Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar
    to appreciate a side kick, u need to understand the advantages of a straight line attack... the power of side kick... and how it can prevent a person from getting too close to u...
    Yeah, Ash! Why the Hell don't you wait until you've actually had some experience in the ring before you start making statements about the utility or necessity of a technique.

Oh. Wait.

Nevermind.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 8:08pm

Style: Jin Jun Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya I fight in a slightly staggered stance...because if you are in a side stance you are not as quick with both legs and I use sidekicks alot for distancing and follow ups....unless i see a good opportunity for a rib crusher.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 8:43pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are so many other ways out of your predicament I can't see how this is a case for the sidekick.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    There are so many other ways out of your predicament I can't see how this is a case for the sidekick.
    Could you please explain to me how this predicament could possibly occur? Maybe I'm just being dense.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 9:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your some San Shou fighter from China, or stole Cung Le's talent, you're better off using a front kick to stave off those charges.

Fighting from a side stance has been proven to be not as effective as a time tested 45 degree stance. A committed side kick is very hard to pull off unless you use your rear leg in the 45 degree stance, and even then, it's very easy to see. So unless you're in a point scoring environment, or have spent untold time on perfecting the side kick, I can't see how a good teep isn't as good, if not more, effective for your predicament.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as has been stated, the problem with side kicks is landing them on a conscious opponent, not with the kick itself.

but they're great when they hit...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:00pm

Style: MT, BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lead leg side kicks just don't work for me. Despite being gumby like in flexability, it hurts my hip when I chamber it. Can't for the life of me figure out why.
    Spinning side kicks are nice though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:27pm

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    No, this does not compute. How the hell does someone trap both of your hands with one of theirs?
    Duh! He uses his deadly wing chun skill to intercept your punches with his bong sau, giving him control of the centerline, and leaving you wide open to a counterattacking flurry of chain punches. Your Muay Thai training has no defence.

Unless you pull your hand back after punching. But you're probably better off going with the sidekick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:43pm

Style: Maiwaydo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    basically my opponent use something like an uncompleted low blow, that stop at elbow level in fighting stance... his hand grab hold of my right wrist, while his elbow locked my left inner elbow... leaving me in a position that i cannot retailiate unless i turn sideway and use sidekick...

becos he is too near for my rear leg to kick, and my hands were trapped so i can't punch him or throw him, i must say it is a very good setup tactic for close-in punches...

even when i managed to break free of his left hand grip, his right punch basically took at least one solid shot on my body... and he really trained his right punch very well...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 11:08pm

Style: Judo + Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar
    basically my opponent use something like an uncompleted low blow, that stop at elbow level in fighting stance... his hand grab hold of my right wrist, while his elbow locked my left inner elbow... leaving me in a position that i cannot retailiate unless i turn sideway and use sidekick...
    Wow. I was trolling and my description is still easier to follow than yours. (You totally lost me on the "his elbow locked my left inner elbow" part.

Could you tell us what sort of tournament this was? In kickboxing, the wrist grab would be illegal. And in MMA or San Shou I wouldn't expect this kind of crappling to occur.

Regardless: the side kick is not what you need. If you want to be able to handle a clinch situation (and that's what it was, a clinch) you need to train for a clinch. Muay thai, Judo or wrestling is what you want to work on, depending on exactly what your goals are.

I actually think the side kick has some (limited) use, but trying to use it to control range will not work on any competent opponent
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast