Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 3:33pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Far as I'm aware. Kumdo is samething as Yudo.

Yudo = Judo

Kumdo = Kendo

Just korean names for techniques. Der or Miguk can address it in more details.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG
    The kumdo that most Koreans practice is the same as kendo, with Korean terms instead of Japanese and simplified uniforms & etiquette. The rules are the same, the umbrella organisation is the same.
    The Korean kumdo is under the Japanese kendo umbrella organization?

--J.D.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 5:44pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are 3 big "kumdo" organisations in Korea. Korea Kumdo Association is the mainstream one, and that is the one that is under the IKF, the same umbrella organisation under which the All-Japan Kendo Federation exists. Korea Kumdo Federation is another one promoting what we would think of as kendo, but they have an agenda to put it into the Olympics. Finally there is the World Haedong Kumdo Federation, and they are basically unrelated to mainstream kendo.

So when I talk about Koreans at worlds, they would be representing KKA as IKF puts on the world championships.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.

Do they use the same terminology, rank, and all of that?

--J.D.

Posted On:
    8/22/2006 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, as I said before they use Korean terms for everything. But the ranking system is the same, and the points are the same.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kumdo History

According to the Muye Dobo Tongji ("The Comprehensive Illustrated Manual of Martial Arts of Ancient Korea,") Japanese style swordsmanship (called Wae Gum to distinguish from other styles of sword and technique) was a small subset of the overall swordsmanship styles.

The manual itself was written and expanded from 1608 to 1800 ish. In this time period, Korea was invaded by the Manchus twice, and earlier in 1598 by the Japanese.

The manual states that where there are conflicting techniques for the same weapon, preference was given in this order: first Chinese, then Korean, lastly Japanese.

I shall not attempt to explain the "history" of the samurang; I fear even thinking about them could cause a rage-based brain embolism.

My own gut: The Korean Kumdo is Japanese kendo, with slightly different seasoning on the dish. The martial arts often involve nationalistic sentiments, for good or ill. Koreans, having just gotten done being owned by Japan, were in no mood to admit that many of their martial arts are heavily influenced by Japanese styles. They probably also were not too keen on submitting control of their organizations to Japanese governing bodies.

Totally understandable, but too many dojangs play fast and loose with their historical accuracy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2006 4:22pm

Style: Taekwondo, Kumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG
    Hae dong kumdo was invented in the 50s by a couple of Koreans. It's a mixup of the stuff they learned at the time plus some recreation from old documents. They were taken to court and forced to admit that the 2000 year old history they claimed was made up, obviously for marketing reasons.
    Hi Neil,

do you know of any records about this? Especially about the court trial?

Thanks,

BB.

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't find a direct reference. There's a wiki entry, of course it's just wiki. All of the official federation sites linked from the wiki spout the Samurang nonsense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2006 4:50pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen different kata from kumdo people, and some people fight differently with lots of rapid techniques (like hitting the men target think the head, 3-5 times in rapid succession).

The local kumdo dojo's grading criteria is apparently much more difficult, and the exams signifiganty longer than a typical kendo exam, but I am not sure if they are part of the AUSKF.

http://www.kumdo.com/ushwarangkwan/

We have a large korean community in the area, so perhaps they are doing their own thing.

It is more than similar enough that kumdo and kendo practicioners can practice together and enter the same tournaments. We had a couple guys with kumdo backgrounds at various kendo schools i was a member of.

Posted On:
    10/05/2006 8:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kumdo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's not part of the AUSKF, but it's part of the KKA. Kumdo dojangs in America typically don't affiliate with AUSKF for political reasons. Instead, they'd rather be affiliated through kumdo bodies including the KKA, the main one in Korea. One or two have dual membership in KKA and AUSKF, but those are exceptions. Since, KKA is a member of the IKF, people who are graded through the KKA typically have their dan ranks accepted by other IKF affiliates including the AUSKF, another IKF member.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast