Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:06am

Style: Jin Jun Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same problem sideways I cant go past 145 degrees, while I can do the front splits all the way and kick a door frame directly above my head.....if you dont already have one I would suggest that your dojo invests in a stretching machine it worked wonders for me but I still cant break the 145 mark.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:33am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally, something on this board that I can actually contribute to. Anyway, I had (to a lesser extent still have) the same problem. My wife does Yoga and showed me some great stretches that focus on that area. The Yoga Journal website has a great tool that lets you search for yoga poses based on anatomical focus.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/sea...micalFocus=H17

I found Pigeon to be the best of the bunch. I modified it a little bit from what is shown in this picture:

don't even bother with pulling (or trying to at least) your back leg up tp your head. Just get your legs into this position and lean forward and try to touch your chest to your front leg.

What I have found to be most effective however is dynamic stretching. It has made a HUUUUGE difference in my flexibility. Before I started doing this type of stretching I was just like you all. I could kick over my head straight forward, but I could barely kick above my waist when doing side or roundhouse kicks. Now, after warming up with dynamic stretching I could kick your head clean off. Well, maybe not clean off. I would leave a little skin attached so it would just hang there and bounce around.

A TKD buddy of mine showed me how to do the hip flexor stretch, bit this is the only website I can find with a graphic description.

http://www.acc.co.nz/wcm001/idcplg?I...4092#exercise2

go to the "Leg swings side to side" stretch and do what it says. The key to this stretch is keeping your hips facing forward. If you turn to the side, which is what your body will want to do, you're just doing a front stretch. If you're doing it correctly it will hurt both of your hips in exactly the way you've described. You have to get some momentum going so your hip stretches a little bit farther than it wants to.Do a set of twelve reps on each leg and then take a 1 minute break and walk around. When you do your second set you will notice a lot less pain and a lot more flexibility. Do 3 or 4 sets total.
    Last edited by Beaton Yu; 8/17/2006 7:41am at .

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 7:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    PL- chiro. I had this exact problem. she (and yes she was HOT) used strange voodoo chair of death to make my hip go "crack" and the pain never came back.
    are you serious? because I have that problem, and I want it to go CRACK and go away. Could you get a bit more technical for me?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 8:38am

Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go get it checked out at least, but I agree with Beaton Yu on the dynamic stretching. I do the leg swings forward and back, side to side and then the hurtle step overs as part of my warm up. It has really helped the the height of my kicks and my balance.

Dynamic stretching before you workout, static stretching after your down working out as part of the cool down.

Bry

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    Finally, something on this board that I can actually contribute to. Anyway, I had (to a lesser extent still have) the same problem. My wife does Yoga and showed me some great stretches that focus on that area. The Yoga Journal website has a great tool that lets you search for yoga poses based on anatomical focus.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/sea...micalFocus=H17

I found Pigeon to be the best of the bunch. I modified it a little bit from what is shown in this picture:

don't even bother with pulling (or trying to at least) your back leg up tp your head. Just get your legs into this position and lean forward and try to touch your chest to your front leg.

What I have found to be most effective however is dynamic stretching. It has made a HUUUUGE difference in my flexibility. Before I started doing this type of stretching I was just like you all. I could kick over my head straight forward, but I could barely kick above my waist when doing side or roundhouse kicks. Now, after warming up with dynamic stretching I could kick your head clean off. Well, maybe not clean off. I would leave a little skin attached so it would just hang there and bounce around.

A TKD buddy of mine showed me how to do the hip flexor stretch, bit this is the only website I can find with a graphic description.

http://www.acc.co.nz/wcm001/idcplg?I...4092#exercise2

go to the "Leg swings side to side" stretch and do what it says. The key to this stretch is keeping your hips facing forward. If you turn to the side, which is what your body will want to do, you're just doing a front stretch. If you're doing it correctly it will hurt both of your hips in exactly the way you've described. You have to get some momentum going so your hip stretches a little bit farther than it wants to.Do a set of twelve reps on each leg and then take a 1 minute break and walk around. When you do your second set you will notice a lot less pain and a lot more flexibility. Do 3 or 4 sets total.

GAH! You beat me to it!!! Beaton You is teh correct. Asides from the Lotus position mentioned by Kids and KP, pigeon is a good yoga posture.

Poops, most likely it's just your hip flexors that are stiff. For that, I'd recommend you take a look at this link: http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Inflexibi...ml#anchor30863

This is something I keep saying to everybody. A few yoga classes should be a must for good health. If that's not available, your best investment would be to buy this yoga & pilates instructional by Karen Voigh:

Another posture that can help with your hip flexors (and with your shoulders, back and chest) is the eagle pose:

For the moment, don't worry about the arms. Concentrate in getting your legs wrapped around. You may want to hold to a wall when you first try... if you can do it, then your hip flexors are not as fucked up as you think they are.

Other things that you can try (carefully) are the following:

Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)

Ardha - Kurmasana (Half Tortoise)]

Ardha - Matsyendrasana (Spine Twisting Pose)

*** EDIT ***

I just found this search engine on common yoga posses by function and anatomical focus. I'm bookmarking the **** out of it!!!

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 9:57am

Style: Judo, Xbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho

GOOD GAWD that woman is CUT!! She has a sixpack on her fuckin back fer Christ sakes.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 10:20am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Go ahead, I'll wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    if you dont know dont open your dumb mouth. in this case, you dont know.

LOL

Time will bear me out, and all the Yoga in the world won't change it.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Yep!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    GOOD GAWD that woman is CUT!! She has a sixpack on her fuckin back fer Christ sakes.
    [pig mode]
    He, why do you think I like watching that DVD? Strictly for health and fitness purposes? Psssss... yoga women are hawttt!!!
    [/pig mode]

[serious mode]
    Jokes asides, Yoga by itself can make a person insanely cut and muscular (besides strong and flexible.) My ex had a six pack and an amazing figure just from down Yoga (she was addicted to that, 2 hours daily, 5-6 times a week!!)

Anyways, the benefits of yoga and pilates for strenght, flexibility and injury prevention are just tremendous. Even if not done full-time, 5 to 10 minutes a day in the morning would certainly benefit anyone, specially martial artists.
    [/serious mode]
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 1:43pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Urr..if the problem being described is what I think it is, the people with it would probably have no problem at all with those various poses and stretches, but still wouldn't be any more flexible in the way they are trying to get.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast