Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello, Fellow Students

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I go by Jack. It's an amazing coincidence. I've had a little experience in Wushu, dabbled a bit in Wing-Chun, done most of my training in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu and Shodokan Karate. I'm open to all styles, and realize that none of them are perfect. The primary style I practice is called Dai Kazokushin Ryu and was a hybrid invented by my old sensei. I am by no means an expert of this style, but understand it's fundamentals and basic concepts.

When in a fight (almost always a practice session or class, or just messing around with friends) I usually do whatever feels natural or fitting to the situation within the reflex techniques I have developed, and hopefully aided by the ones I can't always remember in a heartbeat. This isn't necissarily ideal for my primary art, but it's the best I can do with my skill level. Keep safe, be smart.

-Jack O'Neill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site. Please describe the style you practiced and what styles it took its elements from, to save you from getting the Flames of Doom later on from people who see yet another one-school -Ryu style.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."
    Style
    Out-Of-Shape MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Dai Kazokushin Ryu or Dai Kazokushin get ANYTHING from google, so now my interest is peaked.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill
    Just thought I'd introduce myself. I go by Jack. It's an amazing coincidence.
    -Jack O'Neill
    It is AMAZING !!! I have a bunny named Mr .Jack Rabbit Me'Hoff . What a small world no ?

Anyways welcome to Bullshido could you please tell us all more about Dai Kazokushin ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure. It's primarily founded in Danzan Ryu Jujitsu founded by Henry Okazaki in the 1920's, mixed with Shodokan Karate and additional elements from Judo, Aikido, and Aikijitsu. These elements are usually manifested through variations on techniques.

Unlike traditional Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, Dai Kazokushin Ryu teaches additional lists which are usually omitted or only taught to women or special groups. The Shodokan Karate elements generally take the place of traditional Jujitsu strikes and blocks unless a specific technique calls for them. The related katas are also a normal practice.

That's the best description I can give from an editorial perspective. Here's the down to earth first-hand that I got. When I joined my sensei's dojo, it was pure Danzan Ryu. He was still developing and finishing registration ( I have no idea how that works, but that's what he told us as I remember) for his own independant style. He made sure to include a full Danzan Ryu curriculum in his classes even after it officially became Dai Kazokushin Ryu, so we could have equal recognition among other Danzan Ryu schools.

The changes I noticed were the introductiona nd regular practice of Shodokan Karate techniques, and our number of regularly practiced lists about tripled. We went from having one Yawara list to 3, and added Goshin. We added more Shime and Nage lists, though I wasn't familiar enough with them to know how many.

Ultimately I think my sensei's system is a good one for the casual learner. We met once a week for two hours, and he would teach anyone. He wanted to make sure we learned a mixture of diverse styles that worked well together, but also kept within the regulations of the Danzan Ryu community so as to be able to participate with them. it was really cool to go to conventions and camps and know variations and techniques that our peers had never heard of or hadn't learned yet, but were higher in 'rank' than we were.

No art is perfect, but I really got a good variety of skills from Dai Kazokushin Ryu and would recommend it to anyone.

Style
    Jujitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time to use my intro post as a rant post, because there's no need to start another thread for this.

I just watched the final fight from Bloodsport on youtube. I hadn't seen it for several years during which I was exposed to jujitsu and bullshido.com and learned lots of useful truths about fighting and the like. I now have to say that the fight I watched was absurd. I was laughing out loud at the very idea that any fight could even look like that, much less T3h KuM173! Then I watched the trailer and another clip of Fight Science. That was worth about as much as a happy meal toy.

Now I'm thinking about things I've read, watched, pondered, tried out and everything to do with physical fitness, matrial arts and fighting in general over my lifetime. I have always been against misinformation of any kind, but it's specifically nasty to teach so called self-defense that will only endanger people.

I used to want a katana and some of that cool samurai armor. Now I just want a P90 and some durable clothes with a nice sharp knife in my pocket. I'm anxious to be able to afford regular attendance at the straight blast near where I work. That's my thoughts for 5 minutes,

-O'Neill

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, bloodsport is like the bible for any self respecting stand up fighter. whenever i am in doubt i turn to it for guidance. take its name in vain at your own risk