Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:27pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by From Bell2Bell
    I'm not very tall so my opponent usually has a reach advantage on me. Frequently when I spar I have trouble getting close enough to my opponent- too often when I try to close the distance I end up eating a jab without making much progress. Clearly a big part of my problem is that I need to work my foot work. If you've been in this situation what strategies have worked for you? I'm asking this in the context of boxing, but I'd be interested in hearing from kick boxers as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Timing. Once the taller oppenent throws a technique, advance. Parry, and advance. He can't jab you if he's bringing his hand back in. Mot well anyway.

And....:beatdead:
    Last edited by Seraphim; 8/16/2006 3:30pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    Timing. Once the taller oppenent throws a technique, advance. Parry, and advance. He can't jab you if he's bringing his hand back in. Mot well anyway.

you must spar with some slow ass people, though attacking as soon as the person is "finished" can be a good way to catch someone off guard. Most people seem to get into the mindset of engage-break-engage-break, so if they get attacked immediately after they've finished engaging, they'll often be thrown off.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 3:46pm

Style: Jin Jun Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim

I totally agree I am taught to follow every offencive attack by my opponent with an attack of my own...because if he is attacking something is open you just have to find it.....thats were lots of sparring comes in learning what is open when.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 4:07pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...because if he is attacking something is open you just have to find it.....
    Yeah, he was def. open, I just wasn't close enough to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Try to work more on cutting off the ring. Force them into to the corners. Try working more movement drills with a partner where you cut off their movement.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense.

Posted On:
    8/16/2006 4:47pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Most people seem to get into the mindset of engage-break-engage-break, so if they get attacked immediately after they've finished engaging, they'll often be thrown off.

Exactly. They are commited, and can't change direction. Playing the angles and ushering them into attacking followed by counter is one way to get in. After having said that, its also a way to get tapped in the nose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 6:39am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    This is probably a stupid way to do it, but I've had some success just covering up and walking forward, eating punches til i get close enough to swing back.
    Didn't George Foreman used to do this with cross guard?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 7:19am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he has superior footwork, you may not be able to maneuver around him. I suggest you see if he'll chase you. If he does chase you with a jab, wait for the jab, and step back. Repeat. The third time, feint like you are going to step back again, but drop your weight and drive forward off your rear leg, throwing a cross to his body. This should put on the inside range.

Practice moving your head side-to-side, pivoting outside of his lead foot, and getting low underneath the straight punches. Have someone put their hand on your shoulder and practice bobbing and weaving underneath it until you get the distance right for how far you need to drop to get underneath a straight punch at your chin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 12:12pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When kickboxing = angular footwork and take his legs.
    When boxing = work on slipping, bobbing, weaving, don't be afraid to attack his jab.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 2:43pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's attacking first, parry and advance. Most of the time, us short guys have to attack first if we want to chance to get in, so I'd personally initiate the attack myself.

Throw a double jab, really sell those straight at his face. Follow with a right cross to the body, then left hook to the head. My coach is only 5'7", I've seen him put a 6 foot guy to the canvas with that move.

Posted On:
    8/23/2006 3:44pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally against a taller opponent I like to stay outside and let him abuse his reach advantage until I'm unconscious.

It's a brilliant strategy that I suggest you try.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast