Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/18/2006 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want to see the arrow hit him in slow motion damn it !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GODDAMMIT PIRATEJON!! You beat me to it... :(

Anyway, it took Criss Angel several tries to catch one full speed arrow. So I'm guessing MJS is right. He is the arrow dude after all.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 4:41am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatMgrDad
    Damn, I was hoping this was a "who would win" thread...
    Like we need one? Archery for the win baby.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 7:47pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I was hoping this was a "who would win" thread...
    Archery:
    -Attack range is "medium" to "long"
    -If the arrow hits the right spot, it can deliever the mythified one-hit kill.
    -Slower to load a fire an arrow when compared to throwing punching combinations.
    -The bow can be used to "whack" someone at closer range and the arrows could be used as a stabbing implement.

Karate:

-Attack range is "close"
    -Deeps stances and "rooting" yourself tot he ground may prove disasterous when some one is trying to aim at your with a bow and arrow.
    -Weapon defenses will come in handy if the Archer decides to use his tool at close range.
    -Faster follow-up combinations, though the chambering of punches may slow down attack speed.

To accurately see who would win, on average, in a fight between an Archer and an Karate dude, we need to take into consideration different skill levels. Expert, journyman, and beginner/novice.

EXPERT LEVEL:

Lets take the best practioners ever of their respective sport/art. The Karate guy who would krotty chop the horns off of bulls and Legolas the elf.

Between two high level practioners, I would have to give it to the Archer. Not only can Legolas fire while on the run (denying the Karate guy the close range he needs), he has a far superior reload rate for his bow and arrow. Even if the Karate guy decides to get close, Legolas has shown skill in using his arrows and stabby implements.

Winner: Legolas (Archery)

BEGINNER LEVEL

I will have to go with the Karate guy at this level. I remember trying to shoot an arrow from a bow when I was younger. Fucking harder than it seems. Unless the archer gets lucky, I see a karate dude beating the **** out of the archer before he can get a good shot off.

Winner: Karate Dude

JOURNYMAN LEVEL

Tough call. I think it will greatly depend on "other" factors, such as starting distance from each other, the terrian, etc. If the Karate guy can make effective use of cover and is patient, I believe he can pull off the win. On the flip side, if the Archer can draw the Karate guy into the open and can wait until he sees "the white of his opponet's eyes", he will be the victor. At this level, there is just no telling.

Winner: Draw

In conclusion I would say that if you want to be good quickly, stick with Karate. But if you have patience and will be in a art for the long haul, Archery is the way to go. But no matter what art you choose, you have to be quick of wit and crafty with your manuvering.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with your analysis of the expert level is you don't take into consideration PKers, who often have several different characters leveled in lopsided ways to gain unusual advantages - for example, a barbarian focused entirely on speed and strength stats will be able to simply run down a lot of archers, who level more evenly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 8:21pm

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with your analysis of the expert level is you don't take into consideration PKers, who often have several different characters leveled in lopsided ways to gain unusual advantages - for example, a barbarian focused entirely on speed and strength stats will be able to simply run down a lot of archers, who level more evenly.
    Not at all. My analysis took into account an Archer vs. an Karate dude. Not an Archer vs. a Barbarian. (How ever, if you want to buy Archery strategy guide, I can come up with one for you.)

Even if we take into consideration players who spend their talents in certain areas for specific bonuses, you have to remember that the game is more or less balanced. If the archer wants to focus on talents to beat a karate guy, that is fine. Good luck to him when he faces a hunter (try shooting at the pet and hunter at the same time- HA), drive-by gunner, or-like you mentioned a barbarian.

Assuming both the Karate guy and Archer leveled "evenly", my analysis stands. Asking who would win between a karate guy and an archer who is maxed out to beat karate guys is like asking who will win- the deer or the hunter. Just doesn't work and such an analysis shouldn't be considered. Any class maximized to beat a certain class/style of play will beat the class it is designed to whip on.

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I lost IQ points reading this...

but now I'm not sure

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You definitely lost something. Sanity, maybe?
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    8/19/2006 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa
    I think I lost IQ points reading this...

but now I'm not sure
    Nah, Mega-Jesus' Barbarian PK Beast has the sword of wailing souls which undoubedtly afflicts it's victims with a 42hr -13HP and -7sanity sickness that can only be cured by a town healer (god damn they are expensive) or a lvl 50 or higher goodie Healer (I think if they have an orderly ethos it costs them 20 less mana). All in all I think your fucked because nobody messes with MJS's chars and if they help you then they're just gonna mark themselves when MJS logs off his barbarian and comes back on with his hero level Lich.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

**** you math class

Posted On:
    8/20/2006 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast