Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch6.html

This is supposed to help, but doesn't.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any pencak silat schools in your area? I say because the silat guys are usually less concerned about stretching like other martial arts but one thing they have to their advantage is really strong and flexible hips. The movements particularly their low to the ground tiger movements will make your hips really strong and flexible. Here are a couple of excerise suggestions and one general one.

The first is try spending less time sitting in chairs. My teacher has really inflexible hips and when he was first learning his teacher told him to quit using a chair when he was home relaxing. According to him it helped because he was forced to constantly shift positions and find comfortable ways to sit so his hips opened more. I don't know how long he did this for before it helped, but I tried it myself, even though this isn't one of my problems (for me it's my back). It was uncomfortable as hell but go easier, bear in mind I only did it for a week.

Also, and I hope this helps, are you able to sit with one leg tucked in and the other stretched out? Like the stretch where you lean out over your leg and try to grab your foot? From sitting here without the stretch, using your hips push up and "roll" weight up onto your knee so that now your sitting on your heel, but don't sit back and relax, keep your weight up using the muscles in your hips and quad, and then roll back down. That's one. Try this in reps and see if it helps. It helped me sit with my legs crossed for longer. To make it more intersesting switch your legs out each time and keep the exercise going like a rythym so that you never stop moving.

The second one is similar to the stretch for the outside of your hip, what my massage therapist calls the IT band? You bend your knee and lay the side of your leg down on the ground, stretch your other leg out behind you and lean out over the bent leg so that your chest is eventually touching it. The position you want to use is like this, except now you have your hands on the ground supporting your weight and not a stretch, lay the leg down by rolling over the outside edge of your foot and bring that hip to the ground, then swing your other leg around in front and place the bottom of your foot on the ground with leg bent like half a lunge. Pick up your hands and swing them over to the other side and then roll that leg down to the floor. You can do this is lines up and down a floor with a mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:14pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Why would weak muscles prevent me from stretching?
    What? Er..you mean the leg lift things? I'm talking about the dynamic stretch where you swing your leg up sideways.
    Last edited by Knave; 8/17/2006 5:18pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:35pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Few things:
    *Active stretches are a great idea and should really be incorporated into whatever warmup you do.
    *If you're having flexibility issues ( in your psoas, for example), do not go beyond light stretches unless you want to risk wrecking your own ****. Look at things like SMR (self-myofascial release) and consider having some soft tissue work done (ala an RMT).
    *I'm a big fan of the Pigeon Stretch myself. Remember to keep your hips level.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind, Poop Loops wins again. The link I gave has t3h corr3ct. I just watched some CroCop, Bakau, and Dekkers highlights and they tilt their hips when they do high kicks. Tried it on the bag, yes, it works. It's not super deadly, but that's because I'm not "loose" enough, but the hip pain is GONE when I do that.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Nevermind, Poop Loops wins again. The link I gave has t3h corr3ct. I just watched some CroCop, Bakau, and Dekkers highlights and they tilt their hips when they do high kicks. Tried it on the bag, yes, it works. It's not super deadly, but that's because I'm not "loose" enough, but the hip pain is GONE when I do that.
    Wait a fucking second? Your hips were hurting in flames all this time because you were throwing shitty kicks??? I will fear the day when you create a thread and asks why you are constipaded. :eusa_doh:

CroCop Yoga Postures FTW bitches!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Wait a fucking second? Your hips were hurting in flames all this time because you were throwing shitty kicks??? I will fear the day when you create a thread and asks why you are constipaded. :eusa_doh:

CroCop Yoga Postures FTW bitches!!!!
    No, dumbass. The pain is still there when I do the splits the "right" way. I figured that's how you kick, too, seeing as how a) not many people even kick that high (so nobody to correct me), b) I can also find examples of people kicking the way I wanted to, and c) to do a mid or low round kick you swing your hips. So I wanted to do the same for a high one. It's slightly different.

I have to do the kick differently because I'm crippled.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    No, dumbass. The pain is still there when I do the splits the "right" way. I figured that's how you kick, too, seeing as how a) not many people even kick that high (so nobody to correct me), b) I can also find examples of people kicking the way I wanted to, and c) to do a mid or low round kick you swing your hips. So I wanted to do the same for a high one. It's slightly different.

I have to do the kick differently because I'm crippled.
    This is what happens when you have homo sex in ungodly positions!!! :biblethum

****, if you really feel your hips are fucked up, and if stretching is not helping, then a chiro or a physical therapist may not be such a bad idea after all. Don't discount yoga, though. Two to three full blown 90 minutes yoga sessions with a certified yoga instructor can do wonders.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 9:21pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice is similar to JP's when your at home sit Indian style as much as possible or sit like white sharks yogapose:http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/485_1.cfm#
    Also dont underestimate the strength you get in your legs from rising from the floor as opposed to getting up from a chair.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/24/2006 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's a shame I can do either without any effort, huh (like I've already said)? Or else that could have actually helped.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast