Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Style
    Judo noob, BJJ uber noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm mainly posting here just to get rid of the annoying banner telling me to post whenever I try and lurk in the rest of the forums, but anyway...

At my uni we have an ITF style school, but we have a yearly match with a WTF school at another uni with hybrid rules that everyone thinks sucks, and it basically highlights why both styles of sparring are a bit lame. The hybrid rules basically mean "medium" contact, we wear ITF style pads incl. headguards, and you;re not allowed to punch the head.

All the ITFers hate the no head punching, and the WTFers hate the lame level of contact. In fact, in my bout last year I won purely because the guy I fought had loads of points taken off for literally running at me with his hands at his waist and trying to push me over.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm on about except to say that really both types of TKD sparring are a bit lame, but your padless stuff with takedowns sounds good.
    Last edited by Gibbon; 8/23/2006 11:37am at .

Style
    krav maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    you know i find that very difficult to believe, unless you are doing the no punches to the face kyokushin sparring. and even then i doubt its full contact. we train guys for k-1 and we dont go full contact in training.remember that hard contact and full contact is not the same thing.
    Well, the reality is there don't end up being a lot of punches because it's a student verses my instructor, and he just takes us down and we end up ground fighting for the round. It's a lot of dodging and then you are pretty much screwed when he grabs ya and pulls you into a lock or to the ground.

Style
    krav maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon
    I'm mainly posting here just to get rid of the annoying banner telling me to post whenever I try and lurk in the rest of the forums, but anyway...

At my uni we have an ITF style school, but we have a yearly match with a WTF school at another uni with hybrid rules that everyone thinks sucks, and it basically highlights why both styles of sparring are a bit lame. The hybrid rules basically mean "medium" contact, we wear ITF style pads incl. headguards, and you;re not allowed to punch the head.

All the ITFers hate the no head punching, and the WTFers hate the lame level of contact. In fact, in my bout last year I won purely because the guy I fought had loads of points taken off for literally running at me with his hands at his waist and trying to push me over.

I'm not sure what the hell I'm on about except to say that really both types of TKD sparring a bit lame, but your padless stuff with takedowns sounds good.
    Yeah, they are lame if you're looking to learn to win a street fight or something, no doubt. But I think it's fun if you're just playing around like it is when we spar in class, because these people are my family; we're not looking to hurt each other, it's all just a game.

But yeah, if you ever get the chance to do the fighting with takedowns, it's really, really fun. You should do it with people you're comfortable with, like, we may be knocking each other around, but no one is out to kill anyone else. It has to be a learning experience.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so its no longer BARE KNUCKLE FULL CONTACT but being pulled to the ground by your coach and then having sweet nothings whispered in your ear while he "puts it in"

KK

Style
    krav maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so its no longer BARE KNUCKLE FULL CONTACT but being pulled to the ground by your coach and then having sweet nothings whispered in your ear while he "puts it in"

KK
    Coach? This is martial arts, not soccer practice.

Yeah, okay, Mr. Knowitall.

I don't need to defend or explain anything, and it took me too long to realize that.

Style
    Korean Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need to defend or explain anything, and it took me too long to realize that.
    Actually on this site you will need to back up any claims you make with proof. We will not just take your (or anyone's) word for it. Especially a noob TKD'er.

Coach? This is martial arts, not soccer practice.
    You may call him master or whatever, but essentially he is a coach.

dont worry, ITF isnt much better
    I second this, and actually think that point stop light contact is worse in many ways than wtf.

Style
    krav maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Actually on this site you will need to back up any claims you make with proof. We will not just take your (or anyone's) word for it. Especially a noob TKD'er.

You may call him master or whatever, but essentially he is a coach.

I second this, and actually think that point stop light contact is worse in many ways than wtf.
    Proof? What do you want? Photos of my bruises and bloody noses?

He's so far from a coach...I don't need to go there though.

This site, while some topics are good for a laugh, seems to be full of the type of people I went to high school with, which is sad beyond anything else. The arrogance and ignorance here is ridiculous. How can you be a true martial artist and so snobbish?

There is no longer point stop sparring in ITF. And talk to some serious competitors -- contact isn't light if you're serious.

But once again, why does it matter? The point is it doesn't.

And you know what else? Instead of wasting my time with this forum, I'll put my effort into my training. I get more out of that. Maybe you all should do the same.

What a mistake.

Style
    Korean Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proof? What do you want? Photos of my bruises and bloody noses?
    No, Nobody has asked you for anything like that yet. I was merely responding to your self-righteous attitude about not having to explain anything to anyone. On this site, when you make claims that are out of the ordinary or otherwise give a rational person reason to doubt what you are saying, expect to be asked to explain and/or provide proof.

He's so far from a coach...I don't need to go there though.
    How is he so far from a coach? Do you call him master?

But once again, why does it matter? The point is it doesn't.

And you know what else? Instead of wasting my time with this forum, I'll put my effort into my training. I get more out of that. Maybe you all should do the same.

What a mistake.
    Try not to get so worked up when people question you. If what we have said to you on this thread really bothers you, then I would highly suggest lurking more before you jump to posting on the main forums. Search up some of the million threads about tkd so you can get an idea of the community.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, what a thin skinned ***** >_< would it help if i said i was just fucking with you? then again you seem like the kind of person i knew at high school who took **** way too seriously, hope the operation to remove the carrot from your ass is successful

Style
    Relson GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, Alex I thought you of all people would have said something.

"He's so far from a coach. I don't need to go there though."

Is he your friend and your lover too? Is he your mentor? Is he your soulmate? Looks like Alex was right in saying:
    "so its no longer BARE KNUCKLE FULL CONTACT but being pulled to the ground by your coach and then having sweet nothings whispered in your ear while he "puts it in"

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last