01pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would do leg presses instead of the leg curls, and ski squats instead of the extensions, or try them one legged at a time. I don't know how much you can bench, but if it's not much, try the pushup variations first in place of that because they're better for you, and you don't need pushups, dips, and triceps pushdowns, all 3 work the triceps, I'd say keep the pushups and the dips, or try weighted dips with a forward lean and eliminate quite a bit of your workout, your forgetting posterior shoulder muscles, so add high pulls. That's my 2 cents.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks like a bodybuilding routine. Martial artists should not be training like that imo.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 4:09pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What recommendations have you been given about how not to work your legs?

Speaking very generally, I'd let you get away with that kind of rep scheme for the first three or four weeks, but then it would be time to work with real weights -- with most sets topping out at 6-8 reps (that's failure, not an arbitrary number).

I assume that you do lots of ab work in your krotty class, but you still need to pay attention to your lower back and broader core strength.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 4:50pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey All,
    Thanks for replying. Ok here we go

cosai1- My goals are to get stronger without losing speed. I dont really care about gaining that much size. Being 5'8" I will never be intimidating size wise. Gave up trying to be a size monster a long time ago. Yes I have been cleared to start working legs properly. Just wanted to start off somewhat slow with them build them back up.

hl1978- Yes I did the PT route finished that up. Actually the program came from a friend of mine who is a personal trainer. The PT place I went really only gave me leg stuff to do and most of it involved light weight high reps.

baofuhaibo - Leg presses would be awesome only thing is I am currently working out at home so I dont have that particular machine to work out on. As soon as I get a little stronger/75 - 80% back I will be starting back up at a gym. My goal is to be back there by Oct/Nov... My bench is not bad maintained upper body workouts throughout it all. I do 240 for a set of 5. I forgot to add I do pushups every morning when I wake up and really dont include that as part of my weight training routine. Never really thought about all the work I was doing on my triceps but damn you are right there... Thanks for the info I will add the high pulls in.

RoninPimp - My friend the trainer that I got this program from does mostly train bodybuilders so I can totally see that. What would you change or do different?

Repulsive Monkey - Well really was not given any recommendations about what to stay away from regarding legs. I just wanted to work on strengthening them before I went balls to the wall. Or as ballz to the wall as I can get. So are you saying I should lower my reps and increase weight? I use to pyramid sets on all exercises but changed to higher rep workout for the endurance factor.
    Actually we do alot of abs in "krotty" but I also do them on my weight days. I kind of switch it up. Crunches, Hanging leg lifts, roman chair, etc...
    Actually after I am all healed up I wanted to do some Mauy Thai kick boxing. I did a little bit (3 months) a few years ago loved the workout.

Hey all thanks alot for your input if you anything else to add it would be greatly appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 5:07pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does look like a bodybuilding routine, not ideal imo.

Since you are working out at home, can you give us an idea of what you have access to? The biggest thing I see missing at first is no squats or deads or any type of olympic style movement.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like CrossFit, but **** their workouts hurt...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 7:47pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you weren't given any specific directions for your legs (not that a GP would know what the **** to tell you), then move into serious lifting gradually. I would start with lunges -- at least front and lateral -- and begin training strict form for squats and deadlifts with minimal (I mean less than 30 lbs. of weight). If there is any question in your mind whatsoever as to what is constituted by strict form then get someone who actually understands it to teach you over the course of multiple workouts. Pay a trainer if you have to.

Leg extensions are retarded on many different levels, the shearing forces they put on your knees at high weights not being the least of them. Extensions are a little better, but far from ideal.

Pyramid sets, like the rep scheme described above, are not great. If you're just getting back into things, a little hypertrophy-oriented work is ok, but really . . . There are so many better ways to do things for real strength. It's a common misconception that higher reps will help you with endurance. Really, how many endurance oriented activities require you to do 15 of something and call it a day? You should be training for explosive strength, IMO. I'm not saying that you should rush into that, but that you should be building up to that.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast