Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2009 6:53pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by raylawley View Post
    Can't speak for peekaboo, but in CM your hands are NOT on top of your head and your elbows are NOT in front of your face.

Like so:
    YouTube - Part 1- CMD Sparring 101- Hunchback Stance
    YouTube - Part 2- CMD Sparring 101- Work Defense

As for body shots:

YouTube - Dispelling The Myth Of The Body Shot

It can tend to be a little more open to body shots; especially when you're a n00b like me. But personally, I'd rather be hit in the body than the face; and since I don't train striking as much as grappling my main focus is to avoid being hit in the face while changing levels and / or crashing into the clinch.
    Does kicking from the CM structure get kind of telegraphic, as you will tend to straighten up before you throw your kick?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/01/2009 9:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    leg kicks as a punch counter can work from that stance.. but yes you will have to stand up to kick from that position

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2009 5:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    The thing about getting hit in the body is that it WILL make you lower your guard, so saying "I'd rather be hit in the body than the face" doesn't really mean much.
    Oh yeah, for sure. But hey, the way I look at it is that it works really well but has weaknesses, like any guard. Of course, my level of striking is such that good guys would probably be able to punch the holy thunderfuck out of my body anyway, regardless of where my hands are :icon_thum

Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    Does kicking from the CM structure get kind of telegraphic, as you will tend to straighten up before you throw your kick?
    Well, I'm definitely no expert at this since my kicks absolutely suck, but my thoughts would be that if you set up your kicks with punches anyway it won't matter so much; but I'm not so sure you do need to stand up out of this guard that much anyway; at least, no more than you would with any guard with your chin tucked and your hands high.

It's not like you're leaning right forward; you still maintain proper posture.

But again, my kicks are sucky. So you might be right.

In any case, if you watch Rodney King sparring with this system, he doesn't have his hands like that all the time; when he's in what he calls the "rimshot range" he adopts a more conventional stance.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456