Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 12:14am

Style: Kukki-Taekwondo, Yudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Korean Kumdo

What is Korean about KUmdo, or is it an exact copy of Kendo? Is Kumdo now a Korean art or an exact copy of Kendo?

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 12:44am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, here's what I get from Wikipedia:Kumdo is spelled in Kanji the same as Kendo, just Korean pronunciation is different. It was introduced to Korea by Jap military during Korea's control where it was practiced as Kendo until 1945, where it began diverging. Basically it is kendo without the squat bow.

According to www.kumdo.com it is an ancient style originating with Korean warriors during a period of turmoil and formed by the soldiers of the Palhae country called Koguryo (like samurai?) and was written in ancient texts that predate Japanese or Chinese influence. They claim the only reason for any similarities is lightweight bogu were cheaper and easier and safer than current training equipment and the like.

The latter is mostly crap because even in their own photo section clear use of Katana in traditional samurai positions and other obvious Japanese themes and references prevailed. Kumdo = Korean Kendo in Denial.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 12:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sort of like TKD = Shotokan in denial.

:la:

--J.D.

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:56am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

come on, it's only 5 more letters...

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Okay, here's what I get from Wikipedia:Kumdo is spelled in Kanji the same as Kendo, just Korean pronunciation is different. It was introduced to Korea by Japanese military during Korea's control where it was practiced as Kendo until 1945, where it began diverging. Basically it is kendo .

.................................................. ...............
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 3:23pm

Style: Kukki-Taekwondo, Yudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kumdo was heavily influenced by Kendo. There's no denying that. But it seems like Kumdo is a Korean art, depsite its influences. Also, Kumdo has traditional Korean swordsmanship included in it such as the Josun Sebop and Bon **** Gum Bup. I believe there are some stylistic diff. between kendo and kumdo as well.

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 6:02pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    .................................................. ...............
    o.o What did I say?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 11:09pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Sort of like TKD = Shotokan in denial.

:la:

--J.D.
    Doctor X said it best. There are many similarities between the techniques in Kumdo and Kendo but it seems to me that there is a little more flair and performance put into the Kumdo forms. I also know that in Kumdo (HaeDong Kumdo that is) they do a lot of sparring with a short single hand shinai as opposed to the full sized two handed shinai.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 1:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, what someone does with a practice is their business. I understand the Korean reticence/hostility to accepting a Japanese origin--especially among the older crowd--but they can also simply say that they are doing it better now.

Beat a few kendo practitioners and feel good about yourself.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 1:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my friend goes to a kumdo school and the 7th dan blackbelt there says kumdo is the same thing as kendo except they added one or two things, and don't do as much bowing.

This is the one who puts the korean history on his website because of pressure by the korean organization he belongs to... but even he admits that its a japanese, not korean art.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 11:01am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kumdo that most Koreans practice is the same as kendo, with Korean terms instead of Japanese and simplified uniforms & etiquette. The rules are the same, the umbrella organisation is the same. The Koreans are very strong competitors and train harder than anyone. It's only a matter of time before they win the worlds. The irony is that for most Japanese kendoka, worlds are almost off the radar. They are probably a half-dozen or more tournaments in Japan that are more important (to the Japanese) and where the general kendo level is higher.

Hae dong kumdo was invented in the 50s by a couple of Koreans. It's a mixup of the stuff they learned at the time plus some recreation from old documents. They were taken to court and forced to admit that the 2000 year old history they claimed was made up, obviously for marketing reasons. Today HDK looks to me like a sort of Korean-Japanese wushu, all flash and gymnastic, not much martial value behind the performance. Some of their practisioners are very talented and impressive performers, but what they do isn't sword fighting, more dancing.

There are supposedly a few people actually trying to practice the old Korean stuff, but it is all recreated from very sparse documentation. There is no direct lineage like the Japanese koryu.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast