Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:25pm

Style: sdfsdf

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Since boxers rarely participate in MMA (no $$), can MMA folks truly say they can box?

You hear a lot about Muay Thai guys learning to box Western style to strengthen their hands? But who are they learning this from? Are they going to the REAL trainers that actually teach professional boxers like Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson? To me is seems like even the hardest of MMA bouts like UFC and K1 don't really have a srong boxing game.

How many more years do you think until this is rectified (considering that professional MMA bouts are still young in the martial arts community)? Another 10-15 years?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:29pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine that they are learning at boxing gyms, or at least are getting boxing coaches in there to help them with their game. I don't know for certain, but that would sound reasonable to me.

As for getting better boxing in there, I think the kicks are doing just fine.

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Err...I hate to be blunt, but Boxers learn from Boxing coaches and Cage Fighters learn from Cage Fighting coaches.

Sure, MMA fighters use some boxing techniques for their stand up...but anyone could tell you how different the two games are. Therefore, you're better off learning from an MMA coach if you want to work on your MMA stand up.

Boxing has different rules, different emphasis on technique, different tactics...overall, boxing is a much different game.

Therefore, Boxing coaches should probably stick to coaching boxers...and let the MMA coaches get all the MMA fighters.

Make sense?

That isn't to say that some coaches diversify and modify their coaching techniques for different venues.

My step-grandfather is a retired pro Boxing champion/coach that also coached some guys from the Lion's Den a fear years ago.

However, he would NEVER refer to his Lion's Den coaching as "Boxing"...but rather "Working on their punches".

Like Karate, Boxing has become this generic term for hitting someone in the face with your hand. Such isn't the case, though, when you're looking for a coach. A "Boxing" coach isn't just going to teach you how to punch someone in the face, but how to win by points, fight style vs style (Counter vs Slugger, etc), and basically coach you in how to win the "Game" of Boxing.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfoot
    You hear a lot about Muay Thai guys learning to box Western style to strengthen their hands? But who are they learning this from? Are they going to the REAL trainers that actually teach professional boxers like Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson? To me is seems like even the hardest of MMA bouts like UFC and K1 don't really have a srong boxing game.

How many more years do you think until this is rectified (considering that professional MMA bouts are still young in the martial arts community)? Another 10-15 years?
    dear moron,

what do you mean "rectified"? punching is just a part of the MMA and kickboxing game. some fighters use their hands more than others but unlike boxing there is a whole lot more to train for. are you trying to tell us that boxers have better hands? well no fucking **** sherlock, and that aint gonna change. i bet if they focused just on boxing they would improve- and become worse at everything else. and yes, they do get training from "real" trainers. which you would know had you bothered to do any fucking research before removing finger from ass and placing on keyboard

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:41pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thailand consistently purts out World champion Boxers at the lightweights 122 and under so I'm sure ther is not a shortage of boxing school s there to learn from
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Err...I hate to be blunt, but Boxers learn from Boxing coaches and Cage Fighters learn from Cage Fighting coaches.

Sure, MMA fighters use some boxing techniques for their stand up...but anyone could tell you how different the two games are. Therefore, you're better off learning from an MMA coach if you want to work on your MMA stand up.

Boxing has different rules, different emphasis on technique, different tactics...overall, boxing is a much different game.

Therefore, Boxing coaches should probably stick to coaching boxers...and let the MMA coaches get all the MMA fighters.

Make sense?

That isn't to say that some coaches diversify and modify their coaching techniques for different venues.

My step-grandfather is a retired pro Boxing champion/coach that also coached some guys from the Lion's Den a fear years ago.

However, he would NEVER refer to his Lion's Den coaching as "Boxing"...but rather "Working on their punches".

Like Karate, Boxing has become this generic term for hitting someone in the face with your hand. Such isn't the case, though, when you're looking for a coach. A "Boxing" coach isn't just going to teach you how to punch someone in the face, but how to win by points, fight style vs style (Counter vs Slugger, etc), and basically coach you in how to win the "Game" of Boxing.
    Interesting. Well, I'm into amatuer boxing so I would still have to disagree slightly. While I never said anything about abandoning your MMA trainer, I don't think it could hurt to spend a little time learning a little boxing from an actual boxing coach, just as there's no harm seeking out a BJJ practitioner in addition to learning it via proxy through your MMA coach.

The comments in bold is well grounded, btw.

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    dear moron,
    Yeah I stopped reading right here.

Everyone else here was making intelligent comments, and you just had to come in her and **** it all up, didn't you?

Go give a rail spike the booty clap. Until you have something intelligent to post, GTFO the internet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:52pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Everyone else here was making intelligent comments, and you just had to come in her and **** it all up, didn't you?

Go give a rail spike the booty clap. Until you have something intelligent to post, GTFO the internet.
    What exactly was the intelligent reason behind
    "MartialArtsPlanet.com Thinks you guys are full of ****."

I just have to ask you see,
    because the only percievable reason would be to stir up ****....
    like a

TROLL.

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:54pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is a different Game. Learning Boxing to do MT may offer a different perspective, but still. It's like learned German to speak French.

Why and WTF?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

noob please, if you cant take the heat then **** off and stop being a *****. the only reason you didnt respond isnt because im a meanie its because im right. and intelligent comments? im still waiting for yours, all ive seen is retarded questions and poor attempts at stirring ****. **** off back to newbietown
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast