Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 5:48am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back surgery and rolling

Has anyone undergone spinal surgery ( eg laminectomy/(micro)discectomy/fusion/disc replacement) and successfully returned to or started BJJ/sub grappling?

I'd be interested in your experiences, particularly in relation to limitations on particular techniques and positions, how long before you started again etc.

This is regarding a patient of mine who is about 18 months post laminectomy/discectomy for L4/5 and interested in starting BJJ.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A patient of yours ? Are you nuts ?!!!!!

Are you a doctor ? Your a doctor right ?Hang on, we should be asking you these questions not the other way around. And what the hell are you doing with this thread anyway ?

If you don't know, how the **** are we supposed to know ?

If you are trained in medicine then why are you asking strangers on an internet forum about this sort of thing ?

Does your patient know that any diagnosis you give him comes from people on an internet website ? Because I'm sure the patient in question would like to know they placed their faith in a doctor only to find out he just surfs the net and gives the advice he got from people he does not know.

I want the address of your practice. Your in Sydney and I wish to report this. And if I find out your the asshole who runs the Chinese Medicine place just up the road, there's gonna be trouble.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal

Probably because a large number of people on here are involved in the BJJ or other grappling arts and are probably more likely to have encountered people who have had spinal surgery and can give first hand accounts of people having had spinal surgery and their results with returning to BJJ.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 5:28pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal, I'm a physio.

I'm not asking for advice or opinions, I'm asking for direct experiences. Somebody asked me a question about this and I'm seeking as much information as I can. This person has returned to rock climbing, competetive triathalons and works in the fitness industry so has been rehabilitated to a very high level.

This is not the only source of information I'm seeking but it's a useful resource to have so many grapplers here and it's useful to know people's experiences, particularly as it's something I haven't encountered before. I certainly wouldn't base my advice to someone solely on what I was told on an internet forum.

And lastly, if you've got nothing to do with this thread, go away. I haven't got time to sift through the acres of flaming you usually attract.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You live in the Eastern suburbs don't you ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 9:39pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    A patient of yours ? Are you nuts ?!!!!!

Are you a doctor ? Your a doctor right ?Hang on, we should be asking you these questions not the other way around. And what the hell are you doing with this thread anyway ?

If you are trained in medicine then why are you asking strangers on an internet forum about this sort of thing ?

Does your patient know that any diagnosis you give him comes from people on an internet website ? Because I'm sure the patient in question would like to know they placed their faith in a doctor only to find out he just surfs the net and gives the advice he got from people he does not know.

I want the address of your practice. Your in Sydney and I wish to report this. And if I find out your the asshole who runs the Chinese Medicine place just up the road, there's gonna be trouble.
    Or.

Wait.

I know.

The doctor (who never claimed to be one, and isn't)
    doesn't DO BRAZILIAN JU-JITSU SO HAS NO FRAME OF REFERENCE.

According to his style field he does Kung Fu.

He is merely asking the many BJJers on this site if they have any experience with back surgery and their recovery, as well as the fitness and stress level that takes place while rolling.

To add to his current knowledge to make a judgement on whether or not this man should try BJJ.

This isn't my personal experience but where I take Ju-Jitsu we had a guy in who had a back injury that required surgery (not sure what kind).
    He took Kung Fu for a while and slowly, very slowly he recovered.

He recently did some rolling, but didn't like it. However he didn't have any physical problems with it, and he's like 46.