Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The pry bar?

Has anyone come across this technique from cross-sides? What does it consist of? How well does it work? What is its function?

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The prybar is a type of cross-face control. It's used to stop your opponent turning into you and to apply pressure to them from both side control and especially knee-ride. Because you apply so much pressure, it forces your opponent to try and push your knee off, giving you more opportunities to go for an armbar. I experimented with it for a while until I had to stop due to a wrist injury. It's nothing revolutionary, but it is worth trying to integrate into your top game.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 6:29pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Johnny, this title reminded me of a sub you might know about or have heard of. I got a back mount on a guy once, his belly on the floor me on top. I didnt have my legs around him, just kneeling on his ass/lower back I guess. Anyway I couldnt get anything so I remembered my wrestling years. I put a hook on his left arm with my left arm. I put that arms hand on his neck. Then I took my right arm and grabbed his left wrist and put it on his back. Sorta like a chicken wing in wrestling. I just used my left arm to lever his arm up and caused a tap, bending the shoulder I assume.

Any name for it? I think it might be somehting catch guys do.

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 6:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd call it a chickenwing. There's no real equivalent in BJJ, plus BJJ terminology is so appallingly loose that one instructor will call it something and anther will call it something else.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 8:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    The prybar is a type of cross-face control. It's used to stop your opponent turning into you and to apply pressure to them from both side control and especially knee-ride. Because you apply so much pressure, it forces your opponent to try and push your knee off, giving you more opportunities to go for an armbar. I experimented with it for a while until I had to stop due to a wrist injury. It's nothing revolutionary, but it is worth trying to integrate into your top game.
    Thanks much. Can you supply a little more detail on how the control works?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:04pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Hey Johnny, this title reminded me of a sub you might know about or have heard of. I got a back mount on a guy once, his belly on the floor me on top. I didnt have my legs around him, just kneeling on his ass/lower back I guess. Anyway I couldnt get anything so I remembered my wrestling years. I put a hook on his left arm with my left arm. I put that arms hand on his neck. Then I took my right arm and grabbed his left wrist and put it on his back. Sorta like a chicken wing in wrestling. I just used my left arm to lever his arm up and caused a tap, bending the shoulder I assume.

Any name for it? I think it might be somehting catch guys do.
    Figure of 4?

Edit: nah

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On my opponent's right side in side control, me left arm has a crossface control. My right arm is across his body and my right hand grabs my left hand. Straighten my left arm to stop him turning into me.

Matt Thornton has an instructional DVD on this technique. It's very good for someone at a white or blue belt level.