Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been training for lots of reasons over the years. first I wanted to learn how fight better. Then it was to achive rank. Then it was to keep in shape. Then it was in case soem big strong guy came looking for me. Now I just love to train and since I teach I must continue.

What motivates you ? Do you find new ways to keep motivated ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 1:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boyfriend motivates me. He is the instructor, so I push myself to try and be the best. And plus Master Sensei is really nice. I figure, I better give it my best to show them I really care. plus it is fun, I enjoy fun things!

Dark Days, Bright Nights

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me it's simple, my life is better when I do martial arts. It's something that I seem to be pretty good at and have a geniune interest in. Also there is always room for improvement.

Being laid up with my neck injury (car accident, I'm okay but have a couple months of physical therapy before I can resume serious training for those of you who don't know the story) has really show me how big a part of my life MA really is and how much I miss it. At this point I can do some katas and some light back work and stuff, and even that is stiffling.

I also enjoy the mental aspect, coming up with and test new ideas, theories, and strategies. In that way this forum serves to motivate me. Even if my body cannot train, there is no reason my mind can't.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need to motivate myself, in fact I have to motivate myself to take breaks (for school or work or whatever). Its in my blood. every time I quit MA for awhile, I just start dreaming about it, itching for it. My temper gets quicker and my stress levels increase. As soon as I go back I feel human again. I honestly can't envision life without martial arts.

MTChick: Did you start training at that school because your boyfriend teaches there or did you start training there and then date your instructor?

---------
    Shut up and train

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit, I agree with FK on this one...I find myself itching to get back at a bag or onto the mats after a while away.

At the same time, motivation does tend to ebb and flow...but it's more of a general tendency in my life. When I feel like THE MAN and everything is going right (career, dating, etc.) then you can't stop me from training...I'll work gangbusters, then go train for 3-4 hours, then meet up with a gf, have a great time out for late dinner/drinks and then f-...uhh...nevermind. You get the picture.

But when things suck, they SUCK, and not in a good way. I become crabby and irritable, listless in many ways, relationships suffer (or disappear completely, as was the most recent case, although there were other issues there)...training becomes more of a chore, but it's still something I do consistently. The big problem at this point is that I become aggressive and perhaps a little dangerous at times. We're not talking about crippling, but if I'm sparring, I become more aggressive and am more likely to leave extra bruises...or lock you up a bit tighter than necessary on the mats.

It's not an ego thing, I'm simply human and subject to moods. I've noticed it over the years of training. Which is another thing I've gained...better self-awareness. In every sense.

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hang out with Monks.

But not for much longer boo hoo, hmm...i wonder if there are any Shaolin Monks living in Taiwan...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA makes you strong in mind and body. You're one step above "normal" people. Better balance, reflexes, shape, cardiovascular activity, senses...

I like that, besides the "internal peace" and the COMPETITIONS!

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 3:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't need to motivate myself, in fact I have to motivate myself to take breaks (for school or work or whatever). Its in my blood. every time I quit MA for awhile, I just start dreaming about it, itching for it. My temper gets quicker and my stress levels increase. As soon as I go back I feel human again. I honestly can't envision life without martial arts.
    Exactly.....right now i'm experiancing MA withdrawal since i'm not training this summer....

my desire to get better and become superior also motivates me

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    http://www.fightauthority.com/

nedhinkly-"You are little more than a thug, street trash, if you will. I think from now on I will call you street rat, after a character in one of my favorite movies of all time."
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First you'd have to make it out to your own city's McThrowdown there, Piz...then you can harbour ambitions of ruling the world. ;P

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2003 5:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I know is that unless I get my regular MA 'fix', I get *real* cranky.

If it was a really excellent training session--sweaty, bruisey, and fingers that can barely grip the stupid soap--I've even been known to hum in the shower afterward.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast