Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there's anything wrong with working half-guard exclusively. Throughout their BJJ journey, most people will change their preferences for certain techniques. At some point you will start working other forms of guard simply because people will be shutting down your 1/2 guard game, and you'll need to switch to butterfly or spider or closed guard. At present I work on pulling half-guard, getting an overhook and switching to butterfly guard to complete my sweep and it's working brilliantly.

I certainly wouldn't worry about not doing submissions from guard. I don't think there's anything wrong with just sweeping people and finishing them from on top. As I said, you will eventually work them in anyway - it wasn't until brown belt when I started doing x-lapel choke from guard (effectively at least).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 8:15am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Ya know it's funny, but when using the lockdown (from Bravo's book) I've been able to make some people tap by extending their leg outwards while stretching the calf muscle and putting pressure on the ankle. It's not reliable in the least, but it's a good way to take away their base before sweeping and if you get a lucky submission out of it, then hey :)
    stop crappling with retards

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 9:01am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't even try to pass half guard in an MMA scenario. Some people find that weird, but I can do all the damage I need to, lockdown or not.

I recently rolled with a Megaton BB, and I was able to pretty much stuff his sub-game completely with punches from half-guard. In MMA, half guard is something you work through quickly or get knocked out.

On the other hand, we have a guy (jobe Duran) whose half-guard sub-game is superlative. In pure grappling I don't see why it isn't a viable positon like any other if you are comfortable with it and know what you are doing.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 9:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Ya know it's funny, but when using the lockdown (from Bravo's book) I've been able to make some people tap by extending their leg outwards while stretching the calf muscle and putting pressure on the ankle. It's not reliable in the least, but it's a good way to take away their base before sweeping and if you get a lucky submission out of it, then hey :)
    I fucking hate that. My primary training partner has huge fucking legs and his lockdown hurts like a son-of-a-bitch if you sleep on it and don't reposition. While guys with skinnier legs it doesn't hurt so much.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjelva
    stop crappling with retards
    Taps are rare but if you get it just right you can use what at my school we call lockdown (I assume it is the same as the eddie bravo lockdown) to calf splice. In particular if you keep the lock and roll over you can get teh calf splice.
    I'm notorious for leaving people's right legs bruised to hell. :XXbirdman

To the OP, as mentioned, I guess it depends on why you're grappling. For grappling or mma. That said, if you get your opponent on the side of your body opposite from the locked up leg (like when you're taking their back) it seems like you'd be able to prevent taking much damage.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strictly speaking BJJ...

Guard = an overwhelming advantage to the guy on bottom.
    Half Guard = a slight advantage to the guy on top.

If I am reading this correctly, why would anyone voluntarily choose half guard if they could throw full guard?

My guard submissions are crap...and my sweeps are not much better...but still, there is nothing like guard to help take control and slow them down to my speed. :happy2:

The only advantage that I can see is if you think there is no way you can stop them from passing...so you avoid the guard just to avoid their passing for points...but that would be silly.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 12:32pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advantages in guard position depen wholy on what skill level each player has from each position. Against one guy at my school, I NEVER pass to half guard from guard, because his half guard game is amazing (for a blue belt).
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 12:33pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    I don't think there's anything wrong with working half-guard exclusively. Throughout their BJJ journey, most people will change their preferences for certain techniques. At some point you will start working other forms of guard simply because people will be shutting down your 1/2 guard game, and you'll need to switch to butterfly or spider or closed guard. At present I work on pulling half-guard, getting an overhook and switching to butterfly guard to complete my sweep and it's working brilliantly.

I certainly wouldn't worry about not doing submissions from guard. I don't think there's anything wrong with just sweeping people and finishing them from on top. As I said, you will eventually work them in anyway - it wasn't until brown belt when I started doing x-lapel choke from guard (effectively at least).
    Thanks. I love when you chime in.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy on bottom can...attempt any of various sweeps, for points, and submit with any of various chokes and joint locks, for the win. Think of all the possibilities.

Guy in guard...can...hmmm...try to pass for points...yep ...that is about it.

I understand that it isn't a guarantee. Like I said, my guard blows. But if you had to choose between having tons of options and no options...that is an overwhelming advantage.

Oh, and I know you can Ezekiel somebody while in their guard but if they have equal skill...you shouldn't be able to pull that **** on them.
    I do love doing that to people who don't know better though. tee hee.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I certainly don't believe there is an overwhelming advantage to the person with the guard by any means. It's dependent on the skills and preferences of the persons involved.

I feel very comfortable in the guard and with passing and would much rather be on top. Guard really should just be the position you use when you end up underneath your opponent - not your choice position, and that's whether it's grappling, MMA or self-defence. I don't see any advantage to being underneath over being on top and would love to hear some.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast