Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got the bug again. Sunday was my birthday and I decided to take some of my boys to the range. WE rented a Glock (23?) and a S&W .357 (a big hit). WE also had my buddies old vintage Enfield .303, which is pretty cool for a museum piece.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:50pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    I've got the bug again. Sunday was my birthday and I decided to take some of my boys to the range. WE rented a Glock (23?) and a S&W .357 (a big hit). WE also had my buddies old vintage Enfield .303, which is pretty cool for a museum piece.
    My father had an Enfield Jungle Carbine decades ago that he worked to perfection, even loaded his own ammo so he could shoot .303 not made for elephants, but it was stolen. That said, can you offer anything on the subject at hand?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 11:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 3.5# connector on a Glock doesn't bring the trigger to a 3.5# pull; the connector is only one component in the trigger group. It does lighten it, but it's still a Glock trigger. It WILL be mushy and spongy compared to many others.

The XD trigger won't compare to the single-action trigger on a tuned 1911, but then again, that costs money. A SIG P226 would have a smooth double-action, but it would be a long pull, and the SIG will transmit more recoil than the XD or Glock. The boreline is higher.

I would advise you to get an XD in your hands. You've fired the Glock and have an opinion of it. Now fire the XD (your frontrunner) and see what you think. Be objective; don't get your heart set on anything until you shoot it. I talked myself into a Glock 30 that way. The G30 is an excellent and reliable weapon but it was made for someone else's hands.
    But I digress. If you're like most people I think you'll find the XD fits you much better than the Glocks. If not, you'll have some deciding to do. They're both excellent pistols with similar manual of arms and capacity, so you're not going to go wrong. Don't forget to kick yourself for not buying one when they cost $200 out the door. :(

If you don't like the Taurus, forget about it. Life is too short and gun money too scarce to buy things you don't like.

CDNN and some others used to remove some mags, but I always thought they were doing it to resell the "hi-cap" mags back when full-capacity pre-ban magazines brought a premium. With the fall of the AWB (Huzzah!) that market is gone. Full-capacity mags cost the same for everybody now.
    You might want to check and see if they're still removing mags. It was a dirty trick then and it's a dirty trick now, but they may not be doing it anymore.

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 1:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Get a .....

I think your best bet for home defense situations will generally be a shotgun. If you are looking for something to be used in an apartment setting, a 3"12 gauge will give you all the potential you need; loaded with number 4 shot or smaller, it will probably not over-penetrate. Buckshot WILL.

Frangibles can be devastatingly effective, but they can also fail in spectacular fashion.

9mm is very prone to over-penetration (something my girlfriend is always complaining about ;-} ), so why not consider a .45? I think the consensus now is that .45 is a more effective "stopper" than a 9; even the military is overcoming the political considerations of the 9 and considering returning to .45 (although most spec-ops groups never really left the .45).

As for what brand? I'm very pleased with a Taurus .41 mag 'Tracker' revolver. It's tighter than any other revolver I own, including some VERY expensive Dan Wessons. For an autoloader, though, you can't buy a better gun than a Sig. The P-226 holds 15 in the magazine with an optional 20 round oversize mag. If money is a consideration, save up a little longer. Quality is always worth the extra money.

Oh yeah, opinion? Haven't shot the Taurus. Glock is realiable but doesn't feel right in my hand. I like the Springfield and it's a good quality piece. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but I would recommend you try the Sig; they're simply the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian

Due to recent events, I plan to buy this weapon in the next month or so. Ordered from least to most expensive, all fees included, here are the pistols I'm considering:
    1. Taurus 24/7 Pro 4" ($399)
    2. GLOCK 19 ($492.66)
    3. Springfield XD 4" w/Heine sights, 2006 package ($573.99)
    Some might say they're listed by increasing desirablity, the only one I've fired is the Glock. I don't like the trigger pull on the Glock, its roughness plays into the spasticity of my hands. My local shooting range only rents Glocks (if you want to rent a semi-auto in 9mm), but there's a range about 20 miles away that might rent a wider array of pistols. I plan to contact them soon.

I'm primarily looking for reasons not to get the Taurus, apart from its issue with jamming. I've got the story on the jams, and it seems I've got the fix too.

Other than that, I'd like to hear people's opinions of actually shooting each gun. Ergonomics, ease of aiming, and trigger characteristics are what I'm looking for at this point. Some time in the next couple of weeks I'm going to visit an epic gun shop to get my hands on the latter two guns, though I don't expect to buy them there.

Finally, I'd like to know what you folks think about frangible ammunition. I'm thinking of loading frangible rounds for home defense to avoid overpenetration. This will be a major concern in about a year when I move into an apartment. My primary interest is how well such ammo cycles in a semi-automatic. I've looked at the stuff from International Cartridge Corporation, but that's pretty much all the frangible I'm come across so far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 7:18am

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're liable to upset quite a few HK fans with talk like that lol. But seriously though. Sig and HK dominate the 'plastic-fantastic' realm of pistols in terms of quality. have a good LEATHER holster though for the Sig. The finish aint quite what it could be. The kydex and nylon ones OSI use for their military Sigs leaves them looking worn and dull very quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2006 6:46pm

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Don on this one. You really need to try out the XD. I used to own one (the 9mm with the 4 inch barrel). As far as accuracy is concerned, I have no complaints about the XD, but the trigger on my CZ85 is a lot crisper, which I believe contributes a great deal to the fact that I consistently shoot better with it. The trigger on the XD is all over the place, which led to some frustration at the range for me. If I were you, I'd add CZ to the list of guns to consider. I paid about the same for my CZ as I did for my XD, and I'm much much happier with it.

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might be getting down to the gun shop this week to feel out each weapon. Still no line on where I can rent them, haven't had a chance to call that range.

After pricing them all out the Beretta PX4 Storm comes in the cheapest (apart from the Taurus of course) at $460 ready to take home. I have to wait for money to come in before I buy, so I'm not going to rush out and buy before at least getting a grip on each choice. That said, are there any on this list that you would trust to buy having never fired?
    1. Beretta PX4 Storm
    2. GLOCK 19
    3. CZ 75/85
    4. Springfield XD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 10:12pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're all good quality, reliable guns. Pick the one that fits your hand comfortably and aims well.

And next time, get a real firearm, not a mouse-gun :qmickey:

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the way the CZ fits my hand, that's for sure. Great pistols. But since it wasn't on his list. . . .

SIG lives and dies on its metal-framed pistols. They've got those plastic-framed pieces (3040? Something like that) but I've never heard any speak highly of them.

HK makes high-quality guns, but again, you have to use what works for you. I had a full-size .45 USP, and it was a good gun except that it was just too damn big for me to use the controls comfortably. I traded it away.

Posted On:
    8/28/2006 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tellner
    They're all good quality, reliable guns. Pick the one that fits your hand comfortably and aims well.

And next time, get a real firearm, not a mouse-gun :qmickey:
    My startle reflex is actually more pronounced the worse the disturbance. .40, .45ACP, .44mag, and .454 Casull all bang too much for me. Judging by my reaction to 9mm, it's the biggest bang I can take and still function properly an instant later.

By the numbers I'd like to have a .40, but starting there (and getting worse the larger the caliber) the report of that actually freezes me up a little.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast