Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 6:16pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How can I heal faster?

Hi

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at the time it takes to heal, particularly in terms of cuts, chaffes, and other skin injuries incurred during BJJ. It frustrates the hell out of me that I cant train as often as I want to because of this.

A full week ago I had a great session at BJJ, it kicked arse, and I left class thinking I'd merely rubbed my knees and the tops of my feet a bit raw. Today I'm sitting here bleeding from the knee again, because the damn thing wont heal, and the top of my left foot looks like a pus oozing open wound. I've still got massive bruises, though those dont bother me. What does bother me is that other guys go just as hard and have no trouble training multiple times per week, and they're neither bleeding all over the mat (as I have a couple of times now) nor are they covered in bandages all the time. I've used bandages, I've given the areas air. I cant think of anything else.

I'm going to look into finding some sort of knee guard things, and as much as it'll no doubt elicit laughs, I'm going to start wearing socks while training. But even then, it wont solve the problem entirely - friction from fabric rubbing against my face last session managed to scrape my skin enough that I've still got a big scabbed up section by my right eye.

Is this simply a matter of adaptation? Can your body learn to heal faster? Or is there some secret to treating injuries like this that will help them heal faster? Are there particular foods with magical healing properties? Or will I forever be limited by my soft, delicate skin?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SQUATS AND MILK!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 9:18pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.scubaboard.com/archive/in...p/t-13344.html

I'd advocate neosporin, though alcohol/peroxide is supposed to help as well.

Sounds like you need to build up some caluses?

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    SQUATS AND MILK!!!!
    LMAO!

Diomedes,

How old are you? How's your diet? Disregard that question. What, in what quantity, and when do you eat? How often do you train? What is your sleep schedule?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 10:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need a mutant healing factor
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teatree oil my friend....it's like magic healing potion given to us by the elves....
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 12:44pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I used to train in jujutsu daily, I ended up with holes in my elbows, knees, hands, face, etc that would re-open pretty much every day. My solution was to cover up the areas that were getting torn up- knee guards, elbow guards, wrestling shoes, gloves, etc.

(that might sound like excessive protective equipment, but we were training on short-pile office carpeting, not any sort of pads. Rugburn was kind of a problem.)

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any time you break your skin you want to disinfect with Hydrogen Peroxide which will kill the bacteria, And then you will want to bandage it with some sort of antibiotic ointment. I prefer the "tripple antibiotic with pain killer". If your going to go on the mat, I would recommend sports tape Like This. Some places on your feet and knees are going to be difficult to tape though. Make sure to remove the bandages when you shower and replace them with clean ones.

If your feet are really bad I would suggest investing in a pair of wrestling shoes. You are going to need some time because spraining your toes is inevitable. I usually only wear mine when I have some sort of foot injury.

For your knees, taping them can be a major bitch... so I would recommend using a brace such as this one to cover the bandages.

The good news is... This predicament you are in is only a problem when you're new. If you keep wrestling consistently you will grow thicker skin over the next few months.
    Last edited by BSDaemon; 8/20/2006 1:14pm at .

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 1:31pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vaseline.

When I started out in Judo and Jiu Jitsu I had problems with mat burn and my knees getting buggered up all the time. When something got burnt I slapped a little Vaseline on it and put it preventatively on spots I knew were going to be on the receiving end of a burn and with a few weeks the skin got thicker and I had no more problems.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 9:35pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitamin C is a basic ingredient of collagen, which helps to heal wounds and make connective tissue. I doubt you have a deficiency in it, but if you did, it could explain why you don't heal quickly enough.

Basic recommendations - eat good food, take good vitamins, get plenty of rest (actually get 8 hours average), treat your wounds immediately, and do what you can to prevent them and say "F you" to people who give you **** over them. I'd still roll with a mouthguard and cup if/when I get back to training.

Over time, you're going to toughen up and not get nearly as hurt or marked up. For example, if you train on thin carpet in bare feet, your feet will get chewed up while you pivot to throw kicks and stuff, but eventually, you'll get thick calluses.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast