Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 6:02pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side kick or roundhouse makes relatively little difference compared to Step Two...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was talking about side kicks but it doesnt make much difference for either, catching head high kicks is a good way to get your brains falling out your eyes

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 12:24am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I think most of you missed the part where he's talking about a side kick, not a round kick.
    Good call! I fail reading is FUNdamental.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan
    I was wondering what experiences/advice people have had when attempting kick-catching techniques. At my school we do lei tei type sparring, but with ground fighting/grappling also. When I'm sparring, my opponents usually throw roundhouses to the leg; we generally train in staying away from throwing high kicks because of increased risk of a take down.

Anyway my question is:
    If an opponent does throw a roundhouse to the body, I can see how a person could step in and catch it and do a takedown. But, what would someone do for a high side kick in terms of catching/sweeping the base leg?
    sure there are a lot of different things you can do and sometimes its just best to slip it, move, counter some other way, but if you are specifically looking for technique for catching the high sidekick there is a reliable method that we use in sanshou/sanda. this is a way to catch it w/o shifting off line. your rear hand, which should be up guarding at the side of your head, springs forward to meet the kick with the meaty part of your palm &/or fore-arm along your centerline, approx a 45% +/- angle forward to provide room for springy absorbtion, elbow and forarm in front of you to protect torso, and you don't want to be upright but crowched forward turtled stance, upon impact w/ your hand/forearm your lead hand scoops under to trap/grab the foot as your rear catching hand rotates forward to trap it. note that your 1st goal is to stop it from hitting you in the grill, your 2nd goal is to catch it, so don't jump right into a catch before you stopped the forward impact. if you miss the catch no big deal as long as you safely stopped the kick. you need to shoot your rear guard hand fwd aggressively to neutralize the impact, shuffling forwrd to cut the kick off helps with this too but it can be done w/o moving if you get caught and just need a stop, or while shuffling back but thats not ideal. once youve caught the kick, your rear hand is clamped over the top and lead hand is horzontally cradling the kick, your wrists and hands can clamp like clamshells around the foot. from here there are a variety of different sweeps and throws you can do, as simple as lift and push shuffling forward, or some require transitioning leg to one hand or the other while you shift to one side or the other of the leg and shoot inside, or go for leg lock or whatever your trying to do depending on situation. you need to practice the timing and hand movement for the catch a lot, and with this comes some conditioning of your arms with impact, but once you get it down it is reliable and high percentage even against hard kicks and requires less energy and movement then shuffling offline...although sometimes moving is the best course of action, all depends the many variables.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 3:47pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arbiter's advice rings true.

I know because he taught me a lesson in humility with kick catching... and everything else...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows smacking legs > high kicks

If the kick is week enough that you can catch then you can just ignore it and smash your pointy elbow into their foot or shin,

Works real well

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 7:23pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can only catch weak kicks then the entire point of training kick catching was wasted.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Elbows smacking legs > high kicks

If the kick is week enough that you can catch then you can just ignore it and smash your pointy elbow into their foot or shin,

Works real well

being able to catch a kick does not necessitate it's being weak. At all. Plus, catching someone's kick and knocking them the **** out is better than doing a contest of elbow vs shin (which really is not going to do anything to someone's shin).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 7:55pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your opponent likes to use the foot then maybe the elbow will work.
    I like arbiter's advice. We practised that in class once, i didn't really get the hang of it but it works. Just takes a bit of practise.
    Last edited by Shard; 8/23/2006 7:58pm at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 12:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with attempting to catch a kick is that if you fail you are in a more vulnerable position.

I would rather keep my arms in tight to my body than expose my rib cage in any way.

I used to believe in kick catching until I started doing a little Muay Thai work and was being knocked a couple feet either way while holding a big kicking pad for someone.

I am 208 and 6 "1 so I am not small. I would rather not risk taking that kick in the ribs.

I have seen people break their foot from a well placed elbow. It can be delivered while keeping your arms in tight so as to protect yourself.

Not saying that kick catching can't work just that I don't like the risk vs reward ratio.

It's like trying to do a wrist grab/ throw from a punch, possible but not always optimal.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast