Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 10:32pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    socks? tee-hehehe...

anyways, perhaps samurai steve has it right with the sleep thing.

When i started bjj which isnt too long ago actually, it was rough on the knee. And i was going 4 times a week also.

But i was also sleeping like a cat. Maybe its the sleep. I also mostly focused on the bottom game, so that i could avoid being on my knees. That being said, i was pretty much suffering from the beginning, because having heavy weight sitting on top of me was definitely difficult. And for the longest time, the inside of my chest of all place was pretty stiff. But at least i didnt have to worry about my knee too much.

And I also ate and drank like a pig, though not junk food.

Now, after a couple of month, the pain is all gone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 9:35pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies - sorry I took so long to get back to the thread, I was out of town and didnt manage to get on the net.

I've bought a bottle of zinc + magnesium tablets to cover that base, and I'm still looking into knee braces. I've bought vaseline also, and I'll get some hydrogen peroxide soon. It's true that I havnt been getting enough sleep - a month sleeping on the floor until very recently, and generally late nights have been a problem.

As to some of the other questions - I'm 25, my diet is around 3300 calories per day semi-clean, heh. To the squats and milk guy - I drink 2 litres of calci-plus milk per day (5.8g protein per 100mls, total of 116g protein, cheap too!), but I tend to focus more on deadlifts.

I'm aiming for a schedule that involves lifting twice, one 2 hr boxing session, and three 2 hr BJJ sessions/week, but I havnt managed to follow that very well so far (between the flu, a nasty ankle injury, travel, bleeding knees/feet, and schoolwork over the past 2 months). With my rate of healing thus far, I was worried I'd never be able to settle into this schedule. It's a relief to hear that adaptation will come in time. Thanks a ton for all the suggestions :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 11:45pm

Style: Sub. grappling/kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certain things will also mess up your immune system and increase your healing time, like smoking and having bad nutrition. Hopefully you're not doing that stuff. Are you sure you're getting enough iron in your diet? If not, you'll tend to bleed more. Try eating green leafy food. For bruises, I like the heating pad. I find using a heating pad for a half hour to an hour or longer at night will first cause an ugly, blackish bruise to turn reddish for a while, but then by the next morning, it'll fade to yellow. For small cuts, I generally find Neosporin works well enough. Good luck.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 2:20am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think what you need is a healthy dose of man the **** up followed by a course of stop being a whiny *****.

i can sympathise with the feet thing though, the worst thing about coming back to muay thai training after a few weeks off or a few weeks just boxing is the big chunks of skin hanging off the balls of your feet from grinding your foot into the ground :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 4:58am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    i think what you need is a healthy dose of man the **** up followed by a course of stop being a whiny *****.
    That's all very well and good, but it's not simply a matter of my own fortitude. If I keep bleeding on people's gi's and clothes and the mat, not only is it unhygienic, it's eventually going to annoy my training partners.

I taped myself up pretty well tonight, but I still managed to bleed from the foot due to mat burn, nicely bloodying up a new guy's t-shirt :)

To the previous poster - I dont smoke, and I think my diet is ok (plenty of protein, not too much bad fat, avoid white bread etc), though admittedly it doesnt include a lot of leafy greens.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 6:07am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then you need to start training with REAL fighters! who don't mind- nay, they RELISH blood on their clothes!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 11:12am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to Mr. Miyagi. He'll hook you up with some good ****.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex

i can sympathise with the feet thing though, the worst thing about coming back to muay thai training after a few weeks off or a few weeks just boxing is the big chunks of skin hanging off the balls of your feet from grinding your foot into the ground :/
    Man, when I was training in Thailand my feet were in a real sorry state after just a week. Ended up with endless amounts of tape around the balls and toes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 4:22pm

Style: Sub. grappling/kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds to me like you could have an iron deficiency. If you don't eat green leafy vegitables much, find a good iron suppliment and take it with milk or fortified orange juice to help it absorb. Additionally, are you taking a lot of ibuprofin (or any over-the-counter pain medicine containing it) for the pain? If taken too frequently, that can thin the blood and cause extra bleeding. If you are sore, try to stick to topical remedies, like ice, heating pad, warm bath, or ben-gay, rather than popping pain pills. If you cut out the ibuprofin, ease up on your training to give yourself some time to heal, take more vitamins, and your problem STILL doesn't improve (you still feel your bleeding is really excessive) then you should probably see your doctor, because it could be a sign of a more serious problem. Good luck.

Posted On:
    9/04/2006 6:48am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tea tree oil? Doesn't that cause breast growth in young boys? :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070300769.html

Trying to make your dream of having powder soft hands come true?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast