Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 1:57am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much protein?

Just the other day i took two scoops of "iso gold" which is a total of 70 grams of protein, so i though i wouldnt have to take any more protein that day. Today i was told by a friend that the body can only intake 40 grams of protein at once. Does anyone know if this is true or not, or does it depend on the persons body.

ps. Iso Gold has the most protein in one scoop (35 grams) but theres a catch, its scoop size is twice as large as most other brand's scoops including iso flex's which is 27 grams. And to make iso gold seem even worse, it tastes like crap. A word to the wise, iso flex is the way to go!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get Optimum something or other. Tastes good, and like 20g per scoop.

Yeah, the body can only take in so much protein at a time. But nobody ever says what "at a time" means. What if I take half an hour to eat? What if I take an hour to eat?

But generally, it's better to eat smaller portions more often.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PL is right. Split up your intake through the day. I'd probably go for 1 in the morning, 1 after training and 1 before bed. You can take em with water or milk.

The amount of protein you can absorb in one go depends on the amount of time it spends in your small intestine, so it varies.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Several factors to consider what taking protein...

1) What is your current or expected activity level? Work out (whether lifting or rolling) at moderate intensity two or three times a week? Or do you work out hardcore 5+ times a week?

2) What are your goals? Building muscle mass?

3) What is your current weight age?

Generally the rule of thumb seems to be about 1.5g protein per kilogram of bodyweight. Elite level athletes might consume 2-2.5g.

There isn't an exact science with this that I've seen anyone produce...I know there are some who advocate up to 2.2g per kg of bodyweight if you are trying to increase muscle mass.

You'd be surprised at how much protein you can intake through natural food...chicken, turkey, etc.

Example: At the moment I am cutting off my final 10 pounds of weight to slim down to 220. I work out 5x per week with 2 days of pretty serious cardio. I also strike and crapple 2-3 times per week.

On an average day I ingest 350g - 420g of protein through shakes and regular food.

***PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BODY*** Everyone reacts differently to supplements...you may need more or less to reach your goals.

Please note I am not a professional nor pretend to be. I only know what has worked for me as both an ex-college athlete and as someone who has spent the last two years getting in shape after two injuries in a row and have dropped 50 pounds. Take my advice for what it is worth.

GG
    Last edited by Gringo Grande; 8/22/2006 11:44am at . Reason: meant kg not pound
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.5g per KILOGRAM weight. 1.5g/lb is overkill. When I was 140lbs (~65kg) I'd take like 120g of protein per day MAX. Usually around 90. But I still gained weight up to 170lbs.

You also need to make sure you get enough calories. If your muscles don't have enough fuel, they won't survive, either.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant KG...thanks for catching that PL.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).