Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:49pm

Style: Maiwaydo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Importance of sidekick

being someone new to the forum, i browsed thru the entire forum and found that there was not much discussion about this commonly neglected kicking technique, side kick.

well i learnt the importance of sidekick during a tournament, when my opponent kept lunging at me with a right hand straight punch, while his left hand trapping my both arms...

if i was more proficient with my sidekick, he would not have trapped both my hands, and i could have thrusted him away from his punching distance...

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't fight from a side on stance . So it is a rarity that I find the time and opertunity to throw a sidekick . I don't think I have thrown one sparring in a few months now ...

* shrugs *

When I fought from a more sideways stance I threw them more often .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like using it as a follow up to a rear roundhouse.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I don't fight from a side on stance . So it is a rarity that I find the time and opertunity to throw a sidekick . I don't think I have thrown one sparring in a few months now ...

* shrugs *

When I fought from a more sideways stance I threw them more often .
    that was how i fought previously... begin fighting with a front facing stance... and he exploited that habit by using his left hand to trap both my hands first before raining straight punches on me... i thought of using a reverse spinning back fist... however, becos he hold on to my right hand, the moment i do reverse back fist, he lowered his stance below my back fist...

after the tourney... i realised if i changed to a side on stance, i could prevent him from trapping both my hands and exposing my full body for his straight punches...
    a lead sidekick would have countered his trapping + straight punch attack...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I like using it as a follow up to a rear roundhouse.
    rear sidekick or lead sidekick?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really understand the necessity of a side kick. It's an ok kick I guess, but I don't see a situation that would require it. The situation you described doesn't really make sense to me.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar
    rear sidekick or lead sidekick?
    Well, it would be a rear sidekick, except for the fact that after I throw a rear leg roundhouse, my rearleg becomes my front for that split second that I fire it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:47pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good side kick hurts real bad. Unfortunately, it's kind of telegraphed compared to most kicks. Still, a hopping side kick or a slip side kick can cover alot of ground if necessary. It has it's uses but I'd rather stick to front and round kicks.

Edit: I almost forgot... it makes a good retreating kick... as often as that comes up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I don't really understand the necessity of a side kick. It's an ok kick I guess, but I don't see a situation that would require it. The situation you described doesn't really make sense to me.
    to appreciate a side kick, u need to understand the advantages of a straight line attack... the power of side kick... and how it can prevent a person from getting too close to u...

one drill to help u understand... stand in front of ur sandbag at ur punching distance... give it a hard push... try to stop it... what would u use?

either a pushing kick, a front kick or a side kick right?

imagine if u use a pushing kick or front kick, ur body will be facing squarely at the sandbag isnt it? if the sandbag has a left hand , both ur hands can be easily trapped isnt it?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to appreciate a side kick, u need to understand the advantages of a straight line attack... the power of side kick... and how it can prevent a person from getting too close to u...

one drill to help u understand... stand in front of ur sandbag at ur punching distance... give it a hard push... try to stop it... what would u use?

either a pushing kick, a front kick or a side kick right?
    Uh, I know the uses of straight line attacks, stupid.

imagine if u use a pushing kick or front kick, ur body will be facing squarely at the sandbag isnt it? if the sandbag has a left hand , both ur hands can be easily trapped isnt it?
    No, this does not compute. How the hell does someone trap both of your hands with one of theirs?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast