Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's get a grip guys.
    Tony Blauers' stuff is good, it's based on functionality. Ok, great.
    In the end Tony is just a human being like the rest of us. With his flaws just like everyone else. I think it's their RIGHT to bring up what they like and dislike about him and his system. Especially since by his own choice he is a "Coach" . This means that his teaching methods and personality do come into play and people have the right to criticize him for it. As long as they're not slandering him.
    I think there are alot of Tonys' students, fans and diciples that get offended when they see this criticism. I think it's pointless to a degree but people have the right to warn others of their experiences especially when they feel that his "ego" is detrimental to their learning and absorbing his material. As well as the over analytical side of it. Which is not useful and only serves one purpose, you guess what that is, take it as constructive criticism.
    Have I used Tonys material and the SPEAR system? Yes the de-escalation skills and SPEAR did come in useful, several times for the verbal skills and once for the SPEAR. (Back when I learned it, it was Spontaneous Protection Enabling Aggressive Response. I know he's changed it since then.)
    Is Tony a monster? No he's not. Is he an egomaniac? Depends how you look at it and your experience. I've found more inspirational and effective training elsewhere, but that doesn't negate the training I did with Blauer both in groups and personally.
    I think the worst thing is that the fear (False Evidence Appearing Real) that all the Blauer diciples feel when their "Coach" comes under fire and they feel forced to run to his defence, whether he sends them there or not, is kind of sad. The fragile egos of these people and their need for a superior "SIFU" "SENSEI" "GRAND MASTER" or whatever. The cult like mentality that comes with this is inspired only by fear. Tonys whole organization might improve in leaps and bounds if he discovered what it means to really "Care" about people and not purport to be the saviour of the martial arts community.
    I've seen several situations when Tonys dealings with people have been more about Fear and anger than anything else. Face it, not everyone is going to want the TRUTH especially in a world full of phonies and whackos like the martial arts. If you equate respect and self worth with performance then there will always be some idiot who thinks they can take you and then your system is crap, like the Gracies. What happened to their Ultimate System and being Undefeated in 65 years. This type of Hype although necessary in marketing is useless when it's for real. I guess in the end you have to decide what's really important, having integrity and self respect, or throwing all that aside to make money.
    Having said all this I do appreciate all that I've learned from Tony, but I also appreciate that he's a human being. People have the right to speak their mind and express their opinions and experiences. Especially if they were not so good and they have found more value elsewhere.
    Remember guys, just because someone teaches you something of value, it shouldn't mean you have to join their cult.

As for Blauer, he has his issues to work out, ultimately for his betterment if it costs him students and credibility in the long run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2007 2:03pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the ****?

Are you telling people to get a grip from 9 months ago?

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I am.

Posted On:
    5/29/2007 10:27am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the post. It added something to the discussion.
    Do you have any comment on Samuel Browning's questions?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 2:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Various

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! I LOVE this site, and I feel the over-whelming need to put my 2 cents in.

I'm not a black-belt, or anything like it. I've been studying martial arts on and off since I was 8. I'm 38 now. I gave up belt rank along time ago because, and I believe Mr. Blauer said it, "Your belt only matters if it matters to your opponent."

I've only been in a couple real fights. Fortunately I came out on top in all of them. Did my training help. Most likely. Even though I never threw but one kick and that was a side kick to create space because the dude was bigger than me and I didn't want to get hit.

Things happen in a fight way different than any traditional MA school teaches. Watch videos of these guys in a fight. They throw punches while trying to keep their heads as far away as possible. Face it. You are going to get hit. Keep your chin tucked and take the punch. Conditioning is what is going to help you most. That and your desire to survive.

I have studied several arts. Basically just learning what anyone is willing to teach me. I have several tapes, including Mr. Blauers. He and Paul Vunak are the best (and by that I mean most practical) I've seen.

What they've done is extensive testing on what works for the vast majority of people. We don't like physical confrontation by and large. And when the adrenaline dumps all those fancy moves go right out the window and you are left with the basics.

Now, if you want to learn MA for fitness, or discipline or the sake of learning an art, power to you. No shame in that. If you want to learn how to defend yourself you had better put on the gloves and go fight. It's as simple as that. If you don't practice hitting something/getting hit you are going to have a much harder time.

I've seen a lot of fights working bars in college. I have NEVER seen anyone get into a stance or throw someone from a wrist lock. I've seen wild haymakers and people getting slammed to the ground and pummeled, tackles and foot stomps. I've never seen any TKD, or HKD or any other kind of martial majic.

I tought a beginners class at a school in Indianapolis. I had one student, about 30ish, who came in because is ex-wife's boyfriend wanted to pummel him. Nice kid. Real mellow. Not agressive at all. I trained him personnally by constantly attacking him and beating him silly. Showed him stuff that I had learned from TB's BYOB tapes.

You know something. He eventually got jumped by the boyfriend at a gas station. The result? The bf ended up with a busted nose and a crushed knee cap. My student said he could never have reacted that way without the training methods (which I learned by simply watching the Blauer tapes.)

So, like Tony or not, his training methods work.

Sorry so long, I just get real passionate about this stuff. Hope I didn't hurt any feel bads.

Stambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 3:53pm

Style: Reality Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that some of Tony's stuff works, but it doesn't necessarily mean its the only and right answer. Personally, I think any BJJ guy on this board will eat him up if the SPEAR tactic thrown at them. I think Tony stuff will work for 'average' people and since most people are, then it will work.
    However, for those who are skilled, I think there should be a little more investigation and a little less jumping on the bandwagon because someone is in a magazine.
    There are many good tactical instructors out there. Try some of them out. Never get tide down or be close minded. Learn, Train and TEST as much as you can.
    Summary: He is a good speaker and gets his point across. I think Blauer's stuff should just be an addition to your arsenal and not just your main defense. Regardless, he is successful and I wish him well.

Posted On:
    3/10/2010 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stambo, the least effective argument in favor of a style/system is a string of anecdotes about watching other people fight, or hearing about fights that people who you know thru roommate's friend's sister-in-law/etc

just saying.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234